The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

The worst was 2003 to 2005. That was a true wilderness. And no info, pre-websites, pre-social media, no shows, nothing. Apart from a new uncertainty as we learned that a key guitarist left. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Aight, well, it's subjective, I suppose. You think it is boring when the band is working on new music and releasing singles, I think it is boring when they don't.

Exactly, we have releases, hopes for future releases, and touring. This is not so bad for most bands and damn great for GN’R

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The worst was 2003 to 2005. That was a true wilderness. And no info, pre-websites, pre-social media, no shows, nothing. Apart from a new uncertainty as we learned that a key guitarist left. 

That was a really bad period, yes. The 2002 touring had ended in cancellation and media was full of speculation about the band ending. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

As for the above debate, this is always a question of how you want to look at things, and I suppose both approaches are right (I consider myself being somewhere between, plus I don’t like b&w extremes anyway). 

On the one hand you can say the band is actively touring, they occasionally release some older material and recently (for Guns, a year ago is recently) released two new songs, plus there is quite a promising outlook to the future regarding new material. Fences have been mended. 

On the other hand you can say they’ve been playing the same stuff for over 5 years (a span of their almost entire career in the heydays), with just minor changes (a new cover or a deep cut), aka the exact opposite of what Axl stood for in the original era; Axl’s voice form has been going downhill since 2017, and this year (another year of the never-ending NITL tour) he sometimes even couldn’t sing, plus he gave his best to a different band; the box set releases probably aren’t exactly their own idea and maybe it wouldn’t have happened at all if it was solely up to Axl; the two "new" songs are 20-year old demos that don’t really give any testimony about the band’s current status in terms of functioning as a living organism, plus Axl didn’t have to lift a finger for the recording process, with his vocal tracks being from 1999/2000; and it looks like this kind of patchwork might be what the entire "new album" will consist of; and last but not least, the genius of their PR led by "yes, no, maybe" people who keep dangling some mythical new stuff in front of us, never to address it ever again when it somehow doesn’t work out, not even with the evergreen "plans changed". Also no proper videos for the singles, no old videos (until the upcoming box set), no communication as usual, nothing. It was really promising in 2016/17, but they took a wrong turn around 2018, and it shows – has ever since. Don’t wanna call it a cash-grab, but what else is it? I know Axl has always had problems with pacing, but come on, this is ridiculous. How do other bands do it? 

So it’s hard. But even though the "negative" paragraph is way longer, I’m still not throwing in the towel. Both views are legitimate, both views are understandable, but like I say, it’s hard. 

What we've got here is failure to communicate
Some men, you just can't reach
So you get what we had here last week
Which is the way he wants it
Well, he gets it...

And I don't like it any more than you men

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Slash and the Conspirators will release a third album since the GNR reunion before there’s a new Guns N’ Roses full-length Frankenstein album. 

And between those three albums there would be about an album of decent material. I miss Snakepit

Edited by Shacklermyrye

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Slash and the Conspirators will release a third album since the GNR reunion before there’s a new Guns N’ Roses full-length Frankenstein album. 

i wonder what will hapend if slash make a snakepit or conspirators song ft axl

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

As for the above debate, this is always a question of how you want to look at things, and I suppose both approaches are right (I consider myself being somewhere between, plus I don’t like b&w extremes anyway). 

On the one hand you can say the band is actively touring, they occasionally release some older material and recently (for Guns, a year ago is recently) released two new songs, plus there is quite a promising outlook to the future regarding new material. Fences have been mended. 

On the other hand you can say they’ve been playing the same stuff for over 5 years (a span of their almost entire career in the heydays), with just minor changes (a new cover or a deep cut), aka the exact opposite of what Axl stood for in the original era; Axl’s voice form has been going downhill since 2017, and this year (another year of the never-ending NITL tour) he sometimes even couldn’t sing, plus he gave his best to a different band; the box set releases probably aren’t exactly their own idea and maybe it wouldn’t have happened at all if it was solely up to Axl; the two "new" songs are 20-year old demos that don’t really give any testimony about the band’s current status in terms of functioning as a living organism, plus Axl didn’t have to lift a finger for the recording process, with his vocal tracks being from 1999/2000; and it looks like this kind of patchwork might be what the entire "new album" will consist of; and last but not least, the genius of their PR led by "yes, no, maybe" people who keep dangling some mythical new stuff in front of us, never to address it ever again when it somehow doesn’t work out, not even with the evergreen "plans changed". Also no proper videos for the singles, no old videos (until the upcoming box set), no communication as usual, nothing. It was really promising in 2016/17, but they took a wrong turn around 2018, and it shows – has ever since. Don’t wanna call it a cash-grab, but what else is it? I know Axl has always had problems with pacing, but come on, this is ridiculous. How do other bands do it? 

