2023 WORLD TOUR

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Grunge was a fashion term, not a music genre, and doesn’t have much to do with the bands you mentioned.

Its basically a catch-all term for the music of the (mostly) Seattle bands of that era even though most of them sounded different from each other.  I don't think Guns N' Roses would have become irrelevant or anything but to a lot of the mainstream audience in the US they were starting to seem uncool. 

The video for Estranged was seen as opulent and far from their roots. Its appreciated now but it was definitely looked at differently in that era. Estranged also came out as a single at a weird time where it overlapped TSI and it didn't help that they didn't tour off any of those songs in 1994.

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Chart success indicates the band didn't think it was shitty? Not sure I follow that one! You'd have to have a word with Axl, Slash and Duff about that. Let them know it wasn't shitty, and their opinion of their own product was wrong as it was in the charts. 

Not to mention of course that sales figures have never, ever, been an indication of whether something is good or not of course. 

I doubt Axl, Slash and Duff are going to agree with you that a release containing songs of theirs is “shitty”.

38 minutes ago, mystery said:

Its basically a catch-all term for the music of the (mostly) Seattle bands of that era even though most of them sounded different from each other.  I don't think Guns N' Roses would have become irrelevant or anything but to a lot of the mainstream audience in the US they were starting to seem uncool. 

A lot of alt-bands from the 90s were labelled grunge, no matter where they came from. Bush from England, and Silverchair from Australia, had to explain in every interview that they were rock bands and not grunge bands.
GnR had definitely become somewhat of a joke to some people by 1992 but were still very popular. I think that if they had kept it together and released a really good record in 1994 or 1995, they could have been as huge as Aerosmith was in the mid 90s. In a way they still were even though they weren’t touring or releasing music. When Duff was promoting Neurotic Outsiders and Slash was out with Snakepit, most interviews they did ended up being about GnR.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I doubt Axl, Slash and Duff are going to agree with you that a release containing songs of theirs is “shitty”.

There were different reasons for them filing lawsuits but the main ones were Axl thinking it would take attention from Chinese Democracy, and the band not being consulted at all about the release.

The track listing for a one disc album is pretty decent until the end and is a pretty good gateway into the rest of their catalog. I feel like people underestimate just how many songs UYI and II have for people that only know the singles.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Aye, 4tus was with them at that time too, so it was some shift he was putting in night after night!

No, his tenure was over by then. It was Damon Johnson. Richard came out and did a song with them on some shows. 

Edited by reayj2003

1 hour ago, Carburetta said:

Doubt it all you like, the poor tracklisting and general quality of the release was one of the reasons they launched a legal suit to try and block it's release. They even took out a last minute restraining order. 

You can argue this point all you like- it's simply a fact that they did. 

To save you the effort, here's the legal statement they released, citing it's poor quality. 

"The track selection is fundamentally flawed, does not reflect the band's best work and is clearly not the ultimate package that would be selected by the band or their fan base if they were given the opportunity, They have flooded the offices of Geffen Records' senior executives with thousands of emails over the last few weeks expressing their dissent."

I think, given they spent considerable money on the court case, then, yeah they might not have been too happy with it's quality at all......no matter how you'd like to rewrite the history! 

Edited by allwaystired

I always wondered if it was the inclusion of Sympathy For The Devil that set Slash off to not liking it. He hates it. I'm sure he described it somewhere as the sound of a band dying. Which is also how Axl described Live Era.

2 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I always wondered if it was the inclusion of Sympathy For The Devil that set Slash off to not liking it. He hates it. I'm sure he described it somewhere as the sound of a band dying. Which is also how Axl described Live Era.

He said in his book something like that yeah- that he never wanted to hear it ever again. What the hell is it doing on there really anyway? I don't hate it like Slash did.....but to have it on there?! Come on! 

What is interesting about how shitty they all thought Greatest Hits was is that it came at a time they weren't speaking or agreeing on anything.....that was the one thing they could all agree on! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

Just now, allwaystired said:

He said in his book something like that yeah- that he never wanted to hear it ever again. 

