THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I thought the same until I realized the difference between TSI and It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere is the mixing. Both were produced by Mike Clink and mastered by George Marino.

I think both, TSI and 5 o'clock are perfectly mixed and mastered.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

It's kind of sad that after almost 8 years since the reunion all we've got is 4 CD leftovers. I wish have released them in an EP by 2018/2019 and by now at least one brand new single. a normal band would released a brand new album from scratch already but it is what it is. I feel kind of dissapointed and i should have been used to it already but they always find a way to disappoint again

Slash and Duff didn't rejoin GN'R to create music, nor did Axl bring them back in to push the band forward, they did it for the touring money. Anyone who thought otherwise at the time were extremely naive. The fact that we are getting any music from them at all is a welcome surprise and a testament to the fact that they have managed to avoid any serious conflicts so far. 

• Like 4

Just now, alfa75 said:

Any chance all the distortion, clipping, etc are all part of some device to create this dark, chaotic, ambience? I would not put it past Axl ti do this.

You can sound dark and mysterious and have ambience without the kick drum in the chorus making it sound like your speakers are malfunctioning and blown out due to clipping - this is just another botched mixing job by someone catering to the Loudness Wars trends

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash and Duff didn't rejoin GN'R to create music, nor did Axl bring them back in to push the band forward, they did it for the touring money. Anyone who thought otherwise at the time were extremely naive. The fact that we are getting any music from them at all is a welcome surprise and a testament to the fact that they have managed to avoid any serious conflicts so far. 

Exactly this. Also re: the serious conflict part, I'd say by now duff an slash know which side their breads buttered (don't shake the Axl tree and watch the money keep rolling in) ;)

Edited by bumcheecksmcghee
  • Like 1

When I first heard the leak, I was a bit disappointed. No wonder though, considering the exceptions I had. Just as the other NITL releases, the song suffers from repetitiveness. Especially The General and Perhaps would have greatly benefitted from more lyrics or a little change up in the structure. Perhaps could've been a 10/10 song for me, if it weren't for the copy and paste shit. The final version of The General also really doesn't sound good. I feel like the leak had more punch?! I don't know what clipping is and therefore don't hear it ( I think), and I'd rather not find out because that would probably ruin the song completely.

That said, I still like the song. It really grew on me since the leak. I like the sinister vibe, the outro is great and overall the song is really catchy. Chinese Democracy is probably my favourite album of all time, and while TG doesn't compare to songs like TWAT, Prostitute or CITR, it still scratches an itch for me.  I'm a bit surprised that the reception on the forum is that horrible. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but worse than My World? Well, each to their own.

I'm glad I cancelled the Vinyl, though, especially after seeing what they did to the cover. God, this band. How I wish I didn't love GnR the way I do. Music life would be so much better if I was on a Metallica forum instead.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1
  • PERHAPS 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Based on how the 2008 album was mixed, I would guess with high confidence they didn't clip it. 1999 Oh My God was loud, but I don't think clipped. 

First time on any GNR release that sound is clipping... I'm pretty sure none of the band members have heard this before release... or they're going deaf :D

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

The general public hates it, of course.

I just hope that this will be a wake up call for Slash and he either puts his foot down and confronts Axl/ Team Brazil or leaves again. Right now, he's Axl's little bitch and should be ashamed of himself and this release.

You really need to grow up. You're embarrassing yourself 

• Like 2

So to summarise how this release went: 

- 'The General' and 'Monsters' accidentally registered as one song

- day of release, record delayed with no announcement until the very last second

- wrong artwork file sent to vinyl manufacturers

- wrong digital file uploaded to streaming services

Have I missed anything? Strikes me that literally every step of getting this song out there has been fucked up. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Maybe they released it partially because of the hype, yet didn't realize the hype was partially caused by folks having heard stuff they thought was The General but in reality was Monsters all along. 

possible, or maybe Axl just simply likes The General and he wanted to release it, just like Absurd.

22 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So to summarise how this release went: 

- 'The General' and 'Monsters' accidentally registered as one song

- day of release, record delayed with no announcement until the very last second

- wrong artwork file sent to vinyl manufacturers

- wrong digital file uploaded to streaming services

Have I missed anything? Strikes me that literally every step of getting this song out there has been fucked up. 

Kind of impressive.

15 hours ago, James Bond said:

To be fair, the song was never going to live up to the mythical proportions that have been bestowed upon it for years. However, when I'd hear things like "big guns" it was hard not to expect another There Was A Time or something.

I think that's because people confused the general and soul monster. Including seb bach and the phone cell leak. Soul monster is the best of what we've heard so if that had come out as the general it'd be received way better

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I missed this I think. What happened here?

It's an assumption on my part really. I've listened to the vinyl and the digital version on Tidal. Vinyl doesn't have the same sound quality issues that the digital version does. No horrific clipping trying to kill my speakers. 

My current guess is that the version uploaded to streaming services is the same version that was initially pressed to vinyl, and then scrapped due to quality issues. Somebody forgot to upload the new quieter version to streaming services. 

• Like 1

You can also hear the clipping in the guitars I feel. They sound very compressed, not as midi sounding as HS but close. They sound fake somehow, even though they’re not. The drums sound flat and lifeless, all vitality removed. The sound has an abrasive sound because of the clipping that I don’t think was the intent artistically. It makes it sound like a demo. 

• Like 2