So it’s hard. But even though the "negative" paragraph is way longer, I’m still not throwing in the towel. Both views are legitimate, both views are understandable, but like I say, it’s hard. 

It's a cash grab. There should be no shame in labelling it that. That's exactly what it is. The Smashing Pumpkins are an example of how a band should reunite. There's no excitement here. Soul Monster is saying this isn't the worst time because 2 singles came 14 months ago. Maybe. But in 2003, there was excitement because there was a genuine menace to Axl and purpose. plus he was 40. In 2013-15, We were 'only' 5 years off chi dem, duff rejoined, there were rumours that the album was coming (as always) then we get the reunion. We're coming up to 7 years since the reunion was confirmed. Even if they release the album now, the excitement phase has passed, died, been reincarnated, died again and rotted. Sure, in hindsight there's been more fallow periods, but there was still at sense of excitement. There's nothing now. We all know that if/when this album drops it'll disappear from radio and press within a week. there'll be no videos. no tv appearances, no adverts. Maybe 2-3 of the songs get thrown randomly into the setlist, and performed poorly. I'd love to hear them, as we all would. But it won't fulfil. not now. Too little too late, sadly.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

It's a cash grab. There should be no shame in labelling it that. That's exactly what it is. The Smashing Pumpkins are an example of how a band should reunite. There's no excitement here. Soul Monster is saying this isn't the worst time because 2 singles came 14 months ago. Maybe. But in 2003, there was excitement because there was a genuine menace to Axl and purpose. plus he was 40. In 2013-15, We were 'only' 5 years off chi dem, duff rejoined, there were rumours that the album was coming (as always) then we get the reunion. We're coming up to 7 years since the reunion was confirmed. Even if they release the album now, the excitement phase has passed, died, been reincarnated, died again and rotted. Sure, in hindsight there's been more fallow periods, but there was still at sense of excitement. There's nothing now. We all know that if/when this album drops it'll disappear from radio and press within a week. there'll be no videos. no tv appearances, no adverts. Maybe 2-3 of the songs get thrown randomly into the setlist, and performed poorly. I'd love to hear them, as we all would. But it won't fulfil. not now. Too little too late, sadly.

Weren't you all convinced that the album is imminent just a few days ago? But 2003 was more exciting?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

See, your problem is that you actually thought the "reunion" would be a great thing. There's your problem. 

I think we're probably closer to CDII than we've ever been, at the very least. Granted that still can mean nothing in GNR land.

The reunion for me was personally disappointing, at least post 2017, because it turned into a massive cash grab tour. The fact it's been 6 years since the reunion without a new album is really frustrating. There's been so many points they could've done it and it would've made sense. 2018 would've worked. But they promoted AFD L&L and nothing else. 2019 would've worked, they did nothing most of the year. 2020 would've been great! A lot of bands released new music around then because people wanted the entertainment and the musicians had more time. 2021 would've made sense after releasing 2 singles, then could've promoted it for the next 2-3 years. 2022, UYI nostalgia, no new music again. Fuck.

How many loop arounds of continents are they going to tour without a new set of music? 2 singles is very nice and I'm grateful we got that at least but this band needs an album out. If a 2023 tour happens, it's either gotta be to promote a new album* or it might just be the conclusion. They've already toured everywhere under the reunion, they've done AFD/UYI type of promotion tours (although UYI rn is a stretch, but whatever). No where else to go.

*And we have a lot of reasons to believe new music is on the way. I know people think the Spotify stuff is a joke, but there's a lot of reasons to believe its metadata the band has submitted to at least check for leaks, but even if you don't care for that, there are the blank numbers in the musical database, Slash himself said new songs are coming and possibly an album, and potentially they are rehearsing Oklahoma right now.

All eyes on 2023. If new music doesn't happen next year then I really don't know when or if it'll ever come out, no where to go from here, unless they are just going to do a farewell tour.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Aren't they up to 4 albums right now? I thought their last album was called 4. Maybe that's another one of Slash's bands.

