Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It had helped if more people took it :lol: Yes, I am looking at you, USA.

Here in Norway we are definitely over the worst, because although we have lost of cases, very few get very sick. Because people are for most part vaccinated.

Yeah, the future looks bright for us scandinavians. I'm longing for the day the norwegian government stops considering us swedes as "plague rats", I want to go back and enjoy the fjords!

23 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Yeah, the future looks bright for us scandinavians. I'm longing for the day the norwegian government stops considering us swedes as "plague rats", I want to go back and enjoy the fjords!

Stay the fuck away from our fjords you disease-ridden vermin :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 2

Today Garland ISD put a mask mandate in effect for all their schools. So glad about this.

Also the news was talking about how many college students are getting covid. Shouldn't they have gotten their vaccine in the summer? Damn it.  We should do everything we can to keep ourselves safe and the kids under 12 who can't get a vaccine yet.

How stupid can they be?

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It had helped if more people took it :lol: Yes, I am looking at you, USA.

Here in Norway we are definitely over the worst, because although we have lost of cases, very few get very sick. Because people are for most part vaccinated.

Yeah, I hear you and I know what you're talking about.  So sick of morons in the US talking about religious beliefs and other stupid reasons for not getting vaccinated. Some of these parents are also infecting their kids. I think this should be considered child neglect too.

And still bitching about wearing a mask. If the virus would just infect these jerks I wouldn't give a shit, but unfortunately, it's infecting the innocent kids and people who are already vaccinated. Selfish sons of bitches.

And if I hear one more jerk who's in the hospital sick with covid saying I will get the vaccine, I will punch a wall.

Things are so strange here in Michigan right now. 

When Covid first spread in early 2020, everything shut down very quickly. It seemed like we turned around twice in March 2020 and every business was closed outside of essential services. And mandatory mask mandates were in place if you did have to go to one of those essential places. 

The big thing for me was that I have two friends who are nurses and both of them were telling me first hand about the horrors of the situation on a daily basis. So what my front line friends were telling me was lining up with what the news was reporting. 

Things opened up bit by bit near the end of the summer and mask mandates were lifted. Vaccine roll out went pretty fast everything seemed on track. Both of my nurse friends went on about things calming down for them too. 

Here now foday, the news keeps reporting that we're all gonna die from the Delta variant. Print and local news stations are reporting that things are as bad or worse than when the first outbreak happened. 

Yet, there are no shutdowns or mask mandates in place. On top of that neither of my friends who are nurses are seeing anything anywhere near what they saw in earlier 2020.

I'm NOT saying we should go back to masks and/or lock downs. I'm also NOT saying the variant isn't real. I'm merely pointing out what I started with: it's a very strange time in Michigan right now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Things are so strange here in Michigan right now. 

When Covid first spread in early 2020, everything shut down very quickly. It seemed like we turned around twice in March 2020 and every business was closed outside of essential services. And mandatory mask mandates were in place if you did have to go to one of those essential places. 

The big thing for me was that I have two friends who are nurses and both of them were telling me first hand about the horrors of the situation on a daily basis. So what my front line friends were telling me was lining up with what the news was reporting. 

Things opened up bit by bit near the end of the summer and mask mandates were lifted. Vaccine roll out went pretty fast everything seemed on track. Both of my nurse friends went on about things calming down for them too. 

Here now foday, the news keeps reporting that we're all gonna die from the Delta variant. Print and local news stations are reporting that things are as bad or worse than when the first outbreak happened. 

Yet, there are no shutdowns or mask mandates in place. On top of that neither of my friends who are nurses are seeing anything anywhere near what they saw in earlier 2020.

I'm NOT saying we should go back to masks and/or lock downs. I'm also NOT saying the variant isn't real. I'm merely pointing out what I started with: it's a very strange time in Michigan right now. 

Your state is lucky! Well in Alaska we just hit a record of the most hospitalizations due to Covid during this WHOLE pandemic. Like I keep saying it will be much much worse for us this winter since we are hitting peaks that we hit in the dead of winter last year. It is only 9/1. We are on a horrible trajectory, our healthcare system is literally about to collapse up here and our governor is doing SHIT because he doesn't want to anger his Trumper base. He can go fuck himself..

• Like 2

Dr. Fauci said there's a new variant now. didn't read much about it. I'm tired of hearing bad news when it comes to covid.

Many doctors agree now covid isn't going away, so we need to be vaccinated and learn to be safe and live with it.

Another booster is most likely to happen too. I'm not surprised by this since we do get a flu shot every year and kids get different vaccinations too. My mom gets a pneumonia shot every two years so it'll be part of our lives.

Numbers among kids is still up in Texas and Florida and governments are threaten schools if they make masks mandates without parents say they will pull funding. 

I just don't understand what the hell is going on with these politicians?

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Dr. Fauci said there's a new variant now. didn't read much about it. I'm tired of hearing bad news when it comes to covid.

