THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 hours ago, Lethalis said:

A better quality mix and production is still interesting to listen to.

Still laughing at people who compared GNR to The Rolling Stones. Just heard Mess It Up on Spotify and it's on instant repeat for me.

It's about a bad relationship as well, but in a weird happy dancy radio friendly way lol. Still like it a lot.

I don’t get the comparison. Totally different things to me.

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

I think that probably was coming....they're working with a good VT team (clearly) and this time they even have two performances to sync and use....I'm sure, at the very least,. they've produced one....whether it gets the go ahead, in the current climate, may be in doubt now....considering the song subject, etc. I'd like to see them carrying on like normal....be the most controversial thing they've done in a long time, for sure....

They recorded everything for sure. It shouldn’t be too hard to edit it in a cool video like they did with Perhaps, this time highlighting the US crowd. But somehow, I still doubt they will even release it digitally. 

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, everything that was "hunted" in that "Leak Hunter" 105-page pdf leaked by 2018 with the exception of the VMA rehearsal (which few people still care about).

And even the locker leaks were not completely out of the blue regarding the part of these CDs being in Zutaut's possession. I think it's no coincidence that The New York Times (2005) and Classic Rock (2008) had heard songs and Tom happened to be the main interviewee in both articles - it's highly likely that the versions of Quick Song, Atlas Shrugged etc. those journalists heard were the same versions we got to hear in 2019.

Pro-shot concerts and various footage (like the examples you mentioned) are a different story. Stuff like that may surface, even full concerts especially from the classic era like Saskatoon. There's also various other stuff from the classic era (rehearsals, demos from the UYI sessions etc.) that are known to be hoarded.

My holy grail is the 1996 jams that Axl said were some of Slash's heaviest, bluesiest riffs he'd ever heard.

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I find it even funny how people here wanna know how many unreleased songs with full vocals exists just because of leaks. We know NOTHING. And everyone who pretends his opinion are facts is just stubborn and narrow minded. 

I would err on the side of assuming there are not a lot of full vocal tracks, simply because from what we do know, Axl was a big procrastinator and not much was changed from the 2000 Intentions versions to the final album versions (in terms of structure and vocals). But obviously that's just an educated guess.

14 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

My holy grail is the 1996 jams that Axl said were some of Slash's heaviest, bluesiest riffs he'd ever heard.

I'd really like to hear those some day, too. I think the riffs that Axl talked about were written in 1994 during some brief sessions that took place in parallel with the recording of the Snakepit album (those riffs were different than the ones Slash used for Snakepit and were rejected by Axl).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I would err on the side of assuming there are not a lot of full vocal tracks, simply because from what we do know, Axl was a big procrastinator and not much was changed from the 2000 Intentions versions to the final album versions (in terms of structure and vocals). But obviously that's just an educated guess.

That's what everybody's assuming and all that based on the leaks. We simply do not know what hasn't leaked. Could be tons of unheard music, could be nothing.

11 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

The thing is, we don't actually know if Axl is a procrastinator. That's what many people assume, but it's not a fact. The reason why the songs didn't change all that much from the 2000 Intentions to the final album versions might be just cause they were considered finished tracks. But that doesn't mean that Axl wasn't working on new songs all the time. There's no evidence that Axl hasn't been working on new music all the time throughout these years. We don't know if he's a procrastinator. All we know is that he doesn't release music often.

There's not much that we know for a fact about these issues, but there's one thing that we do know. According to Axl himself CD2 was already done in 2014. Here's a quote from Axl: “We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out,” Rose said. “We’ve worked more on some of those things and we’ve written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That’s already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That’s been done for a while, too.

An educated guess would be to assume that the word "DONE" means that it's pretty much finished. Would he really say that the album is done, if half of the songs were just instrumentals?

So if there's one things that we know about how many songs are done, it's the fact that according to Axl CD2 was pretty much done in 2014. You might say that he's lying or whatever, but at least we know for a fact that this is what he said.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, Blackstar said:

I'd really like to hear those some day, too. I think the riffs that Axl talked about were written in 1994 during some brief sessions that took place in parallel with the recording of the Snakepit album (those riffs were different than the ones Slash used for Snakepit and were rejected by Axl).

maybe some of those  ended up in Ain't  life grand?

Edited by felixGNR

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Great stuff. It takes a lot of work to do those tabs and have it synched with the song and video. 

Just a heads up: the chorus chords should be played with the low E string also to make it heavier, it's not just those power chords. 

I've been playing the A-sharp chord in the chorus with d string on the 9th fret rather than 8th.

Not because i necessarily have any strong belief it was correct that way.

I just started that way when i first played it (just from my head - not listening closely) and i kind of like the way it sounds. Just adds a bit interest in a simple way.

• GNFNR 1

On 11/23/2023 at 1:21 AM, LandOla said:

Still waiting for the final mix and wondering what happens with The monsters

still hope "Monsters" is a unlisted hidden track, atleast on the Japan CD, if the Vinyl can't hold 13 Minutes like November Rain Vinyl.

The two leaks have to come from somewhere. I'm 80% sure it came from the wrong pressing vinyl

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

still hope "Monsters" is a unlisted hidden track, atleast on the Japan CD, if the Vinyl can't hold 13 Minutes like November Rain Vinyl.

The two leaks have to come from somewhere. I'm 80% sure it came from the wrong pressing vinyl

Too good of a song to just be used as a hidden track. If any song out of the ones we've heard so far deserves proper promotion, it's this one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DK6 said:

I've been playing the A-sharp chord in the chorus with d string on the 9th fret rather than 8th.

Not because i necessarily have any strong belief it was correct that way.

I just started that way when i first played it (just from my head - not listening closely) and i kind of like the way it sounds. Just adds a bit interest in a simple way.

A-sharp or D-sharp? This same thing you're doing is used in the second chord (with the root in D) on Monster's verse. :) 

I think Slash plays something else in The General chorus, but I couldn't figure out exactly what that was. It sounds a bit dissonant, almost like Patience when Izzy is playing E major while Slash plays E minor. 

9 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

A-sharp or D-sharp? This same thing you're doing is used in the second chord (with the root in D) on Monster's verse. :) 

I think Slash plays something else in The General chorus, but I couldn't figure out exactly what that was. It sounds a bit dissonant, almost like Patience when Izzy is playing E major while Slash plays E minor. 

D sharp sorry 😩

There's definitely something going on there I agree.

• Like 1

Has anyone found an entry for The General yet on the writing credits/royalties websites? Previously it was registered as General and Monsters. Wondering if anything has changed on that front given we are a couple of weeks away from a release of what we expect will likely just be The General?

• Like 1