The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Cool that they're releasing Ritz 91 since it's not only a great show but has a very unusual setlist with Mr Brownstone not being the second song, PC being early in the set and Jungle being the closer.

BTW seeing how he sings fast-paced tunes like Shadow & Reckless Life pretty decently nowadays imo (angry Mickey I call it) I think Axl could do a decent job if they played Perfect Crime now. The angry Mickey sounds better than the normal Mickey.

A modern classic :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Cool that they're releasing Ritz 91 since it's not only a great show but has a very unusual setlist with Mr Brownstone not being the second song, PC being early in the set and Jungle being the closer.

BTW seeing how he sings fast-paced tunes like Shadow & Reckless Life pretty decently nowadays imo (angry Mickey I call it) I think Axl could do a decent job if they played Perfect Crime now. The angry Mickey sounds better than the normal Mickey.

01b0f9b59a1f520e838c280ad55e9bd6--artpop

7 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

You’ll see another two albums from the Chili Peppers before you’ll ever see one from GNR. The thread title is not accurate as we aren’t “waiting” for an album which has been confirmed to not even exist. We are waiting on a new track, period.

You'll see another two albums of Elvis Presley and there still won't be a GNR record in sight.

12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Releasing HS and Absurd and then nothing else was a bold choice

To be fair if they're following the CD formula and Absurd/Hard was the first single then the album will follow in 2030 alá omg in 99 and CD in 2008. 

The sad thing is I typed that and thought that actually seemed overly optimistic. 

After Absurd, I really felt an album was coming. I'm old school though. Albums used to have a single or two come before. 

Not sure why they felt OMG, CD, and Absurd were good singles. (I'll give them a pass on OMG, it's a decent song and was for the film)

By the time we do get an album, I bet they have tinkered with Hard Skool and Absurd more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

After Absurd, I really felt an album was coming. I'm old school though. Albums used to have a single or two come before. 

Not sure why they felt OMG, CD, and Absurd were good singles. (I'll give them a pass on OMG, it's a decent song and was for the film)

By the time we do get an album, I bet they have tinkered with Hard Skool and Absurd more. 

this is kind of off topic and meandering, but I don't think Chinese Democracy really had a good single. I like all 14 tunes plus OMG, Absurd and HS, but it's a heavy album, not really as fun as previous Guns albums, at least not in the same way.

I guess it really should have been a double but something Blackstar said one time ago about how the style of Chinese and Contraband isn't that different makes me wonder how it would have been if Slither and Fall To Pieces were a part of Chinese only with Axl's style of lyrics and vocals and same production and mix.

more straight forward singles with catchy choruses and hooks, or even just with Fall To Pieces and a Slither-like tune with a fat Slash riff. That could have been the next Gn'R album released in like 2000 with Slash and Duff for the most part, only without songs like Better, Shackler's, Scraped, If The World and Riad but with There Was A Time, Chinese, Prostitute, This I Love, Fall To Pieces, Oh My God, Hard Skool, Catcher, etc and with Slash's 1996 jam ideas.

it's like Axl said: they could have totally made another Guns album without Izzy. It's a shame Slash and Duff didn't want to be in a band with Paul and Fortus wasn't considered back then either.

would have been interesting if the lineup was: Josh Freese, Slash, Duff, Axl, Dizzy Reed, a synth guy or girl, a rhythm guitar player that everyone agreed on and liked like Fortus, but Paul just helping with writing with Axl. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I think a lot of us felt this way, if only because it seemed like whatever insurmountable road block was preventing Axl from putting out more music post CD had finally been lifted. Whoops.

The current situation does prove 1 thing: The label(s) have *never* been the issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I really don't think he cares much about putting singles out at all. If he did there would at least be video's and more promotion.

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I feel Better would have been a great lead single for Chinese.

the intro, the key change, the chorus... it all works for me but I don't know if it's as effective as Slither for example. After years of no album I think the comeback single needed to have been centered around a catchy riff which Chinese had but it doesn't have like a big chorus. Does have a WTTJ- style opening with Axl's menacing intro voice and the chopped up riff build up so I guess I can see why they chose that as the first single, but Slither kinda just hits you in the face with the riff, the chorus, and the cry baby Slash solo. Personally I prefer Chinese, but I'm not surprised it didn't work commercially as the lead single and Slither took off.

edit: also I feel like Axl's singing in Chinese was maybe too low for some Gn'R fans to really grab them. Just a guess.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I feel Better would have been a great lead single for Chinese.

Yeah, had the release had been handled correctly (dare I say, professionally?) with Better as the first single it would have been much better received. Even more so had it been released in late 2006.

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 2

if it's true that Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 Chinese tracks or something if he agreed to make a public apology (which I think was an absurd condition) then maybe Axl was aware that even just a little Slash would make the album something else, more acceptable to od school Guns fans and/or improve it. I think it was in 2001, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

if it's true that Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 Chinese tracks or something if he agreed to make a public apology (which I think was an absurd condition) then maybe Axl was aware that even just a little Slash would make the album something else, more acceptable to od school Guns fans and/or improve it. I think it was in 2001, but I could be wrong.

I think Slash leaving was something that honestly hurt Axl and wasn't expected on his part. Remember reading that Axl tried contacting people close to him immediately after to convince him to come back. Axl's dislike of Slash in that era was that he thought he was distorting things that happened and putting him in a bad light.

Despite that I think he always respected his musicianship. I think there's an interview from 2001 or 02 where Axl admits the music they were makin in 1996 was really good.