Many doctors agree now covid isn't going away, so we need to be vaccinated and learn to be safe and live with it.

Another booster is most likely to happen too. I'm not surprised by this since we do get a flu shot every year and kids get different vaccinations too. My mom gets a pneumonia shot every two years so it'll be part of our lives.

Numbers among kids is still up in Texas and Florida and governments are threaten schools if they make masks mandates without parents say they will pull funding. 

I just don't understand what the hell is going on with these politicians?

There's plenty of variants. Though, if you look at the data, delta has the Most prevalence, even in countries with "newer" variants, basically because it's the Most contagious variant. Every virus mutates endlessly.

Do you follow "chise" on Twitter? There's loads of sensible scientists and other medical experts using twitter that sees and explains everything in a rational manner. I can give you some links that I can guarantee Will calm your nerves about all this, if you're up for it?

• Like 3

Went to a few stores today and thankfully everyone was wearing a mask.

yeah, I know many variants. Many doctors now are agreeing that the covid will be around for along time to come and it's up to each of us to try to stay safe. I'm not surprised since so many government officials are fucking up everything yet again.

Texas numbers are on the rise. It seems all they give a shit about here is that the Dallas Cowboy quaterback is okay to play meanwhille he won't get vaccinated. Let's see how that goes when he infects other team members and other teams. Such bullshit.

I know we have to try to enjoy ourselves, but so damn sick of everything revolving around this damn football team.

My family and I got the moderna vaccine so we have to wait longer for approval of a booster. 

It seems to me that these companies are dragging their feet now when nows not the time to slack off.

They are taking their damn time with a vaccine for under 12 while schools have already started in the south and now after Labor Day every school in America will be starting. I know living in Brooklyn and going to school there and in Queens there's no a/c and opening a window won't cut it in the winter, so how will these kids do in the classrooms?

After last week's storms that damaged so many neighborhoods who knows how NYC is going to cope with thousands of kids using the subways to go to school along with the usual workers.

What a mess!

49 minutes ago, downzy said:

I figure most people will get this isn’t real, but just in case:

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-cnn-fabricatedarticlevaccine-idUSL1N2PY1OJ

This article might be fake, but you posted memes first.

BUT, when obesity is a primary driver, let's not pretend the meme isn't relevant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Don't be obese.  It's that simple.  I'd think the people who aren't obese, should have the option of living a normal life.  You know, like it was prior to Feb/Mar 2020. 

• Like 1

Aren't fat people at much higher risk from being killed from COVID than healthy folks? I get the above article is a joke, but it does have a point.

I have no problem with vaccines, I'll do what I please with my own body, but I think people need to think of additional defense mechanisms to being safe from this virus, and part of that is getting in good physical shape.

I'm doing that. Dropped some weight already, working out more, and cut soda pop. Another reason I'm doing it is I'm talking to a woman who is all about a healthy lifestyle. Nothing like a nice ass and some pussy as a primary motivator, and being safe from COVID. Hahaha jk she's a blessing in so many other ways.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

BUT, when obesity is a primary driver, let's not pretend the meme isn't relevant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Don't be obese.  It's that simple.  I'd think the people who aren't obese, should have the option of living a normal life.  You know, like it was prior to Feb/Mar 2020. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid19-protection-idUSL1N2PG1GH

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Thank you for posting that?  I don't understand the point, unfortunately.  

I have never said that not being obese (fit), would prevent you from contracting COVID-19.  Nor did I say that you shouldn't take the vaccine.  

But I am saying that

"CDC study finds about 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were overweight or obese"

78%!  That is a very high percentage.  If 78% of people hospitalized for COVID-19 enjoyed long walks on the beach, chocolate covered fruit, and tonic water - I'd think could laser focus efforts on those people, and not sabotage everyone else.

• Like 2

I think it could be productive if the media could just take 10% of their COVID fearmongering energy and direct it towards the fact that obesity is the #1 correlate for COVID hospitalization.

Instead, they post articles like this:

Spoiler

image0.png

The above is not news. It does not provide info of any value. It tugs at the heartstrings to manipulate readers' emotions and get clicks. There is literally no possible other intention behind sharing the fact that two people died from COVID.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

I don’t take issue with the argument that weight isn’t a factor. Where I have a problem is the contention or insinuation complicit in the “meme” you posted is that vaccines aren’t effective if you’re obese.  Vaccines have been proven effective for those challenged by weight. The other issue is the statistics around weight are pre Delta variant. It’s still unknown how much weight is a factor with the delta variant. 

5 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

Oh, I see what you are doing.  It is a very weak argument. 

You suggested that as long as people aren't fat then Covid-19 isn't a problem ("Don't be obese. It's that simple") and I posted a link to an article that points out that being slim isn't a guarantee against Covid-19. 

No one is saying obesity isn't a co-morbidity, but you were way simplifying it.