An Open Letter To GN'R, Team Brazil, UMG and Those Who Are Ruining The Community

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

He's part of Team Brazil. As long as no one else says anything, he's the only official person we have reacting.

We might ridicule him, but Axl still seems to love him. Whether he's a leech of not, he's still an Axl confidant.

He's a "yes" man

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Del is a close knit part of GNR land currently, and it is frustrating that he would check out this letter and decide WE are the enemy, not the people making threats to people's families or the ones who actually used large sums of money to buy leaks and leak them while taking down fan videos

I just take it as a bad sign.  But I really hope we can get to talk to @Fernando

I dunno. I simply don't care what Del James might think about the situation, EVEN if he is part of Team Brazil (I thought TB was only Beta, Fernando and the daughter, the rest were employed in various capacities).

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I dunno. I simply don't care what Del James might think about the situation, EVEN if he is part of Team Brazil (I thought TB was only Beta, Fernando and the daughter, the rest were employed in various capacities).

He acted like a complete dick. 

I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay.

Fret for your figure
And fret for your latte
And fret for your lawsuit
And fret for your hairpiece
And fret for your Prozac
And fret for your pilot
And fret for your contract
And fret for your car.

It's a bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay.

[...]

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies
And fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

'Cause I'm praying for rain
I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom, please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

:thumbsdown:

• GNFNR 1

Seriously what are you going to do with footage from 2001 of a totally different band? What you are gonna do with remixes to decade old songs?

If only they put as much effort into making music as they do hunting down a Silkworms leak.

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Hey, atleast you didnt get tricked to spend a 1000 dollars on a remastered AFD in a big box

That wasn't a trick. That was consensual sex :lol: but you sure did get fuc....  nevermind:lol:

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Haha 1

Honestly part of it too is the fact that I do not think TB/Del/whoever realizes how big of a thing stuff like fan-made multi-cam videos from concerts are.  U2 and Pearl Jam have huge communities that do that for so so many of their shows from tours.

They don't realize that fans seeing videos of shows like the Ritz, or and proshot from the 90's only will make us bigger fans.  We upload what we do to youtube because none of it harms the band.  It only makes our fandom and community stronger.   Nobody except hardcore GNR fans care about watching those things, it isn't like those videos being up have any negative impact on sales - because they sure as hell are not selling any of that stuff (I wish they released it officially though)

They do not realize, or maybe they just do not care, that the media we all bond over with GNR is the opposite of harmful to the band.  It is in some cases the only "new" material we have to enjoy in between decades between albums being released.  It keeps us hardcore fans going. 

The biggest compliment we can give GNR is those fan videos made out of passion and the want to have GNR's music there to make us happy.  And the biggest insult that can be given to us is to meet video takedowns and threats against us, with apathy or ignorance.   

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly part of it too is the fact that I do not think TB/Del/whoever realizes how big of a thing stuff like fan-made multi-cam videos from concerts are.  U2 and Pearl Jam have huge communities that do that for so so many of their shows from tours.

They don't realize that fans seeing videos of shows like the Ritz, or and proshot from the 90's only will make us bigger fans.  We upload what we do to youtube because none of it harms the band.  It only makes our fandom and community stronger.   Nobody except hardcore GNR fans care about watching those things, it isn't like those videos being up have any negative impact on sales - because they sure as hell are not selling any of that stuff (I wish they released it officially though)

They do not realize, or maybe they just do not care, that the media we all bond over with GNR is the opposite of harmful to the band.  It is in some cases the only "new" material we have to enjoy in between decades between albums being released.  It keeps us hardcore fans going. 

you of course are right. the problem here probably just is, that a youtube video, in their eyes, is just not something they can charge everyone $1000 flat out. it's not easy money, instead it's quite a contrary. it's called a theory of loss of potential profits in economy.

Just now, Endless2404 said:

I wonder if this actually managed to be headline news if the casual fans would stop going to the shows

of course not. Going to a concert is more of a status thing than actually liking the actual music. (at least when it comes to Arena and stadium concerts) 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I just hope, for purposes of exonerating him from all accusations of gross hypocrisy, that Del James is morally upstanding enough to have never listened to a bootleg before in his life!