What is interesting about how shitty they all thought Greatest Hits was is that it came at a time they weren't speaking or agreeing on anything.....that was the one thing they could all agree on! 

Well there was at least one other thing they probably agreed on . When CD songs started leaking Slash stated publicly it was a shitty thing for someone to do. Think he was trying to build small bridges even then 

Just now, Shacklermyrye said:

Well there was at least one other thing they probably agreed on . When CD songs started leaking Slash stated publicly it was a shitty thing for someone to do. Think he was trying to build small bridges even then 

I didn't know that actually. Has he ever mentioned the locker leaks? 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I didn't know that actually. Has he ever mentioned the locker leaks? 

No no way before that. I believe it was connected to the Skwerl leaks.

Bizarrely I have just found it in an interview he did with Russell Brand. I only found it to listen to because Karice brought it up in another thread. Dont think I can post it here as it's uploaded to an unofficial channel.

Edited by Shacklermyrye

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Grunge was a fashion term, not a music genre, and doesn’t have much to do with the bands you mentioned.

Okay, I never said that grunge is a style, so you misunderstood what I said, but could you tell me why bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Kiss and thousands of others disappeared from the map in those days?

Edited by TheSlashrose

13 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Okay, I never said that grunge is a style, so you misunderstood what I said, but could you tell me why bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen, Kiss and thousands of others disappeared from the map in those days?

Not all those bands disappeared. Kiss and Van Halen were still playing arenas in the 90s. But yeah, the musical climate changed in the early 90s and those guys with the spandex pants disappeared for the most part. I just don’t agree with the term ‘grunge’.

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Doubt it all you like, the poor tracklisting and general quality of the release was one of the reasons they launched a legal suit to try and block it's release. They even took out a last minute restraining order. 

You can argue this point all you like- it's simply a fact that they did. 

To save you the effort, here's the legal statement they released, citing it's poor quality. 

"The track selection is fundamentally flawed, does not reflect the band's best work and is clearly not the ultimate package that would be selected by the band or their fan base if they were given the opportunity, They have flooded the offices of Geffen Records' senior executives with thousands of emails over the last few weeks expressing their dissent."

I think, given they spent considerable money on the court case, then, yeah they might not have been too happy with it's quality at all......no matter how you'd like to rewrite the history! 

Again, I don’t think the word “shitty” was used by anybody at the time, or since, except maybe by you. 

15 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Again, I don’t think the word “shitty” was used by anybody at the time, or since, except maybe by you. 

Well, no, obviously the word 'shitty' isn't going to be in a legal document and they chose the term "fundamentally flawed".....but I think it's pretty clear to anyone not absolutely determined to have some weird argument that the band very much didn't like the album and were happy to spend a considerable amount of their time and money actively trying to stop it getting released.

Feel free to carry on thinking they love it though if you'd prefer! 

And if everyone could just call the Greatest Hits "fundamentally flawed", rather than "bad", "not very good" or something like (heaven forbid) "shitty",  then perhaps we can bring this terminally pedantic discourse to an end. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

It was commercially successful obviously, but most fans online (and the band themselves) thought it was a bad representation of the band. Nobody is saying the songs themselves are shitty. The biggest complaint was about the amount of covers, which is definitely a valid complaint!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carburetta said:

I think you're getting tied up in the wording of a poster... rather than the factual evidence that the band Axl, Slash and Duff all agreed that they did not want the release of the greatest hits. This being the first time in many, many years that the three had jointly agreed on anything.

I have read interview(s) with Slash where he threw shade at the greatest hits, probably didn't call it shit... but he also didn't say anything to suggest he thought he was any better than that assessment. He went on to say Live era was much more representative of GNR.

Of course, years later and they have earned a lot of money from the greatest hits record, the opinion might have softened. I believe they'll release a more definitive best of GNR in time, honestly shocked they haven't done so already! I guess the