jacdaniel

The "New Album" Thread

Yeah there's no way those are modern Axl vocals, I'm not sure about the instrumental being re recorded, as with technology nowadays you can pretty much do anything to a recording that would you would like to make it sound different, but Axl's vocals are definitely old. 

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Who doesn't? Is there a quote from Fernando or someone saying Axl didn't re-record vocals for Live Era? I've never seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me :lol:

Until someone can prove otherwise, I still think SOYL is just remixed/remastered, and not re-recorded. Especially not the vocals.

I don't think Fernando was officially around back then, but I remember I read an interview (or maybe it was te AFD podcast?) with some engineer who worked on Live Era and he denied it was rerecorded. 

Not sure how would we have proof of SOYL being rerecorded tho.

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Even though I said I'm not going to get into it right now, here's the short list of reasons:

The closest recordings for comparison are the Live Like a Suicide and Sound City versions of SOYL. So after listening to that it's pretty clear that:

Slash's tone is completely different (it's his current NITL Silver Jubilee tone) and his playing is not like how he used to play back in the 80s, it sounds like his playing now, Duff's tone is different (NITL tone), timbre of Axl's voice is different - sounds like how he sounds now and not the timbre of his old voice, Frank (or whoever is playing the drums) is playing slightly differently than Steven originally did (specifically the 2 crash cymbal hits in succession in the verses, Steven never did that) and also to me the drums sound like Frank's kit does from the tour (specifically the snare and ride cymbal). Watch one of the videos of them performing SOYL in 2018 and listen to how Slash's guitar sounds and how Axl sings it. Sounds very close to this new recording. To me this is more than a shadow of a doubt that it's rerecorded, or that they just slapped a new guitar solo or something on it. That's way too many differences for it to be an old recording. I remember when they had that website teaser up with the main riff of the song playing and those radio static noises over it, even then I thought that it didn't sound right.

I agree about Slash's tone and playing style. I also heard the main riff on the website teaser and immediatly thought it sounded different than pre-AFD and AFD era. If SOYL was just a test mix for Mike Clink, I'm pretty sure Slash would still have the guitar tone and style more like the AFD demos. Just listen to the 1986 Sound City Session, his rhythm guitar is more throaty sounding, with a colder signal. His solo sounds like his Mockingbird guitar in this sessions, but his approach to the solo is totally different too. 

Not sure about Axl and Frank overdubbing it. But this is a very different case than Rock the Rock. I believe Axl is capable to still do pretty much what he wants in a studio environment. 

Shadow of your Love even sticks out a lot when listening to the remastered AFD tracks. Of course that's because the mix wanted to make it louder and less dynamic too, but there's something about the performance that don't blend well with the other songs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think Fernando was officially around back then, but I remember I read an interview (or maybe it was te AFD podcast?) with some engineer who worked on Live Era and he denied it was rerecorded. 

Not sure how would we have proof of SOYL being rerecorded tho.

I agree about Slash's tone and playing style. I also heard the main riff on the website teaser and immediatly thought it sounded different than pre-AFD and AFD era. If SOYL was just a test mix for Mike Clink, I'm pretty sure Slash would still have the guitar tone and style more like the AFD demos. Just listen to the 1986 Sound City Session, his rhythm guitar is more throaty sounding, with a colder signal. His solo sounds like his Mockingbird guitar in this sessions, but his approach to the solo is totally different too. 

Not sure about Axl and Frank overdubbing it. But this is a very different case than Rock the Rock. I believe Axl is capable to still do pretty much what he wants in a studio environment. 

Shadow of your Love even sticks out a lot when listening to the remastered AFD tracks. Of course that's because the mix wanted to make it louder and less dynamic too, but there's something about the performance that don't blend well with the other songs. 

As a quick aside here....it's the version of SOYL on disc 4 of the Super Deluxe version that was released as a single right? 

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Man something I wish this album could have is the combination of Axl's, Izzy's, and Duff's vocals. Listening to It's So Easy, Dust N' Bones, Patience, live all those tracks mesh well with their voices. damn shame we won't get it

Their three voices (along with Shannon Hoon’s) all blend together very well on the studio version of You Ain’t the First!

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

As a quick aside here....it's the version of SOYL on disc 4 of the Super Deluxe version that was released as a single right? 

Yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Their three voices (along with Shannon Hoon’s) all blend together very well on the studio version of You Ain’t the First!

Yes.

Thanks. 

In that case.....my thoughts are that it's been 'tampered with' in a studio but absolutely not re-recorded. 

27 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Thanks. 

In that case.....my thoughts are that it's been 'tampered with' in a studio but absolutely not re-recorded. 

What's the difference in the disc 4 version that makes you say that? Is it 5.1 too?

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

What's the difference in the disc 4 version that makes you say that? Is it 5.1 too?

Oh I just wanted to make sure I was listening to the right version for comparison. I've got the discs out now, so just gave them a spin. 

• Like 1

N

13 hours ago, Ratam said:

If it serve of consolation about this thread, Lady Gaga postpone new album due to Covid-19.

in these times a lot of people wouldn't have cared.. we are managing to survive and rearrange our lives.

no one can go out to buy physical copies. amazon is not shipping not-essential goods, she couldn't have done any promotion..

it would have been a commercial suicide.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

N

in these times a lot of people wouldn't have cared.. we are managing to survive and rearrange our lives.

no one can go out to buy physical copies. amazon is not shipping not-essential goods, she couldn't have done any promotion..

But then there's the fact that the product is delivered for free to the device that literally every person is holding right in their hands. 

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

But then there's the fact that the product is delivered for free to the device that literally every person is holding right in their hands. 

