Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

On 9/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, rocknroll41 said:

I agree with everything except IRS. I like the final version, but there are things from the 1999 and 2003 versions that I think got lost in the process… Oh also the drums on the HardSkool demo are still better. But yeah I at least agree about TWAT and Perhaps. That said, part of me still kinda wishes the album woulda just come out in 2001. Then we coulda gotten the follow-up in 2008, maybe. Oh well.

For me one of the only best additions by Bumble are the fills he added to IRS but I do love the original leaks as well 

On 9/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

TSI vocals were recorded along with UYI, and after the UYI tour, Axl did severe and irreversible damage to his vocal chords.

His vocals were mostly done during the recording of the UYIs but I think they added more songs to make a full album after the tour was over and even during it, no? @Blackstarkindly correct me if I’m wrong 

Edited by DTV88
Mobile posting sucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

His vocals were mostly done during the recording of the UYIs but I think they added more songs to make a full album after the tour was over and even during it, no? @Blackstarkindly correct me if I’m wrong 

It's irrelevant to my point, that his UYI and TSI vocals are the same style and character.

10 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I think his modern tone, at least live, is awful.

Listen to how he does the intro to Paradise City, with zero chorus or reverb whatsoever. Sounds terrible.

Also, his tone is so lacking in sustain that he often has to re-pluck a note because it's died out half-way through. Never mind that clean tone exposes the smallest mistakes and as a result he sounds sloppier today than when he was drinking a half gallon of vodka a day.

To me, his peak tone was the UYI tour. Even better than the album. His solo sections, from '92-'93 especially, were just so f*ckin dirty.

I mean, dear god...

I’ve seen Slash 10+ times with various projects, 6 of those with GNR, and his tones still always been killer 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

6 songs were done during the UYI sessions, of which two were sung by Duff. The rest were recording during and after the UYI tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Bumble’s solo on Shackler’s Revenge. Of course I’d probably prefer Bucket’s, I hope we get a more advanced demo of Shacker’s with Buckethead on it eventually. 

Does anyone think we will get any bits of Bumblefoot on future material? We got a little Bucket and Robin. I have a feeling they would prefer to utilize Bucket’s work.

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I like Bumble’s solo on Shackler’s Revenge. Of course I’d probably prefer Bucket’s, I hope we get a more advanced demo of Shacker’s with Buckethead on it eventually. 

Does anyone think we will get any bits of Bumblefoot on future material? We got a little Bucket and Robin. I have a feeling they would prefer to utilize Bucket’s work.

I would think so for Atlas, for any of the “CD2” material like Seven, Soul Monster etc I don’t see it happening tbh unless we get a CD box set in 2039

He probably never touched those ones?

9 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I would think so for Atlas, for any of the “CD2” material like Seven, Soul Monster etc I don’t see it happening tbh unless we get a CD box set in 2039

He probably never touched those ones?

He said he recorded on about 30 songs, so probably on everything that was considered for CD2. But I don't think there will be any traces of Bumblefoot in any future release, Atlas included.

• GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1

49 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Like others said, I doubt we'll hear any Bumblefoot on future songs. Maybe in a box set eventually, but nothing related to the current lineup. He had Slash's role - laying new parts over old songs, so if they're gonna keep anything from the original songs it makes sense that it would only be Brain, Bucket and Robin.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

40 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

30? Damn i didn’t remember that, so for sure there is at least one The General version with him?

He said in this interview that he worked for two weeks in Oct. 2006 and another two weeks in January 2007, and he recorded on one to three songs a day. So even if he did only one song per day on most days, it was at least 30 songs:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6558-2011-02-dd-guitar-part-france-interview-with-bumblefoot

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He said in this interview that he worked for two weeks in Oct. 2006 and another two weeks in January 2007, and he recorded on one to three songs a day. So even if he did only one song per day on most days, it was at least 30 songs:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6558-2011-02-dd-guitar-part-france-interview-with-bumblefoot

It’s not enough time to do proper work on songs that had years of arrangement and thought.  If his CD additions sound misplaced, it’s probably because of this IMO.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

What do you think about the additions from Bumble on CD?

For me one of the only best additions by Bumble are the fills he added to IRS but I do love the original leaks as well 

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’ve seen Slash 10+ times with various projects, 6 of those with GNR, and his tones still always been killer 

Did you see him live in 1991-1993? I will say it sounds slightly better in person, I suppose because of the natural distortion from sheer volume through the PA, which does not get captured by a raw soundboard feed. But I was still pining for the old Slash.

If he can't even get enough sustain to play November Rain how it was written, how is that killer?

Not to mention, he's much more careless about tempo these days. He rushes slow songs constantly. Hell, he rushes fast songs. His solos are all over the place rhythmically.

And I say all this as a huge Slash fanboy. I hate to see it because his control of dynamics, shifting between fast and slow while staying in the pocket all the way, was one of the big things that made me fall in love with his playing. As well as the tone. His loss of fluidity is the one thing I will cut him slack on because it probably just came with being drunk all the time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I reckon the best he's done so far

Interesting, he went back to doing both the call and response in the chorus. The first time, it sounded like he did the low harmony for the call, which would be a good solution if he really wants to do both parts. Although it may be hard to quickly switch back and forth between a low voice and a high one.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He explicitly said "about 40 songs": https://www.a-4-d.com/t6369-2010-10-dd-cool-magazine-austria-interview-with-bumblefoot#25058

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 8:52 PM, rebeldhipi said:

The only leak that i prefer over the official version is Hard Skool.

Madagascar 2000 and Better 2007 are pretty much a tie between the leaks and official versions.

Madagascar 2000 doesn't have the strings and huge drums though. 2007 version feels grandiose and like a film soundtrack. 

I'm the opposite, there isn't a track on the album that I don't prefer the leak to. Apart If The World because of the crappy drum machine on the leaks. 

• Like 1