Dave Abbruzzese says he bowed out of NuGnR "for the sake of Axl's ability to continue to be a creative force"

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Doug Smith [David probably means Doug Goldstein], the Guns' manager at the time, told me that the management and the label had a plan of letting the album we were making be the catalyst for getting Axl to reunite with Slash. The plan was to let him fail and the hope was that this failure would inspire him to reunite with Slash and get the big train back on the tracks.

There's been claims of this before but that was from Merk and Doc era's if I remember right. This is the first time off the top of my head that ive heard that plan being tied to the Goldstein era

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rindmelon said:

There's been claims of this before but that was from Merk and Doc era's if I remember right. This is the first time off the top of my head that ive heard that plan being tied to the Goldstein era

In his other interviews Dave Abbruzzese didn't describe it so clearly as a plan, but more like something Doug Goldstein and the label expected to happen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

yeahhhhhh right. It sounds like he stopped getting called and had to call Goldstein to figure out what was up and has somehow spun it to he said the music would be better as a solo album lol 

No, it doesn't sound like that at all.

Edited by Rayno
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

yeahhhhhh right. It sounds like he stopped getting called and had to call Goldstein to figure out what was up and has somehow spun it to he said the music would be better as a solo album lol 

Yeah it definitely doesn't sound like the label wanted one of their most successful bands to reunite and make them a boatload of cash.

What part of this story is new? We all knew the labels interest in the record and where they really wanted to take things. I think they eventually gave up though around the time of the "Mr Rose can finance his recording sessions" statement. I actually love that they failed to push him into it. 

Also no surprise the spineless Doug OR any manager for that matter would be working with the label hoping for big cash paydays 

• Like 1

He may well be telling the truth in this case, but I'm in the Pearl Jam world and Dave has always been a bit of an emotional charity case when it comes to his version of events and retelling stories. I think its a good tell that when PJ was combusting internally and NONE of the members wanted to even be around each other, even on stage, he somehow got the shortest end of the stick and was kicked. All of the drummers have come back and collaborated with PJ, even recently due to Matt Cameron getting covid, but guess who hasn't and won't? Dave A. Drummers at the RNRHOF?? All the ones on the albums, even Dave Krusen. Dave A on the other hand? Not even asked to appear.

What has Dave A done since Pearl Jam besides this story that would define his career on his resume, other than "I was Pearl Jam's drummer when they we're the biggest band in the world..." and arguably the best drummer thats been in the band, period. 

Eddie Vedder has grown immensely since 1994, as has Axl Rose. Axl squashed the beef with Slash, Duff, and Adler, while Izzy is still pending. Same situation with Eddie and Dave A. 

But if a fully mature Eddie Vedder ain't calling Dave A back in the 2020's, I can only imagine what happened between Axl and Dave in the 90's. 

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What part of this story is new? We all knew the labels interest in the record and where they really wanted to take things. I think they eventually gave up though around the time of the "Mr Rose can finance his recording sessions" statement. I actually love that they failed to push him into it. 

Nothing about this is new, but it still took Axl 10 years post this moment to actually put the album out. Meaning, Axl got his way multiple times after this moment. 

If Axl wanted Dave A in the band, Dave A would have been in the band regardless of what Goldstein thought. 

Now did spinless Doug Goldstein tell one Dave A (who had been out of the biggest band in the world for 3 years and done NOTHING afterward at this point)  "we don't need ya cuz we're gunna reunite the original band" as an excuse to get him to stop calling Axl? 

Thats up for debate in my head.... 

BTW Dave A only wrote 2 pearl jam songs and this is one of them: 

• Like 2

Dave A was a monster during PJ'S best era. No matter what beef is there, it's a joke that he wasn't inducted, and included in the HOF ceremony. Krusen played on Ten, dropped out pretty much quicky after, and got in. Dave should be in. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

New interview:

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/dave-abbruzzese-ex-pearl-jam

The GN'R part:

Songfacts: What do you recall about your experience working with Guns N' Roses?

Abbruzzese: The Guns thing was tough. Axl [Rose] and I became familiar with one another through nightly phone calls for months before we actually met and played music together. It was a tough time for me because I had quite a bit of soul poisoning from the way my manager handled my termination from Pearl Jam. I was leery of entering the big machine again because of it. Things were moving along well until I spoke to the G n' R management regarding my opinion that the new music might be better suited to an Axl solo album rather than a G n' R album.

Doug Smith [David probably means Doug Goldstein], the Guns' manager at the time, told me that the management and the label had a plan of letting the album we were making be the catalyst for getting Axl to reunite with Slash. The plan was to let him fail and the hope was that this failure would inspire him to reunite with Slash and get the big train back on the tracks. When I heard this I was forced to choose between informing Axl about it or just bowing out. I felt that if I told him of their plan it would destroy what little faith he had in the machine.