Aside from VR, I only liked half at most of Slash's 2010 album.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Aren't they up to 4 albums right now? I thought their last album was called 4. Maybe that's another one of Slash's bands.

Aside from VR, I only liked half at most of Slash's 2010 album.

He said the third since the reunion, not the third overall.

Lol to the whole Spotify thing and all the hopes for a new album anytime soon. 

It's confirmed they planned to release single songs first but even that seemingly to difficult for this band.

The rehearsal of this peace of music is the only indicator that we'll get new music in the near future. Hopefully plans don't change again.

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Weren't you all convinced that the album is imminent just a few days ago? But 2003 was more exciting?

Never said that. I said the album was obviously loaded onto spotify. Which it obviously is. You still think there's a GnR only algorithm in existence? If this is exciting to you, then you need to get some excitement in your life. I'd be happy to help. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

See, your problem is that you actually thought the "reunion" would be a great thing. There's your problem. 

Never said that either. But did i think it'd be more exciting than it has been? yeah sure. Who here didnt? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think we're probably closer to CDII than we've ever been, at the very least. Granted that still can mean nothing in GNR land.

The reunion for me was personally disappointing, at least post 2017, because it turned into a massive cash grab tour. The fact it's been 6 years since the reunion without a new album is really frustrating. There's been so many points they could've done it and it would've made sense. 2018 would've worked. But they promoted AFD L&L and nothing else. 2019 would've worked, they did nothing most of the year. 2020 would've been great! A lot of bands released new music around then because people wanted the entertainment and the musicians had more time. 2021 would've made sense after releasing 2 singles, then could've promoted it for the next 2-3 years. 2022, UYI nostalgia, no new music again. Fuck.

How many loop arounds of continents are they going to tour without a new set of music? 2 singles is very nice and I'm grateful we got that at least but this band needs an album out. If a 2023 tour happens, it's either gotta be to promote a new album* or it might just be the conclusion. They've already toured everywhere under the reunion, they've done AFD/UYI type of promotion tours (although UYI rn is a stretch, but whatever). No where else to go.

*And we have a lot of reasons to believe new music is on the way. I know people think the Spotify stuff is a joke, but there's a lot of reasons to believe its metadata the band has submitted to at least check for leaks, but even if you don't care for that, there are the blank numbers in the musical database, Slash himself said new songs are coming and possibly an album, and potentially they are rehearsing Oklahoma right now.

All eyes on 2023. If new music doesn't happen next year then I really don't know when or if it'll ever come out, no where to go from here, unless they are just going to do a farewell tour.

I think out everything that you mentioned, 2021 maybe would have made sense to release an album. That's a maybe since we were still in the pandemic and slowly beginning to recover. Fact is the last 6 years just wasn't an opportune time to release something. 2016-2018, they wanted to make up for loss time. I can't fault them for that. 2019 they needed a break. I can't fault them for that either. 2020, there was the pandemic. Now in 2020, albums were release by AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Bruce, etc. Albums were good to great. Bruce was great and it was probably his best album in years. However, all of those albums fizzled out due to no touring as a result of Covid.  The timing just hasn't been there yet.  I do think that they'll need to release new material next year if they still want to tour. They'll have issue in 2023 and 2024 selling out if they don't. That I wholeheartedly agree with. In my opinion, I just don't think the timing has been there yet.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I think out everything that you mentioned, 2021 maybe would have made sense to release an album. That's a maybe since we were still in the pandemic and slowly beginning to recover. Fact is the last 6 years just wasn't an opportune time to release something. 2016-2018, they wanted to make up for loss time. I can't fault them for that. 2019 they needed a break. I can't fault them for that either. 2020, there was the pandemic. Now in 2020, albums were release by AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Bruce, etc. Albums were good to great. Bruce was great and it was probably his best album in years. However, all of those albums fizzled out due to no touring as a result of Covid.  The timing just hasn't been there yet.  I do think that they'll need to release new material next year if they still want to tour. They'll have issue in 2023 and 2024 selling out if they don't. That I wholeheartedly agree with. In my opinion, I just don't think the timing has been there yet.   

Please take your post to htgth, excuses like this is exactly why I stopped visiting that place :p

• Haha 2