THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

That's interesting another thing in the vault then, i tend to think that if a video for it included band members then Tommy or someone would have let this slip at some point over the years. So maybe there not in it.

Nicholas Peterson was approached to direct this video if i remember right

Obviously this is a sketchy Blabbermouth article but https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-to-surface-in-december

September 16, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES are rumored to have set December 10th (December 9th in Europe) as the release date for their long-awaited new album, Chinese Democracy, through Interscope/Geffen Records.

If the unconfirmed reports are to be believed, the album's first single, "Catcher In The Rye", is scheduled to surface on November 25th with an accompanying video to be filmed in the next four weeks prior to the start of the band's U.S. tour, which is said to have a late October kick-off date.

Obviously that didn't happen but there were rumours of the video after that. Possibly that article could be what led people to make it up (if it's not true)

What i remember hearing was that it was Axl in a field of corn stopping children running of a cliff edge, which does fit imagery in the book. all sounds a bit MJ Earth song stuff to me though lol

Maybe Axl was stopping the kids running away from MJ off a cliff....😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So...2 weeks until we get off the train?....or the conductor announces, due to misconduct, this train is permanently delayed?....

The week of 8th I'm fully expecting a further delay, this latest Fernando episode will probably push it back to January/February if we're lucky!

At least we have the leaks!

On 11/19/2023 at 2:25 PM, Illusion1987 said:

Not true..i'd say Perhaps WAS promoted.

They released a video and featured the song on an ongoing tour.

Promoted compared to what GnR have done for everything else since 1993 - actual music video and social media post acknowledgement. But no interviews, no tv shows, no paid advertising, hardly any radio play. It didnt even qualify as the bare minimum, but coz it was more than nothing, people confused it as a big effort from this useless band.

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's not really unofficial, it wasn't made by a fan or anything, it just was never officially released (and it's clear why imo)

why

8 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Andrew Watt has produced fantastic albums by Eddie Vedder, Iggy Pop, Ozzy and the Stones in just the last few years. And all of them sound great on my record player 🤷🏻‍♂️

Haven’t heard the Iggy album, but that Eddie Vedder album is very over-processed. The dynamic range is appalling. Compare the sound of it to any of his prior albums. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Haven’t heard the Iggy album, but that Eddie Vedder album is very over-processed. The dynamic range is appalling. Compare the sound of it to any of his prior albums. 

My setup isn’t exactly world class so maybe I just can’t hear that problem you’re referring to. 

7 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Just before everyone kicks off - the leaks will be the final product. No changes to mixing or any guitar work :awesomeface:

We still don't know what really leaked. I don't think we can expect new guitar work or any kind of new recording. But I doubt it's gonna be the final product. It's either the pressing the band was unhappy with or just unmixed/unmastered demos. That means I strongly believe we'll get the same product but with a better sound.

The real question here is, are those two tracks on the same 7" vinyl or is Monsters scheduled  for a future release in combination with another track?

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

it was shit

It wasn’t that bad imo, plus they could have patched up something like Perhaps at any time, which apparently is successful. I think it was connected with that "delays – Merck – Axl distancing himself from it all" nonsense going on behind the release. Too bad they didn’t decide to maybe work on it some more and release it later – it still would have been viable and desirable during that 2010 run. Oh well. 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:58 AM, Sweersa said:

I very much believe the pre NITL versions to be superior, as has been the case with the other reworked tunes, especially since we know these songs came from the Buckethead era. 

I really hope we get quality Roy Thomas Baker mixes of these tunes with Bucket and Brain. Back then, a lot of the Guns songs had long intros, and killer guitar solos. Great mixing too. At the very least, I hope they archived these mixes away somewhere to maintain for some sort of bonus anniversary release.

im sure those versions are out there too, its just hoping the people that have them will leak them at some point.

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

It wasn’t that bad imo, plus they could have patched up something like Perhaps at any time, which apparently is successful. I think it was connected with that "delays – Merck – Axl distancing himself from it all" nonsense going on behind the release. Too bad they didn’t decide to maybe work on it some more and release it later – it still would have been viable and desirable during that 2010 run. Oh well. 

I think the lineup changes killed any chance of the video releasing. Why release a video with Finck, Bucket, and Brain when they were no longer in the band?

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

1 hour ago, Amir said:

I think the lineup changes killed any chance of the video releasing. Why release a video with Finck, Bucket, and Brain when they were no longer in the band?

True, but they could have used the base, cut out the old guys and stick in the new ones. Most people care about Axl anyway. :) 

Edit: Look at the Perhaps video. They only started soundchecking it a while back and yet managed to use the Duff bit where he's actually singing it - so it apparently didn't take that much time to prepare. After all, this stuff can be done when there's will and competent people are employed. 

Edited by jamillos

This delay between the original vinyl release date and the actual release has been long enough now where I’m no longer excited for “The General” and “Monsters” to hit Spotify. Obviously that’s due to the leaks. I’ve listened so many times and love the songs. They just no longer feel “new.” Why this band keeps fucking up I have no idea. It’s been 15 years since I heard an officially-released GNR song that hasn’t leaked prior. It isn’t difficult. The tour was ending anyhow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

True, but they could have used the base, cut out the old guys and stick in the new ones. Most people care about Axl anyway. :) 

They had Bucket in the video, and he was out of the band for years when it was made. I don't think the lineup had anything to do with the release of the Better video.

14 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

This delay between the original vinyl release date and the actual release has been long enough now where I’m no longer excited for “The General” and “Monsters” to hit Spotify. Obviously that’s due to the leaks. I’ve listened so many times and love the songs. They just no longer feel “new.” Why this band keeps fucking up I have no idea. It’s been 15 years since I heard an officially-released GNR song that hasn’t leaked prior. It isn’t difficult. The tour was ending anyhow.

Hopefully the final versions of the songs will be mixed and mastered so they sound better. I can barely understand Axl in both of them.