THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's such a stupid thing, but it annoys me every time. I feel like I'm channelling @RussTCB here, but I've read the word "vinyls" so many times in this thread it's going to make my head explode :lol:

It's vinyl. Singular and plural. "Vinyls" is what teenage pop fans call those things that hang on their bedrooms walls.

I find the way some spell vinyl funny and also 'rhythm' Of course if English is a second language then it's forgivable. 

I have decided that you can be the head of the grammar police :D 

• Haha 3

janrichmond
This post was recognized by janrichmond!

"Grammer police badge"

Gordon Comstock was awarded the badge 'Great Support'

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I find the way some spell vinyl funny and also 'rhythm' Of course if English is a second language then it's forgivable. 

I have decided that you can be the head of the grammar police :D 

When should I expect that badge? :lol:

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I looked "vinyl" at dictionaries out of curiosity (and as English is not my native language). According to some of them, vinyl is an uncountable/mass noun (so no plural) when referring to the format in general, but can be used as a countable noun (so in plural, too) when referring to copies of vinyl records:

https://www.wordreference.com/definition/vinyl

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vinyl

Also found these:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/petitioners_want_to_change_the_plural_of_vinyl_to_vinyls  (:lol:)

https://www.goldrushvinyl.com/blog/vinyl-or-vinyls

So maybe it's just a case of elitism on the part of vinyl collectors? :P

Records, albums, LP's... I hope we can all agree "vinyl's" is wrong, and cassette's are really the worst format. :ph34r:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

We know what The General is lyrically, but do we know what Monsters is about?

My take is they’re both about child abuse but reflect different stages of the healing process. Whilst The General is more reflective, Monsters reveals anger. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, D4NNY said:

I remember in my first car CDs would ‘jump’ every time I went over a speed bump or pot hole 😅 I have a fair few records that like you, I think when I make my exit my son can have them, pass on the old gems for him to hopefully enjoy

I remember first discmans before ant-skip tech. Fine in the car when you didn't want to listen to your parents music but fuckin useless walking around. I'd wrap in towels and still walk carefully 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Great cover! Excellent work all around, but especially love how you got the smallest nuances of the bass parts. Congratulations!

Thanks! About the bass, the last chorus isn't 100% true to the original because I had a hard time trying to hear it. And also because, for some reason, I'm unable to play everything on the bass in a single take - I just forget what I'm supposed to play lol. I edited 3 takes on this video because of that. :D

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Apparently, the Instagram had no problems with my cover?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Czj0kx1iyWf/

So fucking cool! Really amazing to get to see the work that's involved, and to get to hear what Axl heard before he came up with the vocal melody over the music.

That does give a whole new appreciation for the work. Now seeing Slash do the solo live twice, do you find it weird that he doesn't preform it closer to how the recording is? At least the recording we have lol.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

So fucking cool! Really amazing to get to see the work that's involved, and to get to hear what Axl heard before he came up with the vocal melody over the music.

That does give a whole new appreciation for the work. Now seeing Slash do the solo live twice, do you find it weird that he doesn't preform it closer to how the recording is? At least the recording we have lol.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. 

Thank you! 

Not sure why, maybe we have a different take of it indeed, but there's also the possibility of him doing just whatever he feels like, kind of what he did with Absurd. If they ever perform Monsters live, I believe this would sound a lot closer to the leak.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

We know what The General is lyrically, but do we know what Monsters is about?

think its still about child abuse and vulnerability. the axl scream bit is obviously his comeback to his stepfather as are the choruses. The verses are a bit harder coz they could seem to be about a lover, but again i think they could be relating to child abuse and rape. 

One thing I don't get, if this song is what we knew as 'Soul Monster' Or 'Monstrocity' why change it to Monsters? Those other two are such better names for songs. Monsters is a bit lame in comparison, especially for such a heavy song

11 hours ago, gavgnr said:

My take is they’re both about child abuse but reflect different stages of the healing process. Whilst The General is more reflective, Monsters reveals anger. 

17 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

The bridge would seem to be about Slash. Or Stephanie. 

They bridge is definitely about child abuse. I'm not sure why everyone thinks every song is about slash. 

The first half of the lyric is all about a child trying to impress an adult and doing what it thinks will make the parent happy without knowing it was abuse, it's a common thing in cases like this. 

The second part is like his survivors mentality and acceptance he's waited too long for justice. 'no on left who wants the truth' 'the dirty secret' 'who thought i'd be around to shed a light on you' - I know Axl bears a grudge and is a bit pyscho, but if these lyrics are about his guitarist leaving his multi million pound success story of a band then it's genuinely insulting to humanity. but they're not, so dw!

The more I did, what I did, I did for you
There's no excuses for the hell on Earth you put me through
I never cared how much I cared, when I cared for you
To make you better there was nothin' that I wouldn't do
I doubt there's anybody left that wants to know the truth
The dirty secret that you hid away inside of you
Who ever thought I'd be around to shed a light on you
Well here's the story, baby, I got nothin' else to do

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sledge said:

I remember first discmans before ant-skip tech. Fine in the car when you didn't want to listen to your parents music but fuckin useless walking around. I'd wrap in towels and still walk carefully 

And nowadays we just hope we don’t hit an area with bad signal and lose our streaming. I’d take a skip over a song outright stopping. Happens to me often while working and it truly is annoying 😂

• Like 1