Would GNR add a Van Halen song to the set, once they are back on the road?

21 hours ago, DPR714 said:

Some of the members have played VH, in Velvet Revolver, for the Van Halen ROF induction. They played Aint talkin' Bout Love & Runaround.  They were not well received, I think mostly due to Weiland.  Do you think they would add a song since they have a history of doing this? If so , what song?

:facepalm:

20 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Me too. I'm not a guitarist so I don't understand why it has changed, but that 90's sound was always unmistakably Slash... just perfect, and it's missing now. Is it kit (amps, pedals etc), or his fingers / playing?

I think he's trying to mimic the AFD's tone with less gain now. His new Gibson signature guitars are also missing the Seymour Duncan pickups, but I think he still uses it in his live set.

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Seemingly there's no way we'll hear Slash tapping anything so he never will play solos like Beat It note for note. Slash won't be the problem if the band decides to cover a song. There are weaker spots in GNR right now...guess who?

He could try, but it's not his style, I get it. But he still could get a bit more close to the original source. It just didn't sound good.

5 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

Please no more covers.  New songs or cut the set. I have no interest in hearing any more covers 

When you think about it Guns' discography is literally c. 25% covers... the Aerosmith etc stuff on Lies, Live and Let Die, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Whole Lotta Rosie b-side, Jumping Jack Flash, the entire Spaghetti Incident, Sympathy for the Devil... and now Wichita and Black Hole Sun in the set. Farcical really.

If they released another UYI-esque double album of original material they could literally halve their covers %.

7 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

Please no more covers.  New songs or cut the set. I have no interest in hearing any more covers 

To be fair, I prefer to listen to a new cover than the same old shit.

Since Axl has gone full retard and can't deliver anything new then let them be more new covers.

12 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think he's trying to mimic the AFD's tone with less gain now. His new Gibson signature guitars are also missing the Seymour Duncan pickups, but I think he still uses it in his live set.

He could try, but it's not his style, I get it. But he still could get a bit more close to the original source. It just didn't sound good.

He improvises most of the time when covering songs and most of the time it sounds good. I really don't think his Beat It solo was that bad, it just wasn't half as good as the original :lol:

• Like 1

I LOVE Slash, so what I'm about to say isn't a slight at Slash. It's more praise of EVH, but Slash can NOT play VH, he just can't. That VR performance of Runaround was just plain dreadful (can you even find it on YouTube anymore?) I feel like it's been removed on purpose, because of how terrible it was. They did an ok job on ain't talking bout love. 

So the thought of gnr playing VH is NOT a good idea. EVH was on a different level than Slash, which isn't a knock on Slash cause EVH was on a different level than 99% of the people that ever picked up a guitar. Slash played Crazy train at some Ozzy thing a few years back, and that was terrible as well. He just struggles with the virtuoso style of guitar playing. He can play blues rock and riff rock like nobody's business, but NOT stuff like VH. 

I'd LOVE to hear Axls take on some VH songs though. That does appeal to me. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I LOVE Slash, so what I'm about to say isn't a slight at Slash. It's more praise of EVH, but Slash can NOT play VH, he just can't. That VR performance of Runaround was just plain dreadful (can you even find it on YouTube anymore?) I feel like it's been removed on purpose, because of how terrible it was. They did an ok job on ain't talking bout love. 

So the thought of gnr playing VH is NOT a good idea. EVH was on a different level than Slash, which isn't a knock on Slash cause EVH was on a different level than 99% of the people that ever picked up a guitar. Slash played Crazy train at some Ozzy thing a few years back, and that was terrible as well. He just struggles with the virtuoso style of guitar playing. He can play blues rock and riff rock like nobody's business, but NOT stuff like VH. 

I'd LOVE to hear Axls take on some VH songs though. That does appeal to me. 

I'm with you but I think it even depends on your expectations. I never expected him to play VH note by note and while his Beat It solo is far away from the original and didn't reach it in any way, I think it's still a good Slash solo.

Also Ain't Talking Bout Love was surprisingly well played by VR. No issues with that one at all.

Having said that, GNR brought enough covers songs into their playlist. That means, before they think about doing another cover, they should think about what cover to replace.

Edited by Free Bird

3 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Why some of you think they should or they would??? Are they becoming a funeral band??? hahaha I get the idea pf paying respect to great musicians who passed away, but come on!!! 

Right lol I don't want the only real permanent changes in the setlist to be when someone famous in the music world dies

• Like 1