THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, kitstuai said:

So what do you think about the future release? We will get "The General" as we have it now without Monsters? Or both songs as a 9 minutes track?

Not sure. I think the plan was always to have the tracks back to back, so I think they would include both as one 9 min track. 

• Like 2

why would Fernando post the sentence "the general is a monster" before the vinyl is released and the 2 compositions registered together kinda like one song if Axl intended to only release the general for now? of course anything is possible in Gn'R land, but it would make sense to release both at the same time imo.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Just to be 100% clear, you guys seriously like these tracks, right? It's not more of a "I'll take take what I got, I guess" reaction? You listened to the leaks and you genuinely enjoyed them. It's not a joke or a meme or something? Can you confirm?

Can confirm

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Just to be 100% clear, you guys seriously like these tracks, right? It's not more of a "I'll take take what I got, I guess" reaction? You listened to the leaks and you genuinely enjoyed them. It's not a joke or a meme or something? Can you confirm?

I love them. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Monsters bridge, so good! :headbang:

The more I did, what I did, I did for you
There's no excuses for the hell on Earth you put me through
I never cared how much I cared, when I cared for you
To make it better there was nothin' that I wouldn't do

334875846-fc932088ea-b.jpg

It's such a good bridge that I'm scared what it'll sound like live.... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alfa75 said:

The incredible success and reverence of AFD has always weighed heavily on him IMO, dating back to the “bury Appetite”quote. GNR has released a lot of great music, but nothing will ever reach the heights of AFD in terms of resolution and coherence musically. I think Axl has been trying for almost 4 decades.

He stopped trying 2 decades ago.

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

How funny would it be if they released Soul Monster and it’s based on the Me & My Elvis instrumental with killer Axl vocals and a guitar solo. Possibly up to three tracks with similar names, Monsters, Soul Monster, and Monstrocity. My guess is as least two are the same. 

You're in fantasy land again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

it seems to bother you that others like these tunes. Can you confirm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

What a roundabout way to say you don't like them. It's fine, we all have different tastes, you don't have to belittle others preferences. 

I'm not belittling anything, I just find it very hard to believe. I've already expressed my opinion on them. I suppose the positive reactions are coming from people who thought the CD style was a good direction for the band.

• GNFNR 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

What a roundabout way to say you don't like them. It's fine, we all have different tastes, you don't have to belittle others preferences. 

I just have to ask what is someone doing on a GNR message board in 2023 if they listen to “Monsters” and objectively say it’s garbage. I have seen some people say it’s an awful song.

I know music is subjective. And I can see why someone might not prefer “The General.” Of the two, it’s the more Chinese Democracyish tune. You don’t have to like what I like. But people who come here to yuck my yum … what more can you want from a Guns N’ Roses song but some vicious guitar licks, catchy chorus, insane bridge, outro solos over band singing. That’s “Monsters.” It’s not a radical departure from “Illusions.”

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Monsters bridge, so good! :headbang:

The more I did, what I did, I did for you
There's no excuses for the hell on Earth you put me through
I never cared how much I cared, when I cared for you
To make it better there was nothin' that I wouldn't do

334875846-fc932088ea-b.jpg

I will forever dream of what that bridge with that Axl would have been like. Of all the parallel universes out there, we had to get this one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I just have to ask what is someone doing on a GNR message board in 2023 if they listen to “Monsters” and objectively say it’s garbage. I have seen some people say it’s an awful song.

I know music is subjective. And I can see why someone might not prefer “The General.” Of the two, it’s the more Chinese Democracyish tune. You don’t have to like what I like. But people who come here to yuck my yum … what more can you want from a Guns N’ Roses song but some vicious guitar licks, catchy chorus, insane bridge, outro solos over band singing. That’s “Monsters.” It’s not a radical departure from “Illusions.”

I like Monsters a lot more than the other one for sure. TBH I was hoping with the return of Slash we would be moving to a more bluesy direction, away from CD which was a good record but I'd rather it be a one-time experiment.

Hi everyone! I love both tunes and have been listening to them on repeat since Friday. The only thing missing imo is an epic solo in The General.

To my ears both tracks sound like they are played by the nitl lineup. Some posters got me confused with their doubt about Slash&Duff being on TG. I guess we will have and wait and see for the official release. 

11 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Gn'R is more than just 1 tune., I think that just cause you like it doesn't mean that everyone here likes it, but they still like Gn'R's other tunes or maybe they just like to discuss Gn'R and watch the live shows, who knows.

if I think this song is garbage, it doesn't make it weird to still visit this forum, even if Axl hasn't released many tunes over the years.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

I'm not belittling anything, I just find it very hard to believe. I've already expressed my opinion on them. I suppose the positive reactions are coming from people who thought the CD style was a good direction for the band.

I honestly liked them both as soon as I heard them, 100% knew The General would not be for everyone because of its super dark heavy theme, but at the same time if that’s not what you were somewhat expecting it to be, you weren’t paying attention to the buzz behind it.Monsters was just great surprise that I just like the more I listen to it.

32 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

I've been a skeptic and critical toward reunion. But yes, I confirm.

Edited by ©GnrPersia

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

These two songs turned up the aggression in this forum. Settle down, children. Let’s talk about how cool it would be to compare these to the earlier Bucket and Robin mixes. 

That would indeed be interesting just to see what they've changed and what they kept. I haven't heard the phone recording. I assume the lead guitar melody is completely different, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That would indeed be interesting just to see what they've changed and what they kept. I haven't heard the phone recording. I assume the lead guitar melody is completely different, isn't it?

Yep. We can compare the middle solo from Monsters. Both are great, but very different. I think I slightly prefer Slash's, but both compliment the song very well in their own way.

Edited by CaioAKR