The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 hours ago, Cosmo said:

And that’s mostly GnR’s fault. The less you release stuff, the more expectation you generate around the “next release” and so the more pressure you’ll get from fans. Pretty natural. Fans get “one shot” at a GnR album every tao decades, so I understand getting pissed if you think it sucks. If they released an album every three or four years like a normal band, maybe fans would chill and it would give them a lot more space to experiment.

GNR’s output verges on criminal. Axl should have just started his own band like “Axl’s Roses” or some other corny play on GNR. Keeping that GNR brand going with next to no output all these years have soured his most endearing fans. 

• Like 1

I think at this stage they've lost any real chance of being relevant as far as an act that releases new music goes, which is a shame. 

There was a chance they could have been considered that around that time of the reunion or just before the pandemic but they're just a nostalgia touring act now.

It's unfortunate as had things been different we could have had a lot more new music between Chinese era and the reunion but I think it's run its course now, which is evident in how muted the response was to the two new songs. Back in the Chinese era it felt like there was genuine intrigue from the general population when a new song leaked or if something fresh happened, but I think anything they do now as far as music goes will be a damp squib. 

Maybe they're content being a touring act, if they love playing live then more power to them, but as a fan it's a real shame that we've likely seen the end of any creativity. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

I think at this stage they've lost any real chance of being relevant as far as an act that releases new music goes, which is a shame. 

There was a chance they could have been considered that around that time of the reunion or just before the pandemic but they're just a nostalgia touring act now.

It's unfortunate as had things been different we could have had a lot more new music between Chinese era and the reunion but I think it's run its course now, which is evident in how muted the response was to the two new songs. Back in the Chinese era it felt like there was genuine intrigue from the general population when a new song leaked or if something fresh happened, but I think anything they do now as far as music goes will be a damp squib. 

Maybe they're content being a touring act, if they love playing live then more power to them, but as a fan it's a real shame that we've likely seen the end of any creativity. 

They're in Stones territory now in terms of a live act, however, while The Stones haven't released a new album of original material in 17 years off the top of my head, Jagger will still occasionally drop info on how they're getting on with recording, at least he was during the pandemic/prior to Charlie's passing. The demand is still massive for the Stones and that has never waned in the last 30 years or so, where they've consistently played massive venues across the globe. GN'R I think will always do well in stadiums in Europe and South America for the rest of the bands lifespan, the US is probably a different matter, but I'd be surprised if they aren't doing higher capacity arenas at the very least in the next 5/10 years or so in America.

It's disappointing that potential was never capitalized on over the last 25 years and I did think that Slash and Duff coming back into the fold would motivate Axl to release more music, but it is what it is at this point. My frustrations at the band on a musical front seemed to dissipate when Axl hit those road blocks in London and the postponement/cancellation of the show in Glasgow - I was gutted for him and it must have been horrendous for something like that to happen at a show of that stature. They're human and the voice is a delicate instrument, especially when you reach a certain age, so it hit home that we need to enjoy them while we can and if new music drops, it's a bonus. 

8 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

GNR’s output verges on criminal. Axl should have just started his own band like “Axl’s Roses” or some other corny play on GNR. Keeping that GNR brand going with next to no output all these years have soured his most endearing fans. 

All the new music talk is the hook to reel you into buying overpriced music we’ve heard as many times as Bezos’ net worth. I doubt people would be as critical as they are if we got something more than what they’re offering which is bordering on grifting as this point. 

Dodgy live performances

atrocity level fan connection 

Kroger brand creativity on merch 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dean said:

They're in Stones territory now in terms of a live act, however, while The Stones haven't released a new album of original material in 17 years off the top of my head, Jagger will still occasionally drop info on how they're getting on with recording, at least he was during the pandemic/prior to Charlie's passing. The demand is still massive for the Stones and that has never waned in the last 30 years or so, where they've consistently played massive venues across the globe. GN'R I think will always do well in stadiums in Europe and South America for the rest of the bands lifespan, the US is probably a different matter, but I'd be surprised if they aren't doing higher capacity arenas at the very least in the next 5/10 years or so in America.