The man is a writer. He's too busy crafting Language of Fear 2: The return of the leach. 

This is my post from the other thread...

I gotta be honest here... I think MOST of you are WAY overreacting. I was ACTUALLY effected by this, but you don't here me crying. Now, the personal threats that a couple received, are inexcusable. But do we know for a FACT they came from the band, managers, label, etc? It seems to be the consensus that they were the work of a couple of crazy individuals, correct? How is that the bands fault? 

As for channels getting deleted, videos getting deleted, and even this forum getting C&D's, THAT'S the risk you take when you display or provide links to downloads of material YOU DON'T OWN. Like I said before, I had THE MOST POPULAR Sympathy for the Devil music video on YouTube. But according to YouTube's rules I KNEW the chance ALWAYS existed that somebody or some entity could get rid of it, period. I don't need an explanation, nor do I deserve one. At first I thought it was just MY VIDEOS, SO I was curious to the reasons behind that. But now I see it's BEEN EVERYBODY. That's what we get for uploading things we DON'T OWN THE COPYRIGHT to, end of discussion. That is why I personally stopped doing a gnr centric channel, I knew it was playing with fire. 

I understand that a lot of really good content got removed, things fans put a lot of HARD WORK into. But again, that's the risk you take. As a professional Youtuber I see videos DAILY with people abusing copyright laws,  and probably profiting off of those videos. Then when they get flagged by YouTube they cry and whine about it. To quote Jim Carey in Liar Liar "Don't break the law A$$H..."

Look, I'm not gonna lie, I have invested interest in this topic, as a Youtuber. I for one think it is a GOOD thing if YouTube cracks down on all content creators that sneak in copyrighted material into their videos. Why? For one, it's illegal. For two, for those of us that ACTUALLY own the rights to the video, audio, music, etc for ALL OF YOUR VIDEOS, it levels the playing field. Take my videos for example, I use music that was recorded by my old band as background music in all my videos. Why? Because I OWN it, I'm not profiting off of someone else's copyright. 

I can't tell you how many times that I've seen videos where a content creator uses a 2 second clip from Star Wars or another famous film. Did they ask for permission? No. Are they making money off of that video? Yes. How is that ok guys?

Look, many younger (yes I'm calling out the late teens/early 20s crowd here) have gotten into the habit (because YouTube has allowed it to happen) of making videos where they are just talking in front of a camera, but they splice in TONS of copyrighted video and music, edit them together well, and become YouTube famous. That's not ok guys, and to be quite frank it HAS TO CHANGE. Not only is illegal, but it's hurting, not helping, the film, music and Youtube industries. Why? It's making people lazy and less creative with what they are creating. Why make something unique and different when I can just steal parts from songs that I like as background music, and steal clips from Star Wars to make my video enjoyable? 

Now, according to fair use guidelines, you ARE allowed to use a certain (time) amount of copyrighted material for use in a REVIEW. Meaning, you CAN show a certain amount of footage from the film/tv show/etc that you are reviewing. But you CAN NOT put Star Wars clips (for entertainment purposes) in a video about Guns n Roses (just using them as an example), but SO many people do exactly that. Then they ry and hide behind "fair use" and it's ridiculous. 

My final point is this, this issue is WAY BIGGER than just a Guns n Roses issue. Youtube has been cracking down across the board. It started when advertisers didn't want their ads displayed before videos that they didn't agree with the video content. Ever since then, it's been a MAJOR YouTube issue, literally thousands of videos have been made about this issue, with most people complaint because they got busted. Which I just got busted for my guns videos as well, but I deserved it, as did they. Instead of taking responsibility for their actions, they whine and complain that "YouTube is out to get me." (Pun intended, lol)

Again, I don't condone ANY threats made towards certain individuals. That was VERY MUCH out of bounds, and I hope whomever made those threats is held accountable. But as for videos being removed or channels getting deleted, you knew the risks when you posted that stuff. That's not the bands fault, that's your fault. I know somebody is gonna say "but that band over there allows it". So what? I bet they are on borrowed time, they will get busted eventually as well. I literally just read today that it's been happening in the Beatles community as well. So it's NOT just Guns n Roses.