THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, Arnuld said:

It has to be Soul Monster. I cannot imagine another song having a meaner bridge than that. It’s exactly how Axl described it in the chats in 2008. 

If Me And My Elvis became Leave Me Alone and then Soul Monster and then Monster, that’s a crazy transition instrumentally. Plus in 2010 it didn’t sound anything like the 2000 mix. But everything else makes sense. @Dexter please help us.

• PERHAPS 1

Just now, megaguns1982 said:

Funny that when Fernando said “the general is a monster” cryptically he was saying that we’ve had the general confused with monster.

Yeah, but the General is the monster. It's the same song (sort of) and that is cool as fuck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

It has to be Soul Monster. I cannot imagine another song having a meaner bridge than that. It’s exactly how Axl described it in the chats in 2008. 

It could be Soul Monster, but it could also be that the General orchestra was chopped up and added to Monstrocity, because we still have no clue what that is/was. The 'most Black Sabbath moment' description fits Me & My Elvis a lot more than it fits Monsters, but the bridge in Monsters fits the description of the bridge in Soul Monster. All 3 songs were listed separately in the CD2 email. It's all speculation for now.

At this point I don't even care, it's a great song that I've had on repeat all day. :headbang:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

The General is AI generated, no way that is Axl voice, he never sang that way in the studio.

I feel like "the general" in this leak is AI generated ... so many things out of timing and the vocals ... Monsters is Amazing

I don't think if thats a real gnr song it would stay on youtube for 3 hours. 

laugh-crying-laughing.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Funny that when Fernando said “the general is a monster” cryptically he was saying that we’ve had the general confused with monster.

It is such a crazy chain of stuff lol so we (the fans) were right that "the parts we heard somewhere" Axl mentioned was indeed the pre-show orchestra music....

But the song we thought it was ended up being another song tied to The General that used parts of the orchestra, and The General was actually another song that used other parts of the orchestral intro :lol:

This whole thing is like trying to explain the Lannister family tree to someone who doesn't know Game of Thrones

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

No one takes away anything from that era, but if I fell in love with Guns for those times I wouldn’t have stuck around if not for this new kind of music.

As with everything in life it’s about the journey, you know

Same. I feel like if the story ended after the spaghetti incident, they may have faded away. The intrigue around Axl is what kept interest from a lot of people. Sure, jungle, sweet child, November rain still would’ve been all time great songs, but without Axl’s 1994-2008 story, interest wanes. The promise of exceptional and progressive new material was what hooked a lot of us. 

• Like 1

I'm mad at myself for listening when I SWORE I would not... but I did.. and I agree with everyone else who says these songs are incredible.  That nasty riff in General, holy shit is that genuinely "heavy."  And then Monsters- I love it because it makes me think of how Prostitute and Atlas are: that they totally sound like, 1996/97, VH1 Pop up video and.... i don't know, yes, incredible. 

Just now, there is no dana only zool said:

I'm mad at myself for listening when I SWORE I would not... but I did.. and I agree with everyone else who says these songs are incredible.  That nasty riff in General, holy shit is that genuinely "heavy."  And then Monsters- I love it because it makes me think of how Prostitute and Atlas are: that they totally sound like, 1996/97, VH1 Pop up video and.... i don't know, yes, incredible. 

Can't blame yourself when the management fucked us around with the release date. Whoever leaked it is a legend.

• Like 2

I’m not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but I think I understand the ASCAP registration now. “The General and Monsters” was actually going to be vinyl exclusive, and was registered as it appeared on the vinyl (maybe?).

Also, I listened to it so many times and it just sounds like a meh rip of a vinyl. I think this has to be the final mix, but there’s a lot of low end rumble and ripping that sounds like it could be the cause of the recall?