Fortus interview

We heard you’d already been using them on the new material...

“I did use them on the new EP and this whole last tour, which was great. The production models I had worked perfectly. The pickups were the main thing to dial in, so I’m really excited about them. That’s what makes this guitar unique to anything else out there. It’s completely reliant on the volume knob and treble bleed capacitor.”

Has the upcoming Hard Skool release been officially stated to be an EP? It doesn't say it on the store. 

Fortus is a great fucking player. It sounded like he played a bit of 'Beautiful' in there that both he and Robin used to do - always loved that. 

55 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I get the impression his constant talking up of Bucket/Robin is more a slight against Ron than anything else. 

I always think Fortus comes off like a total prick in interviews. 

There was one he done last year where he was more or less saying it was a massive inconvenience for them when Ron joined right before the tour was to kick off as they'd worked it out with just two guitars. I don't know any of them personally, but as far as fan interaction is concerned with members past or present, no one comes close to Ron Thal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I get the impression his constant talking up of Bucket/Robin is more a slight against Ron than anything else. 

I always think Fortus comes off like a total prick in interviews. 

I wouldn't say it is a slight necessarily - Fortus must be allowed to have his preferences.

And I don't get that he comes off as a prick. I have interviewed him myself, total gentleman.

• Like 1

“Yeah, there’s no way three guitar players would work in this band right now. Three guitars is actually very difficult to do. Buckethead did it really well, I think. It worked with me, him and Robin Finck. You have to leave space for each other to create that big dynamic. Buckethead really understood that because he’s very musical. And I’m a big fan of Robin’s, he’s incredible, too… both of them knew it had to fit together like a puzzle.”

This is totally a dig at Bumblefoot 😅

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

“Yeah, there’s no way three guitar players would work in this band right now. Three guitars is actually very difficult to do. Buckethead did it really well, I think. It worked with me, him and Robin Finck. You have to leave space for each other to create that big dynamic. Buckethead really understood that because he’s very musical. And I’m a big fan of Robin’s, he’s incredible, too… both of them knew it had to fit together like a puzzle.”

This is totally a dig at Bumblefoot 😅

100% dig at Bumble. For whatever reason he keeps firing off these disses even though Bumbles never gonna respond. I honestly can't hear what Richard is saying, the 2009-2014 arrangements were far tighter, each guitar was doing something the other one wasn't... it didn't have the 2002 or 2016 looseness, but neither of those periods had the power 2006-2014 had. Personally I think he's talking shit just to denigrate Bumbles ability. Richard needs to look higher up the ladder if he wants to say 'it was bad because of this' Axl clearly gave the greenlight on Bumble and liked what he heard otherwise Bumble would have been replaced in 2009 and he wouldn't have been on the Chinese album. 

Sounds like sour grapes from nearly 20yrs ago when Ron was thrown into the band. Yes, in 2006 you could say there was a little bit of clashing with the guitar parts and parts where Bumble overplayed... but it's kinda inevitable when you're thrown in to learn on the job. Maybe Richard would have adjusted quicker if he was put in Bumbles position? but he also had a totally different career trajectory.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Probably salty that Ron was in the band for half the time and got multiple lead solos on Chinese Democracy whereas Fortus hasn't played lead on a studio Guns track in nearly 20 years and won't be anytime soon now Slash is back.

Don't worry 4tus has written credits all over CD2

Might be a dig against Ashba instead of BBF.

Edited by Coma16

15 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Don't worry 4tus has written credits all over CD2

Might be a dig against Ashba instead of BBF.

I think it's common knowledge that Richard isn't a Bumble fan, don't think he's ever mentioned DJ in any comment about 3 gtrs not working outside Bucket,Robin and Richard.

32 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Probably salty that Ron was in the band for half the time and got multiple lead solos on Chinese Democracy whereas Fortus hasn't played lead on a studio Guns track in nearly 20 years and won't be anytime soon now Slash is back.

Again the passive aggressive comments are misdirected if that's the reasoning. Axl asked Bumble to play those solos if he wanted Richards ideas then that would have happened. Verdict is out on Richards creativity. All I know for sure is that he wrote the chorus riff in Better... maybe he shows up more on the next "release"? Don't get me wrong I like Richard and when I met him he seemed nice; but these comments are so low class! I would have more respect for him if he just put Bumble on blast and said "Bumblefoot never suited guns, I didn't like playing with him and I hated how the band sounded during his tenure... nothing personal against him really".

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

Just now, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Fartus has not released one good song on his life, whereas bumblefoot as some pretty decent albums. Fartus would still be playing for Nena if it wasn't for Axl who for some reason thinks that guy is a necessity

Axl loves how he plays. I really like his rhythm guitar playing and about 50% of his lead playing. Shitty comments aside I'm happy he's still in the band, but I can't help think his head is expanding with all the success of GNR. Train rolls on with or without any member outside Axl, Slash and Duff. I add Duff because he's probably the mediator still.

• Haha 1