2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

7 minutes ago, zombux said:

I'm not sure. I got this tracks info from somewhere but I forgot where I read it. indeed these might come from some work-in-progress-remix-album, or some sketch album, not sure. just trying to think about stuff. 

Well, one source (don't ask) said that Ron was sent basic tracks to lay his guitar work on. 

Nobody heard the full track other than Axl. 

So whatever leaks is never the final track. I expect there's still some Bucket parts and low talking talking missing from OMG. Silkworms needs vocal over dubs and a Bucket solo. 

43 minutes ago, wasted said:

Well, one source (don't ask) said that Ron was sent basic tracks to lay his guitar work on. 

Nobody heard the full track other than Axl. 

So whatever leaks is never the final track. I expect there's still some Bucket parts and low talking talking missing from OMG. Silkworms needs vocal over dubs and a Bucket solo. 

I still expect that those screams are still in the final version of OMG. They're so hidden and so wonderfully done, it's almost like a easter egg (chidem is full of'em, btw)

"So whatever leaks is never the final track."
Like I said, the "final versions" are still in the collectors black market, but at least we have the songs in brick n' mortar. 

As far as OMG is concerned, I think this is more evidence that the 1999 music with Sean Beavan at the wheel was just more sonicaly interesting.

The tones, the textures, the overall impact of the music was better represented in the 1999 demos: Oh My God, I.R.S., There Was A Time & Catcher in the Rye.

11 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

As far as OMG is concerned, I think this is more evidence that the 1999 music with Sean Beavan at the wheel was just more sonicaly interesting.

The tones, the textures, the overall impact of the music was better represented in the 1999 demos: Oh My God, I.R.S., There Was A Time & Catcher in the Rye.

I always loved the guitar work at the start of that '99 version of I.R.S. and preferred the soft note leading into the song as opposed to the solid guitar chord on the album version.

40 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

I still expect that those screams are still in the final version of OMG. They're so hidden and so wonderfully done, it's almost like a easter egg (chidem is full of'em, btw)

"So whatever leaks is never the final track."
Like I said, the "final versions" are still in the collectors black market, but at least we have the songs in brick n' mortar. 

Shouts out to the portugal hoarders.

There is one thing I would like to take the opportunity to clarify now that I’ve heard these. I’m seeing a lot of people claiming that these have been tampered with by...whoever leaked them. 

As as some of you may recall, I’ve mentioned that I had these played for me (Along with everything else we got the 15 second clips of in 2013) some time back. I won’t say how I heard them or exactly when, so don’t bother asking. But suffice to say it was approximately six months after the 15 second clips leaked. These versions of Silkworms and OMG that have leaked are exactly what I had played for me in terms of musical content. I can’t speak for the actual sonic details of what I was played as I obviously wasn’t able to inspect the waveforms (And let’s be honest - it’s quite difficult to differentiate stereo and mono hearing them through shitty laptop speakers), but these songs are structured exactly as I heard them, there’s no guitar parts or anything missing to what I heard. So if these were indeed tampered with in any way, it was done at least four years ago. 

Just thought I’d throw my two cents in. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No bullshit, I had a friend who's not a GNR fan hear and say "this is my fucking jam!" I replied "Silkworms is no ones jam" and he said he was 100% serious. Then he said "If this was released in 99 or 2000 under a different name, it would have blown up"

He must have a good ear for music! lol

I wonder why this song never saw the light of day until now? Some people clearly are into this jam, so I would imagine it would have been at lease somewhat of a hit. Welcome to the world of Axl Rose

17 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

He must have a good ear for music! lol

I wonder why this song never saw the light of day until now? Some people clearly are into this jam, so I would imagine it would have been at lease somewhat of a hit. Welcome to the world of Axl Rose

I explained my POV some pages back. see what u think.

26 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

There is one thing I would like to take the opportunity to clarify now that I’ve heard these. I’m seeing a lot of people claiming that these have been tampered with by...whoever leaked them. 

As as some of you may recall, I’ve mentioned that I had these played for me (Along with everything else we got the 15 second clips of in 2013) some time back. I won’t say how I heard them or exactly when, so don’t bother asking. But suffice to say it was approximately six months after the 15 second clips leaked. These versions of Silkworms and OMG that have leaked are exactly what I had played for me in terms of musical content. I can’t speak for the actual sonic details of what I was played as I obviously wasn’t able to inspect the waveforms (And let’s be honest - it’s quite difficult to differentiate stereo and mono hearing them through shitty laptop speakers), but these songs are structured exactly as I heard them, there’s no guitar parts or anything missing to what I heard. So if these were indeed tampered with in any way, it was done at least four years ago. 

Just thought I’d throw my two cents in. 

Tks 4 bringin' it up. 

4 hours ago, wasted said:

Shouts out to the portugal hoarders.

I still say the entire "Portugal hoaders" story is all BS!.  By now, something would have leaked, been sold to someone who would have shared, etc.  They do not have anymore than I or any die hard has at the moment.  Just my opinion

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No bullshit, I had a friend who's not a GNR fan hear and say "this is my fucking jam!" I replied "Silkworms is no ones jam" and he said he was 100% serious. Then he said "If this was released in 99 or 2000 under a different name, it would have blown up"

i remember finding absolutely horrendous, disrespectful and pathetic that axl was naming his solo band "GNR". Not only there was no one from GNR in the band except himself but also the music had absolutely nothing to do with GNR.

