The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

If GNR start touring again in 2021 and the setlist is the same, will that finally convince people there is no new material on the horizon I wonder? 

In my view the 'waiting to tour' thing will be replaced with something different at that point. 

What do others think? Will the 'optimistic' turn to pessimistic if nothing new is played? 

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If GNR start touring again in 2021 and the setlist is the same, will that finally convince people there is no new material on the horizon I wonder? 

In my view the 'waiting to tour' thing will be replaced with something different at that point. 

What do others think? Will the 'optimistic' turn to pessimistic if nothing new is played? 

Since 2021 is UYIs anniversary I guess people will be happy if they add more UYI stuff to the set, no need for new material. 

Illusions/Spaghetti box seems like the next thing happening over a new EP/LP releasing this year.  The band wouldn't logically release an album of new material very close to other releases, so my expectation for a new album is now 2022 at the earliest.  I'd love to be wrong.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

We don't know whether there will be any UYI-related release though, do we. You guys are saying this stuff as if it's a sure thing. Was there any Lies anniversary release in 2018? 

You’re out of the loop if you think the band is going to pass up this anniversary to cash in lol.

Lies was in the AFD boxset because they were a year late with it 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Gackt said:

Illusions/Spaghetti box seems like the next thing happening over a new EP/LP releasing this year.  The band wouldn't logically release an album of new material very close to other releases, so my expectation for a new album is now 2022 at the earliest.  I'd love to be wrong.

This 100%.

I think in 2022 when they have finished with the inevitable UYI reissue tour/anniversary they will asses where they are regarding new material. If Axl is happy with what they have we may get an album in 2022/2023 if we're extremely lucky.

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Since 2021 is UYIs anniversary I guess people will be happy if they add more UYI stuff to the set, no need for new material. 

Ah of course. Personally, despite UYI 2 being my favourite album of all time, I consider that a miserable prospect. 

28 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

There’s only gonna be a handful of shows next year at this point, tho (if any). Does waiting really still make a difference, at this point?

I'd say absolutely not. As proven by the many major artists who have or are putting out albums despite not being able to tour. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

They won’t release new material if they won’t be touring behind it. 

You're probably right, but I truly believe there is nothing to gain by holding back any new release.

They could release one or two songs, just to test the waters and see what reaction they get. This isn't rocket science. It's art. Just share it with your fans already, Axl!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

The tour to support Chinese following its release came 13 months after the fact, I wouldn’t be against them doing likewise again, especially given the potential delay on any return to live venues.

You could argue it gives the album 'two pushes' too. One when it comes out, another when you tour it. 

All this assumes the album even exists of course! 

• GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, EricA said:

No, cause there was the AfD "anniversary release" :lol:

True. 

14 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You’re out of the loop if you think the band is going to pass up this anniversary to cash in lol.

Lies was in the AFD boxset because they were a year late with it 

Maybe, maybe. Depends on how much Axl steps in or whether he'll just leave everything up to F'nando The Manager of the Decade. However, I still maintain that even if they released some UYI boxset, that wouldn't necessarily have to mean a new album release being postponed by any number of years. Could be out within the same year, why not. People will compare it with everything they've done so far anyway. 

22 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

This 100%.

I think in 2022 when they have finished with the inevitable UYI reissue tour/anniversary they will asses where they are regarding new material. If Axl is happy with what they have we may get an album in 2022/2023 if we're extremely lucky.

Let's pretend that Covid19 will be a thing of the past next year (hopefully). 

UYI Anniversary Box set 2021

UYI Anniversary Tour 2021-23

Festival Tour 2024-25

New album 2026-30

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

They could and should but they are a joke.. They couldn't even release one song to help promote the NITL tour.. They have been "back together" 4 1/2 years and haven't produced jack shit... Not that I have high expectations or excitement for new music at this point.  I would have had more 4 years ago though..

I disagree with this statement. By “they”, you must omit the traveling circus as well as Duff and Slash. There’s nothing holding back the release of new music, this entirely falls on one Axl Rose. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jamillos said:

True. 

Maybe, maybe. Depends on how much Axl steps in or whether he'll just leave everything up to F'nando The Manager of the Decade. However, I still maintain that even if they released some UYI boxset, that wouldn't necessarily have to mean a new album release being postponed by any number of years. Could be out within the same year, why not. People will compare it with everything they've done so far anyway. 

I thought UMG is completely managing the whole anniversary?. Thats what i got from Troccolis post ....sounds like UMG isnt getting TB involved in this whatsoever. Which im sure will be for the best.

Edited by Sydney Fan

55 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I thought UMG is completely managing the whole anniversary?. Thats what i got from Troccolis post ....sounds like UMG isnt getting TB involved in this whatsoever. Which im sure will be for the best.

They are, you are correct. Same as the AFD Locked N Loaded box.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

They are, you are correct. Same as the AFD Locked N Loaded box.

Albeit there must be some band involvement as with the AFD sets Axls personal photos were included?

59 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Albeit there must be some band involvement as with the AFD sets Axls personal photos were included?

There was also the story about Slash and Duff coming to look at things like the stage banner too, so there must be some interaction. 

It's most likely a case of "this is happening whether you like it or not and you're welcome to be involved....but if you're not it's getting released whatever." I believe that's the case with a lot of reissues. Most bands choose to become involved to some degree simply to make sure nothing too bad gets released. 

Obviously (as with GH) the label will just go ahead without band involvement if they choose to.