It's disappointing that potential was never capitalized on over the last 25 years and I did think that Slash and Duff coming back into the fold would motivate Axl to release more music, but it is what it is at this point. My frustrations at the band on a musical front seemed to dissipate when Axl hit those road blocks in London and the postponement/cancellation of the show in Glasgow - I was gutted for him and it must have been horrendous for something like that to happen at a show of that stature. They're human and the voice is a delicate instrument, especially when you reach a certain age, so it hit home that we need to enjoy them while we can and if new music drops, it's a bonus. 

Stones fan here. 2016 had the covers album Blue and Lonesome recorded and released.  This was a warm up covers lp recorded while they were waiting on mixers/engineers etc for their upcoming new material LP.

New material album had a handful a tracks recorded but then was delayed due to lockdowns.

Lockdown 2020 they released a new recorded single Living in a Ghost Town.

Decline and death of Charlie added to delays.  After Charlie died they have added Steve Jordan for drums and have recorded a further 9 new songs for the upcoming album.

All the while new remastered versions of prior classic albums with unreleased tracks have also been released.

Additionally they do already have a massive back catalogue of music they can tour with and do throw in song surprises that never had been played before.

But yeah I do agree the wasted potential of GNR is disappointing. They could of been the next Rolling Stones if the front man had his shit together years ago.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

If I were king for a day I would have the band follow what Aerosmith did to become relevant again back in the late 80s early 90s

1) collabe with a major pop star/dj to get a new song actually played and introduce new music and gnr to a new generation of fans

2) have outside writers “help out” and give the band 2-3 radio friendly singles that reintroduce rock music 

3) feather in an additional 9 songs of new music entirely written by gnr and not Chinese left overs to make a 12 song album 

this is a total sell out plan but I think the right recipe to gain momentum and get new music out.  Continue the cash grabs with a UYI box set and a Chinese B sides album.   Flush out all the songs lingering around since 1999 and move on.   
this just my opinion and will never happen.  But would love to see gnr on top of the music scene again and not just release music that only diehards like us will hear 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 1987b said:

If I were king for a day I would have the band follow what Aerosmith did to become relevant again back in the late 80s early 90s

1) collabe with a major pop star/dj to get a new song actually played and introduce new music and gnr to a new generation of fans

2) have outside writers “help out” and give the band 2-3 radio friendly singles that reintroduce rock music 

GnR are still relevant. Even without a new album they are selling out stadiums around the world.
Aerosmith weren't even selling out clubs anymore by the early and mid 80's until MTV embraced them and started playing their videos. It wasn't just Run DMC and the outside songwriters that made them become relevant again. MTV played a big part.

40 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

GNR are not relevant, they are relics of a bygone era, forever cemented in the annals of pop-culture and musical history. They were such a strong force that there is enough lingering interest in nostalgia that they can continue to tour on the backs of their limited but monumental records despite being fronted by a feckless lead singer with declining abilities. 

Jesus, would I hate myself if I was going through life with such a negative mindset all the time

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Jesus, would I hate myself if I was going through life with such a negative mindset all the time

No one asked for your opinion on what you perceive my mindset to be. If you have nothing to add or nothing to debate then keep your attacks that masquerade as discourse to yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

No one asked for your opinion on what you perceive my mindset to be. If you have nothing to add or nothing to debate then keep your attacks that masquerade as discourse to yourself. 

Sorry. Didn't know you had to ask for permission on a forum to state your opinion. Glad you enlightened me

• Like 1

I noticed that someone has upload full versions of The General,  Me and my Elvis, Perhaps, etc onto YouTube. 

The General sounds really interesting. Nothing and Blood in the Water could be good tunes as well. 

If Slash and Duff have been reworking these songs there could be enough material for an album.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, siraddam said:

I noticed that someone has upload full versions of The General,  Me and my Elvis, Perhaps, etc onto YouTube. 

