2023 WORLD TOUR

30 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

£18.50 in '91 = £50.82p in today's money

£21 in '92 and '93  = £55.60 today

Wow. Those prices, adjusted for inflation, speak volumes..... especially when you know that back in 91-93 they were making vast amounts of money, with tickets a fraction of the price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Do you have to be poor to say big  concerts have become ludicrously expensive? 

I couldn't care less about 'market forces' or that 'all big acts charge the same', concerts have got to stupid prices. I don't think you need to be rich or poor to point that out!  

Sure, people seem to be paying these prices, but fucking hell have gig demographics changed in recent years.....and not for the better in my humble opinion. 

Yeah, it's geared towards the deeper pocketed fan or the fan that HAS to go. When I started going to shows on average it was say 35 for a mid tier band and 60 for a mega band Eagles/fleetwood mac/Metallica etc. Now, it's similar prices for the mid tier but the mega bands start at about 100 and just keep going up from there. Now, the 100 you spend will get you in, but you're likely more than half way down the venue, even if you're at the front row, due to the unreasonably large golden circle, which usually costs about 200+

It's unfortunate we all saw this happening and continued to go, but what can you do now? I can't see these entities deciding to make less money, so it's either strap in or stay at home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. It seems the older and richer they get, the less they think of the average man. Which is quite sad actually. Artists on their retirement tours, close to 80 charging more than ever, really sucks to high hell. Actually more people should say fuck them. But since most people don't and there is nothing to do to change it, you either say fuck them and stay at home sulking and missing out or you cough up the money, if you can. I'm not good at missing out. So I see myself going to more and more concerts, as for me it's the finishing line. I'm not really interested in any of the young artists.

That was basically what Bruce Springsteen said when he decided to stop charging reasonable prices "I'm old, I've charged fair for years, I told my manager to see what the other bands are doing, and do that" IF I had any respect for Bruce, it was gone after reading that. The podcast/book with Obama was the real nail in the coffin, piece of shit🤣

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Wow. Those prices, adjusted for inflation, speak volumes..... especially when you know that back in 91-93 they were making vast amounts of money, with tickets a fraction of the price. 

I just like that they had to tour in 1993 because they lost money in 1991-92 on all the after parties and orgies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Whatever. Not everyone is as poor as you.

Does not matter the price. If people have seen them already and they are offering nothing new then alot of people wont be buying tickets. Why waste time watching a even worse vocal/band performance of the same songs/setlist either?

They are not the stones with a massive fan base and huge catalogue of music (supposedly new lp 2023 too) to pick from or Beyonce with a big catalogue who actually tours her new music.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That was basically what Bruce Springsteen said when he decided to stop charging reasonable prices "I'm old, I've charged fair for years, I told my manager to see what the other bands are doing, and do that" IF I had any respect for Bruce, it was gone after reading that. The podcast/book with Obama was the real nail in the coffin, piece of shit🤣

The guy sold his catalog for a bunch of money and is in his 70's. The only reason he'd have to be like everyone else is to take care of the rest of his crew but it goes against the working class image he portrays. The fact is his audience is boomers/Gen-Xers who are older and have the disposable income where this mostly doesn't effect them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vloors said:

Does not matter the price. If people have seen them already and they are offering nothing new then alot of people wont be buying tickets. Why waste time watching a even worse vocal/band performance of the same songs/setlist either?

They are not the stones with a massive fan base and catalogue of music (supposedly new lp 2023 too) to pick from or Beyonce who actually tours her new music.

Or maybe people saw them already, liked it, are pretty much convinced that they will not have another chance for quite a while, after they played Europe twice and just will go again. Either scenario is possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

The fact is his audience is boomers/Gen-Xers who are older and have the disposable income where this mostly doesn't effect them.

Yeah. That's the "problem" with artists like Springsteen. They have their built in audience that won't go to the concert of every Tom, Dick and Harry that visits their town, because they're old. They go to a concert once or twice a year (most likely see the one artist in question) and won't mind paying more that one or two times. Also since they are older, they do have the disposable income to spend on 1 or 2 concerts a year.

4 hours ago, mystery said:

I'm glad you left out Duff because as cool as he is he could be replaced with any number of musicians as the draw has always been Axl and Slash. His importance has been overstated since he came back as if the classic lineup was a Big 3 of Axl/Slash/Duff when its really Axl/Slash/Izzy with Axl and Slash being by far the most iconic to the public.

Izzy was more important originally but Duff kept himself more relevant over time, with VR, writing books, constantly playing with other musicians, etc.

But of course the Axl/Slash reunion is what most people cared about.

• Like 3

I saw the band 3 times in 2021 and they were just amazing. Metlife, Chicago and Florida (night 1). Florida stood out because of the intimate size of the venue but I was beaming hearing casual fans around me marvel at how Axl's "still got it". And he did/does. He was magical that night. I was also one of those unfortunate suckers standing at the stage at Welcome to Rockville before the rain and lightning came.

