THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 hour ago, 22frets said:

Not this again :facepalm:

It's not unusual for Slash to improvise his solos live. He hardly plays his solos note-for-note. What he played today followed a similar theme to the one in the recording and was only missing all the shreddy parts. He probably recorded it so long ago that he couldn't remember the exact notes and just winged it on the spot. 

1 hour ago, 22frets said:

Not this again :facepalm:

It's not unusual for Slash to improvise his solos live. He hardly plays his solos note-for-note. What he played today followed a similar theme to the one in the recording and was only missing all the shreddy parts. He probably recorded it so long ago that he couldn't remember the exact notes and just winged it on the spot. 

That's the problem with Slash these days.

He lost his good taste.

Instead of playing with emotion, nowadays he improvises and unceremoniously fries his guitar and the solo ends up being shit.

Playing fast has never been Slash's strong point.

He's not a technical guitarist.

I swear I can't understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

That was a great performance. However; that video animation in the background during the song was god awful. 

It's a crocodile or alligator which... gets injured/scarred? Probably some kind of metaphor for abuse and abusing and emotional scars, I dunno, such a weird choice. I'm not sure I understand the possessed bleeding piano for Perhaps either:shrugs:

11 hours ago, 22frets said:

Who else do you feel it could be? 

To be honest, the first time I listened to it, that part felt like Slash trying to play like Robin. But then I noticed the tone change and certain nuances which made me fairly certain that it's Richard. The phrasing and tone is quite similar to what I've seen him play live. 

One of the nuances I noticed is how he does a quick slide in and out certain notes (don't know how to describe it better). You can also hear him do the same thing in the part that he plays in the chorus of Madagascar if you listen closely. I've noticed Robin doing it sometimes too but it sounds slightly different.

Truthfully, I haven't listened to Richard and Robin outside of GnR so I could be totally wrong but to me it just makes sense that Richard would be the one playing on a mix that has Slash on it too. 

Nah, finally I think its Slash all the way. I think the outro solo consists of several layers and the most prominents to be all Slash as throughout the song as well. IF it's Richard then hat's off!

1 hour ago, KIKOZ3 said:

There is no Guns n Roses without Axl.

Without Slash it existed for years.

Let $lash play the barbie song.

sucker

All due respect, I don't think cares about this argument topic anymore, if you want to call him $lash and boast about how Axl carried on without him playing much smaller venues than with him, take a DeLorean with a time machine back to the year 2010 and go on a date with Volcano62 :lol: 

Edited by WhazUp
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

So now we know Monsters and The General are not a whole song, but in ASCAP It has been registered as The General and Monsters.

Monsters is a hidden track? Atlas probably has been delayed?, if It was ever coming, should we expect any more songs or this is the final

I’m still under the impression that the November Atlas release was just someone’s fantasy. I may be wrong, but where did the rumour come from anyway? Is there some proper basis for it? 

Edited by jamillos

4 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

So now we know Monsters and The General are not a whole song, but in ASCAP It has been registered as The General and Monsters.

Monsters is a hidden track? Atlas probably has been delayed?, if It was ever coming, should we expect any more songs or this is the final

hidden track? maybe, there was no official release date for Atlas so how can it be delayed, who knows what they'll release, if anything in the future, but I think it's possible at least one or a couple of Chinese tunes will be released in the future, but we have no idea about what their future plan is. (if there is a plan)

Edited by Rovim

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I’m still under the impression that the November Atlas release was just someone’s fantasy. I may be wrong, but where did the rumour come from anyway? Is there some proper basis for it? 

Was from the Twitter account of Has It Leaked, he told that he has a contact on the label or something like that and that was the plan, probably bullshit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THELINESMAN said:

I like the croc/gator background. Gives evil Estranged vibes (instead of dolphins underwater, crocs)....and if it was supposed to be an evil version/extension of Estranged...

It's a cool visual indeed but I think you're all looking too much into it. 

• Like 1

I expect them to release The General digitally soon, since they have played it live. Not sure about Monsters, would like to buy both in high res audio. 

It would be wonderful if they release a CD with Perhaps, The General, Monsters, and maybe one more song if they can manage, with some live tracks like before. This would be a nice November present.

• Like 1

It's clear now when Fernando said 'The General is a Monster' he meant what we thought was the general is called monsters. Not that they are two songs. The fact they have played it live initially delighted me but then saddened me that it wasnt followed by or including monsters. 

The fact they registered it as one track leads me to think they were going to spring a surprise and have monsters after the general on single. But the quality was obviously shit so they have most likely scrapped it and itll just be the general. Which would be a crying shame. Just baffling these songs are 20+ years old and we're only just getting them and still we might not get monsters for another couple of years! madness

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

It's clear now when Fernando said 'The General is a Monster' he meant what we thought was the general is called monsters. Not that they are two songs. The fact they have played it live initially delighted me but then saddened me that it wasnt followed by or including monsters. 

The fact they registered it as one track leads me to think they were going to spring a surprise and have monsters after the general on single. But the quality was obviously shit so they have most likely scrapped it and itll just be the general. Which would be a crying shame. Just baffling these songs are 20+ years old and we're only just getting them and still we might not get monsters for another couple of years! madness

I'd say you've done quite a leap there. I mean, "The General is a monster" vs. "The General is Monsters". I don't know, man. Gramatically, it doesn't really quite click. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Imo Monsters is about the child/mother relationship in regards to abuse suffered by The General.

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I'd say you've done quite a leap there. I mean, "The General is a monster" vs. "The General is Monsters". I don't know, man. Gramatically, it doesn't really quite click. 

I don't think it's a leap. Do you think it's mere coincidence he called it a monster? If he'd called it straight out Monsters, it wouldn't have made any sense at the time. Now everyone just thought he meant it was a monster of a song. It sounds like the thing Fernando would find funny.

Right now, I'm going with the theory that Monsters was to be the hidden track, not one song with The General. Hopefully we'll still get it at some point. I'm still wondering about who leaked it all though. It must be someone very close to the band. As I believe it's Slash on it, I don't think it's something the hoarders have had for years. I think if they had, we would've heard of the Monsters title before this. No one had it. And it wasn't until Blackstar found the credits that we first heard of Monsters at all. And lo and behold, a few days later, everything leaks, right after the delay, on the day we should've gotten The General (and Monsters?) and a week later, they do The General live. I know people have been called morons on here for thinking the band was involved, but until further notice, I still believe it's someone associated with the band who leaked it. Just because I think no hoarders had it, and I don't see a random studio guy leaking it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I owe @SoulMonster an apology. Axl really did finish the vocals for Soul Monster. I still don't think songs like Zodiac, Dub Suplex, Tonto, etc have finished vocals though :P

Nah, you really don't. Unless you insulted me, then you are my enemy for life!

Ironically, Monsters' got more vocals than The General which basically just repeats the first part of the song twice :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, you really don't. Unless you insulted me, then you are my enemy for life!

Ironically, Monsters' got more vocals than The General which basically just repeats the first part of the song twice :lol:

Well we've had many arguments over the years about whether or not Axl was being honest about saying he recorded the vocals for Soul Monster back in 2005. I lost faith, but I stand corrected.

• Like 1