Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

On 4/26/2024 at 4:19 PM, Blackstar said:

Yes. It says it in the loudersound link that vloors posted, too.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:18 PM, vloors said:

So this is actually the June issue, so it won't be in stores until then (or ship until then if you order it online). Same with the Total Guitar mag.

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

So this is actually the June issue, so it won't be in stores until then (or ship until then if you order it online). Same with the Total Guitar mag.

No, monthly magazines are generally released earlier (even more than a month earlier than the date of the issue, so they both would have to be in stores now.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

No, monthly magazines are generally released earlier (even more than a month earlier than the date of the issue, so they both would have to be in stores now.

Oh, well mine hasn't got it yet. I'll check again later.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Never understood why people preferred Rod Jackson

I love Rod, his voice is incredible and soulful. Perfectly suits Slash's blues influenced style. The only thing I don't like was his tendency to yell some lines during live performances.

But I also love Eric's voice as well. They're totally different animals, it's like asking whether Pizza is better than Ice Cream.

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

What I dislike is that Teddy’s also singing on this tour. Slash even considered him as the lead singer for the whole blues record until he fortunately came up with the idea of using different singers again. 

Dear god, is Slash deaf? Clink also praised his guide vocals for the album demos. I can only hope he's taken a lot of singing lessons since 1997.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I love Rod, his voice is incredible and soulful. Perfectly suits Slash's blues influenced style. The only thing I don't like was his tendency to yell some lines during live performances.

But I also love Eric's voice as well. They're totally different animals, it's like asking whether Pizza is better than Ice Cream.

Dear god, is Slash deaf? Clink also praised his guide vocals for the album demos. I can only hope he's taken a lot of singing lessons since 1997.

I totally agree about Rod and Eric.

After I read that Clink praises him as well I had to revisit Teddy’s Shotgun Shack which is pretty much GNR or VR fronting by Zig Zag and I have to admit that his vocals in a studio session aren’t as bad compared to the rough live recordings of Blues Ball. Nothing special either but acceptable. The song isn’t bad at all.

Edited by Free Bird

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Doesn't know when a new GN'R album will come out, but it will be after the next SMKC cycle and all new material.

So he's moved away from saying the singles will be compiled into an album? 'All new material' certainly wouldn't include songs released in 2021... Or is he just saying GNR won't be doing more covers?

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So he's moved away from saying the singles will be compiled into an album? 'All new material' certainly wouldn't include songs released in 2021... Or is he just saying GNR won't be doing more covers?

Yeah, maybe he means that there will be no covers. But from the way he talks about it it sounds like they're going to try to write new material:

Finally, the obligatory Guns N' Roses question. What's the status of that album everyone's been waiting for?

I think I'll be spending some time with Guns N' Roses after the next cycle with the Conspirators, but I don't know what's going to happen. As far as I know, there's no tour planned. As for a new album, I've only got one answer: there's always a Guns N' Roses record in the pipeline! I just don't know when it will come out. It will be made up of original songs, that's all I can say for sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 2

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, maybe he means that there will be no covers. But from the way he talks about it it sounds like they're going to try to write new material:

Finally, the obligatory Guns N' Roses question. What's the status of that album everyone's been waiting for?

I think I'll be spending some time with Guns N' Roses after the next cycle with the Conspirators, but I don't know what's going to happen. As far as I know, there's no tour planned. As for a new album, I've only got one answer: there's always a Guns N' Roses record in the pipeline! I just don't know when it will come out. It will be made up of original songs, that's all I can say for sure.

Thanks for clarifying. Yea, seems like he's just saying there won't be any covers on a GNR record, but I guess the singles would likely still be included.

The way he talks about it is almost sad at this point. He "thinks he'll spend some time with Guns" next year, doesn't know what will happen, there's nothing planned... they still haven't even released all the songs they finished years ago, lol.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

2025 Will be another year of silence :huh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Thanks for clarifying. Yea, seems like he's just saying there won't be any covers on a GNR record, but I guess the singles would likely still be included.

The way he talks about it is almost sad at this point. He "thinks he'll spend some time with Guns" next year, doesn't know what will happen, there's nothing planned... they still haven't even released all the songs they finished years ago, lol.

Yeah, and considering that he said in other interviews that he's thinking about making the blues festival an annual event in addition to continuing with SMKC, it looks like GN'R has no plans (touring or anything else) for 2025 either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, and considering that he said in other interviews that he's thinking about making the blues festival an annual event in addition to continuing with SMKC, it looks like GN'R has no plans (touring or anything else) for 2025 either.

I think it was the Coffee with Ola interview, he said if he did another blues record it would be originals, or 'maybe half and half' originals/covers... that possibility of more blues songs and the Serpent festival becoming an annual thing is honestly way more exciting than more GNR singles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing GNR releases next year is some 40th anniversary merch...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:45 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

Seriously. I saw Teddy will singing some songs and was horrified. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:16 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I will laugh hysterically if someday in 2026 or 2027 a new GnR album will finally be released and the first 4 songs are...

Hardskool

Absurd

The General

Perhaps

It's totally possible :D

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I will laugh hysterically if someday in 2026 or 2027 a new GnR album will finally be released and the first 4 songs are...

Hardskool

Absurd

The General

Perhaps

It's totally possible :D

Indeed it is, and they probably won't be bothered to remix or remaster them, so Perhaps will sound quiet and Hard Skool and Monsters will be loud AF.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Indeed it is, and they probably won't be bothered to remix or remaster them, so Perhaps will sound quiet and Hard Skool and Monsters will be loud AF.

Serious question: 

Is there anybody on this board who would be NOT pissed off with this?

Like, well, what did you expect, there's more songs on it you haven't heard, better than nothing, etc?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Serious question: 

Like, well, what did you expect, there's more songs on it you haven't heard, better than nothing, etc?

I guarantee you can think of a few suspects in answer to your question! 

Joking aside, I wouldn't be that pissed off with it! I didn't bother ordering the Perhaps/General CD because of the high import price, so I suppose having physical CD copies of those tracks would be decent enough for me. 

But who are we fucking kidding anyway? We know IF there was ever to be a new album all four of these songs would be on it, because it's GNR! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Serious question: 

"Better than nothing" describes Guns perfectly for the past few decades.

But, to answer your question, the wildly inconsistent mixing and mastering of the 4 NITL/Chinese tracks are not suitable as is for an album. Albums are supposed to be mastered as one, so there's not jarring audio level changes between tracks. Guns has shown they don't care about this, as the Perhaps single with The General are vastly different from a mixing and mastering standpoint. 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 2:59 PM, Blackstar said:

I had thought they were going to do something next year for their 40th anniversary. It really sucks I broke my foot three days before the MetLife show. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Anyone read a review of the record? Classic rock has written something like Beth Hart’s performance was unbearable :blink:

can’t imagine anything less than great vocals by her :shrugs:

You know what they say about opinions. Some reviews were really harsh on the Snakepit albums, which I considered hidden gems.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You know what they say about opinions. Some reviews were really harsh on the Snakepit albums, which I considered hidden gems.

Well, in the german edition of Rocks they  write Beth Hart is stealing the show from every other guest singer and she forced Slash to lay down his most soulful guitar playing in ages. They close the review saying she’d be the much better Myles Kennedy 😂