The General sounds really interesting. Nothing and Blood in the Water could be good tunes as well. 

If Slash and Duff have been reworking these songs there could be enough material for an album.

"The General" is fake and has been posted several times over the years. It was made by @evader and is really well done, though.

31 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The output of Stones doesn’t bother me because they have quite literally dozens of albums and hundreds of songs. I would love new music sure but I think when you have this significant of an output I could really care less if you’re not releasing albums into your 80’s.

Gnr though? For fucks sake, this band has 4 albums of original material, 5 if you count Lies. Stones deserve to be a touring act at this point-Guns can do whatever they want but it’s objectively shitty they’re a nostalgia act with this little material. 

The Stones are at the very top of the pyramid. They don’t have to release anything, they’ve already secured their position as the greatest rock band in history. 

Obviously with GNR, it’s a different story. And when I say “GNR”, I really mean “Axl”. The band in all its incarnations have never been the determining factor in how little was recorded and released.

It must suck on many levels to be a talented musician tied to a band that doesn’t do much but tour. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

GNR are not relevant, they are relics of a bygone era, forever cemented in the annals of pop-culture and musical history. They were such a strong force that there is enough lingering interest in nostalgia that they can continue to tour on the backs of their limited but monumental records despite being fronted by a feckless lead singer with declining abilities. 

Haha... any band from the 80's or 90's is a nostalgia act by now.
Metallica, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, they have all been touring Europe these past few months.
And even though those bands still release records, they are still nostalgia acts because they play mostly songs from 20/30/40 years ago.
Maybe Pearl Jam are the exception because they mix their setlist up quite a lot, even though they still play a lot of 90's stuff too.
GnR are still selling out stadiums in 2022. That makes them relevant in my book.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Metallica, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, they have all been touring Europe these past few months.
And even though those bands still release records, they are still nostalgia acts because they play mostly songs from 20/30/40 years ago.
Maybe Pearl Jam are the exception because they mix their setlist up quite a lot, even though they still play a lot of 90's stuff too.
GnR are still selling out stadiums in 2022. That makes them relevant in my book.

When Hardwired was released, Metallica played 5/6 songs of it in the show. The same with Death Magnetic. When they release something new, they play it heaivily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Like you said, they still make albums. And the bands you mentioned have stayed relevant by releasing music and have a good rapport with their fans. Those bands also have multitudes of material. 

GNR are too limited by their catalogue, much of which Axl cannot do justice to. Also GNR are not a creative force, there’s no creativity and opportunities stymied. You are getting a slightly  varied version of a lowest case denominator unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Like you said, they still make albums. And the bands you mentioned have stayed relevant by releasing music and have a good rapport with their fans. Those bands also have multitudes of material. 

When they play mostly songs from 20/30/40 years ago, they're basically a nostalgia act. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens when most of your biggest hits are from decades ago and you are not the type of band that only performs new material. And that goes for most bands/artists. Red Hot Chili Peppers' setlist nowadays is on average 4 songs from the new record. The rest are from 1984-2006.  GnR released two new songs less than a year ago that they play most gigs. Not that different. As for not having a good rapport with their fans? What?!

8 hours ago, Jw224 said:

GNR fans like to pretend that every other band from the 90s is like them so that they can brush off any complaints anyone has about how they operate.

I don't know if you're referring to me, but you are totally missing the point again.
People like you can't accept that not everyone will always criticize everything regarding GnR.
All I am saying is that GnR are still relevant in my book when they're still selling out stadiums. Odd, huh?
Then the response I receive is that they can't be relevant because they're a nostalgia act. Uhm?
So I said that most acts that have been around for that long have become nostalgia acts by now, and that's true.
The argument that they're not nostalgia acts because they're still releasing records is irrelevant when 80-90% of the setlist consists of songs from decades ago.
So how am I brushing off complaints exactly?

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1