What surprises me about 2023 is that their first port of call is to head back to London where their shows were all but disastrous. Hyde Park attracted circa 100,000 fans over 2 nights for Liam Gallagher. I'd be staggered if they got a quarter of that. That said, when the Summer rolls around and the weather is good people might head along. Glastonbury however is the mecca of UK headline acts and is televised live. Unless Axl has musters the 1992 version of himself they'll never sell a ticket in England again. When you're there singing along it's so great. On TV, less so.

When MetLife 2021 had 40,000 fans I was staggered but then again that was the first big gig in NY/NJ post Covid-19. They haven't been back since but I just cannot gauge what sort of audience they'd draw now. Maybe MSG for 10,000? Can't see another stadium tour.

2 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I saw the band 3 times in 2021 and they were just amazing. Metlife, Chicago and Florida (night 1). Florida stood out because of the intimate size of the venue but I was beaming hearing casual fans around me marvel at how Axl's "still got it". And he did/does. He was magical that night. I was also one of those unfortunate suckers standing at the stage at Welcome to Rockville before the rain and lightning came.

What surprises me about 2023 is that their first port of call is to head back to London where their shows were all but disastrous. Hyde Park attracted circa 100,000 fans over 2 nights for Liam Gallagher. I'd be staggered if they got a quarter of that. That said, when the Summer rolls around and the weather is good people might head along. Glastonbury however is the mecca of UK headline acts and is televised live. Unless Axl has musters the 1992 version of himself they'll never sell a ticket in England again. When you're there singing along it's so great. On TV, less so.

When MetLife 2021 had 40,000 fans I was staggered but then again that was the first big gig in NY/NJ post Covid-19. They haven't been back since but I just cannot gauge what sort of audience they'd draw now. Maybe MSG for 10,000? Can't see another stadium tour.

I think you’re getting mixed up. Liam Gallagher did Knebworth. That’s not in london. 

• Like 2

If they finally come in Greece they're not gonna play Rockwave festival, they were never rumoured to play there but in O.A.K.A. stadium where they played in 1993 for the first time (Alice Cooper, Scorpions and Maiden played there last summer). Rumors are getting stronger, everyone talks about it and we're all just waiting. Unfortunatelly we don't know which promoter talks with their crew so we don't know very much. It's the first time since the reunion that there are rumors for them coming here so we all hope that it's true.

16 hours ago, vloors said:

They are not the stones with a massive fan base and catalogue of music (supposedly new lp 2023 too) to pick from or Beyonce who actually tours her new music.

They are essentially the stones without a huge back catalogue. They have a huge fanbase... and people have been saying since 2018 "they aren't changing the set, they don't sound good, everybody's already seen them, this tour is going to bomb"... yet, each time they come out it's a success and promoters request that they come back. I don't understand it either, but you're definitely underestimating GNRs crowds tolerance for the same old, same old! and the love people have for SCOM/November Rain/Jungle. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They are essentially the stones without a huge back catalogue. They have a huge fanbase... and people have been saying since 2018 "they aren't changing the set, they don't sound good, everybody's already seen them, this tour is going to bomb"... yet, each time they come out it's a success and promoters request that they come back. I don't understand it either, but you're definitely underestimating GNRs crowds tolerance for the same old, same old! and the love people have for SCOM/November Rain/Jungle. 

Sentimentality is a helluva drug.

• ABSUЯD 1

When I saw them in Ireland in the summer almost everybody there was a sweet child o mine/paradise city casual who didn't know or give a fuck about 90% of the songs in the set. 

People are severely underestimating how many people are willing to drop 100 euro on a ticket for a band they wouldn't even listen to unless their hit came on the radio.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

When I saw them in Ireland in the summer almost everybody there was a sweet child o mine/paradise city casual who didn't know or give a fuck about 90% of the songs in the set. 

People are severely underestimating how many people are willing to drop 100 euro on a ticket for a band they wouldn't even listen to unless their hit came on the radio.

Agree fully.....but they can't be high on anyone's list of 'acts to see in 2023' when money is tight? 

Considering prices and how many acts are touring, you'd have thought every casual wanting to see GNR has done by now and are spending their cash ticking whatever box is next for them? 

Who knows, perhaps that is actually the case, and GNR can't get booked to do the gigs they want to do anymore? Speculation of course....but the lack of any dates being announced could certainly suggest that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Sentimentality is a helluva drug.

They're a legendary band where the iconic members are still alive and touring. It's similar to seeing the Rolling Stones with Jagger/Richards or Led Zeppelin with Page and Plant.

It also helps that the actual heyday of the band with Axl and Slash as part of the band was basically 6 years and took 23 years to happen again.

There's still people seeing them for the first time or willing to see them again because the band is closer to the end than the beginning and they play some of the biggest songs of all-time.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1