So I opted to take one on the chin and sacrifice my new friendship for the sake of Axl's ability to continue to be a creative force. It was a difficult decision but ultimately one that I am glad I made. I love that guy and I didn't want to be responsible for ruining the chance of him and the band continuing to make music for their fans that had waited so patiently for so long for G n' R to get back to it.

I have nothing to support this other than the odd thing here and there I've read about this guy over the years, but the general consensus seems to be that he's off the reservation and full of shit. In what world would a record company, who's primary focus is to make money, allow the funding and failure of an act to the detriment of their reputation just to get a prior member in? 

None of the Beatles' former studios even tried stuff like that. Sounds entirely invented.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I have nothing to support this other than the odd thing here and there I've read about this guy over the years, but the general consensus seems to be that he's off the reservation and full of shit. In what world would a record company, who's primary focus is to make money, allow the funding and failure of an act to the detriment of their reputation just to get a prior member in? 

None of the Beatles' former studios even tried stuff like that. Sounds entirely invented.

There was just something in what he was saying that I went looking on the net suspecting there might be some reservation issues.  :lol:  Popped right up.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised the record company let it go on as long as they did, I think they were all hoping Axl would get discouraged and give in for a reunion but didn't count on how stubborn he is. But great interview! That was something new I'd never seen before 

4 hours ago, GoBucky said:

Dave A was a monster during PJ'S best era. No matter what beef is there, it's a joke that he wasn't inducted, and included in the HOF ceremony. Krusen played on Ten, dropped out pretty much quicky after, and got in. Dave should be in. 

Their best drummer for me, and they’ve had a few good ones. 

8 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

He may well be telling the truth in this case, but I'm in the Pearl Jam world and Dave has always been a bit of an emotional charity case when it comes to his version of events and retelling stories. I think its a good tell that when PJ was combusting internally and NONE of the members wanted to even be around each other, even on stage, he somehow got the shortest end of the stick and was kicked. All of the drummers have come back and collaborated with PJ, even recently due to Matt Cameron getting covid, but guess who hasn't and won't? Dave A. Drummers at the RNRHOF?? All the ones on the albums, even Dave Krusen. Dave A on the other hand? Not even asked to appear.

What has Dave A done since Pearl Jam besides this story that would define his career on his resume, other than "I was Pearl Jam's drummer when they we're the biggest band in the world..." and arguably the best drummer thats been in the band, period. 

Eddie Vedder has grown immensely since 1994, as has Axl Rose. Axl squashed the beef with Slash, Duff, and Adler, while Izzy is still pending. Same situation with Eddie and Dave A. 

But if a fully mature Eddie Vedder ain't calling Dave A back in the 2020's, I can only imagine what happened between Axl and Dave in the 90's. 

Nothing about this is new, but it still took Axl 10 years post this moment to actually put the album out. Meaning, Axl got his way multiple times after this moment. 

If Axl wanted Dave A in the band, Dave A would have been in the band regardless of what Goldstein thought. 

Now did spinless Doug Goldstein tell one Dave A (who had been out of the biggest band in the world for 3 years and done NOTHING afterward at this point)  "we don't need ya cuz we're gunna reunite the original band" as an excuse to get him to stop calling Axl? 

I feel theres a reason behind Daves character as why he hasnt been recruited in ANY other band after he was booted from PJ.

I also feel this may be a reason why he wasnt asked to join gnr.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

And why would you assume that's what everyone does in your hypothetical scenario?

Very dark world view.

9 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

The way you frame it is funny. Like Dave was calling Axl every night hounding him. It's more likely Axl was calling Dave talking about the old band, what he should do musically now and and Dave was trying to get off the phone because his ear was getting burnt off😄

As far as Dave being out of the biggest band for 3yrs and not having done anything... well, that didn't hurt his ability to land himself in the drum seat with GNR (however short lived). And what constitutes as nothing to you or I might actually be a lot more, but maybe it just wasn't major label stuff OR he just took a career break which is fair enough he had the money!

If Axl wanted Dave, Dave would have been in GNR... well, Axl did want Dave.... that's why he hired him, Dave was the one who left, unless you have another story saying otherwise from someone who was actually there. Speculation is fine, but when the guy who it happened to is telling the story and you're say "nah, I know what really happened" it's a bit of a head-scratcher. Does Dave have a history of making up BS claims? the few interviews he's given over the years seem very matter of fact to me.

As far as as Dave not getting inducted in the RNRHOF, that was a Eddie thing. You can say he's grown a lot over the years... which might be true, but if you read other members of PJ talk about Eddie and the PJ song writing process there is 100% some dissatisfaction with how Eddie controlled the songwriting. Maybe things have got more democratic between them since though

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Credibility aside, I'd like to hear how that music was coming out with that lineup. Seems very interesting to me to have Duff and Robin playing together, I don't think Duff talked much about it. 

Supposedly OMG already existed at that time.