The obvious thing to do would be to give it another name -- "Axl Rose" or whatever. Even calling it "W.A.R." like Steven Adler suggested on this week interview would be better than calling it GNR.

Now that you mentioned your friends reaction/comment, i noticed that it could also be smarter to call it another name. I dont think it would "blow up" because the people that axl associated with are not great songwriters and not great arrangers, but maybe it could have found a completely different audience of non-GNR fans -- your friend included

It just occurred to me how fun would it be if Axl had released his music anonymously/uncredited under a different name back then. I mean, people would eventually notice that it was him, even with the clean voice. But he could keep quiet about it and it would be fun to have everyone guessing "Is that Axl?", "Yes it is", No its not" etc

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

no. you don't get the historical aspect. it wasn't like GNR "ended" and let's say "NewGNR started". it was a gradual process. with every member change, there was no reason to rename the band, because every change was just not big enough. Slash & co didn't leave at once. there were mixed lineups and even dual lineups (the infamous "Shadow Company") sort of existing side by side. weird and complicated stuff.

yes, from the later perspective, indeed the change between 1993 and 2001 was way too big, but you can't really see it that way. if you really want to dig in the history, you might realise that they should have renamed the band right after Tracii Guns left - because the band had his name. but again, you just can't look at things like this.

when traci guns left the name GNR didnt mean anything -- it was just a name. no one knew about it. the name didnt mean shit. so much so that traci left and didnt bother to keep the name

a few years later, the name GNR was exposed to the world and it became recognizable, it began to mean something. the entire planet knew that guns n roses was a rock band that play this and that song, that have a very distinctive singer who sings like an electric chainsaw, who has a lead guitar player who hides his face with his hair etc etc etc. now the name had a meaning, you say "GUNS N ROSES" and it means something.

when steven left, a bit of that was lost but it still was GNR

when izzy left, his absence changed drastically the sound of the band and if you ask me, it wasnt GNR anymore

but you sorta say "OK they are in the middle of a GNR tour playing GNR songs and there are still 3 guys on it"

then slash left

then duff left

seriously...

when axl found himself alone in a room calling all the shots and taking a U-turn to create completely different music, that was the day that he should have renamed the band

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timoteo said:

So nice of this community to share like they do.

We don’t not allow leaks to be publicly posted for shits and giggles, we don’t allow them to be publicly posted because we could get in massive amounts of legal trouble if we act as a distribution platform for copyrighted material. Skwerl got in huge trouble with the leaks in 2008. And this isn’t a new rule here; I joined during the first bout of leaks in 2006, and never once has it been as easy as clicking on a leak discussion thread and finding a download link. 

So yeah, we’re a community that doesn’t allow sharing publicly. But if you want to have a community here at all, that’s how it has to be. 

• Like 2

On a positive note ( I don't see much of that here) In regards to Silkworms, I have a serious question - During that little breakdown, I think I can hear Axl singing/whispering something?? Because, quite frankly.... It's rather kinda lovely and beautifully sung, albeit out of place in an otherwise somewhat mess of a song. 

Anybody agree? 

Edited by Estrangedfx
Because

21 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

On a positive note ( I don't see much of that here) In regards to Silkworms, I have a serious question - During that little breakdown, I think I can hear Axl singing/whispering something?? Because, quite frankly.... It's rather kinda lovely and beautifully sung, albeit out of place in an otherwise somewhat mess of a song. 

Anybody agree? 

"Fucking little creature got yourself a broken heart"...  :rofl-lol:

Edited by Propaganda

Just now, Propaganda said:

Fucking little creature got yourself a broken heart... lol :rofl-lol:

That's not an answer. Haha. So I'm just hearing things, huh? Fiiiiiine. But if he IS singing something there, any idea what he's saying exactly? I know it's brief, but I'm curious. 

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i remember finding absolutely horrendous, disrespectful and pathetic that axl was naming his solo band "GNR". Not only there was no one from GNR in the band except himself but also the music had absolutely nothing to do with GNR.

The obvious thing to do would be to give it another name -- "Axl Rose" or whatever. Even calling it "W.A.R." like Steven Adler suggested on this week interview would be better than calling it GNR.

Now that you mentioned your friends reaction/comment, i noticed that it could also be smarter to call it another name. I dont think it would "blow up" because the people that axl associated with are not great songwriters and not great arrangers, but maybe it could have found a completely different audience of non-GNR fans -- your friend included

It just occurred to me how fun would it be if Axl had released his music anonymously/uncredited under a different name back then. I mean, people would eventually notice that it was him, even with the clean voice. But he could keep quiet about it and it would be fun to have everyone guessing "Is that Axl?", "Yes it is", No its not" etc

There is absolutly no way the record label would let axl release anything at all if it wasn't "GnR" or "Axl Rose". The mainstream public may not have listened unless stuff was released under those names....and we know what that means....Loss of income and there is no way they would go for that! 

I feel like calling his version of GnR some else would've been a great move. Although it the name would have to be something familiar, something related to GnR or Axl Rose. Something that grab people's attention and get them hooked on the great, new sound of Axl Rose.