There’s ancillary issues with streaming at the moment regardless of who listens. Any platform that has a free ad based model is losing revenue. Advertisers aren’t spending at the same rate because they are shut down or consumers are only spending on necessities. Therefore the pot that is distributed in the rev share model is now smaller 

Most labels are pulling back. Labels rely on that rev stream and artists rely on the promotional vehicle to fuel other efforts. If there’s no touring on the horizon and less revenue in the pot, what should they do? Release it and make less? Everyone wants to capitalize on this album. The situation for that to happen just might not be there for either party At the moment. That can be said for a lot of artists currently 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

N

Indeed, it is the reason about my post. Whatever release now an album is to be doomed to failure.

The pleople have now they mind most in this outbreak, and how survive all this chaos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

There’s ancillary issues with streaming at the moment regardless of who listens. Any platform that has a free ad based model is losing revenue. Advertisers aren’t spending at the same rate because they are shut down or consumers are only spending on necessities. Therefore the pot that is distributed in the rev share model is now smaller 

Most labels are pulling back. Labels rely on that rev stream and artists rely on the promotional vehicle to fuel other efforts. If there’s no touring on the horizon and less revenue in the pot, what should they do? Release it and make less? Everyone wants to capitalize on this album. The situation for that to happen just might not be there for either party At the moment. That can be said for a lot of artists currently 

Who's "a lot of artists"? Most music releases for last Friday and this Friday have gone ahead. The numbers shown on the Spotify app would suggest people are listening the same amount they were before. 

Unless Spotify is reporting false numbers or there's something I'm missing, I don't see what the problem is. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Who's "a lot of artists"? Most music releases for last Friday and this Friday have gone ahead. The numbers shown on the Spotify app would suggest people are listening the same amount they were before. 

Unless Spotify is reporting false numbers or there's something I'm missing, I don't see what the problem is. 

If Spotify doesn’t get ad revenue, it doesn’t matter how many listens are there. There’s less to pay out

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The problem is as it has always been - that there is no new GNR album, just an ever revolving door of available reasons as to why it's everything's fault apart from the band. 

Just now, guitarpatch said:

If Spotify doesn’t get ad revenue, it doesn’t matter how many listens are there. There’s less to pay out

Not true. Spotify don't pay artists based on a nice little divide of the ad revenue. They pay artists a pittance at a set rate per listen. They keep the ad revenue themselves, as a further 'fuck you' to musicians. 

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

What about the massive amount of listeners who pay for Spotify every month and don't hear ads to begin with? 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

The problem is as it has always been - that there is no new GNR album, just an ever revolving door of available reasons as to why it's everything's fault apart from the band. 

That's what it boils down to, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

What about the massive amount of listeners who pay for Spotify every month and don't hear ads to begin with? 

That's what it boils down to, IMO. 

Oh absolutely. 

I'd have been interested to see what people would have said if this year had sailed by normally and nothing had happened again. I think they'd have played the "no point in releasing new music now anyway" card.

Or maybe the "need to wait until the Christmas market" (wasn't that always said about 'plans changed' live album/DVD?) followed by "need to do it in the summer to coincide with a big tour" angles when that didn't happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, allwaystired said:

Oh absolutely. 

I'd have been interested to see what people would have said if this year had sailed by normally and nothing had happened again. I think they'd have played the "no point in releasing new music now anyway" card.

Or maybe the "need to wait until the Christmas market" (wasn't that always said about 'plans changed' live album/DVD?) followed by "need to do it in the summer to coincide with a big tour" angles when that didn't happen. 

Probably those things you mentioned, or there's always the tried and true "plans changed". 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Probably those things you mentioned, or there's always the tried and true "plans changed". 

That's the classic. 'Just passing on what I've been told..." 

• Haha 2

Not that I necessarily disagree with the "no new album" theory, but if that's true what exactly was Slash working on in Axl's house last year, or a couple of weeks ago when he said he was working on "Guns" stuff in the studio?

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Those were my exact thoughts some days ago when I was watching the Vive Latino streaming as I heard the first G chord of Paradise City lmao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What direction should any potential release go in, whether it's old material or new material?

Should it be straight forward like AFD, a mix of everything like UYI - CD, Experimental like the leaks or something else?

I can see some travels getting released by next year or a live release, an album I doubt.

If they do I think they should work on a smart marketing campaign with professionals, there's a lot of money to be made.

Worldwide economy is going to be terrible after the virus. Gn'R missed a huge chance of making huge sales with a new album. They will never have an opportunity like this ever again

• Like 2

I don't think the band had plans to release something and postponed - aka "plans change". The only thing that clearly changed was the tour plans, and probably the live debut of a new song. This is reasonable evidence.

However, I am speculating about the possibility to release something because they most likely would have something finished. And because the current status of the industry wouldn't be as bad as some people say here (I've seen more than once people talking about "physical album" as if this would really be a relevant revenue stream). I see no harm in talking about that. It's 128 pages of nothing, let's actually make it interesting somehow. Better than complaining.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Worldwide economy is going to be terrible after the virus. Gn'R missed a huge chance of making huge sales with a new album. They will never have an opportunity like this ever again

I agree. Not only with the album. It's possible that the general world economy will have a huge impact in tickets sale in the future when all of this is over (hopefully). 

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with the "no new album" theory, but if that's true what exactly was Slash working on in Axl's house last year, or a couple of weeks ago when he said he was working on "Guns" stuff in the studio?

We may never know, but my guess is that he was working on new songs in some form or another.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I agree, they really should've gotten something out in 2018 or 2019.

• Like 1