Dave Abbruzzese says he bowed out of NuGnR "for the sake of Axl's ability to continue to be a creative force"

12 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

And why would you assume that's what everyone does in your hypothetical scenario?

Very dark world view.

I provided facts in a follow up post for why Dave might not be the most credible source and why i believe that hypothetical scenario, but yet somehow it taints my WHOLE worldview based off of one opinion i've formed on ONE person who just happened to be associated with two of my favorite bands? 

Okay internet guru, thanks for the diagnosis!

I'll go watch Dave A's cover of Pearl Jam's "Breath" that he did last year, ya know 29 years after he got kicked out of PJ because he's done soooooooooooooooo much with his credibility since that time. 

Jesus. 

Edited by KeyserSoze

On 1/10/2024 at 12:25 PM, Spoon87 said:

I always thought of him as more of a show-off that anything else. Sure, good drummer, but in every interview I've read or seen he comes across as a guy who likes to talk too much.

Are you talking about Matt or Steven?

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:50 PM, W. Axl Kev said:

In what world would a record company, who's primary focus is to make money, allow the funding and failure of an act to the detriment of their reputation just to get a prior member in? 

None of the Beatles' former studios even tried stuff like that. Sounds entirely invented.

This. Since when do record companies appreciate what specific members bring to the table in a band? They still had the name GNR and that's all they cared about. Just look at how often corporate executives cheapen a product to hell and ruin it, but people keep buying them because of the name. Suits don't appreciate quality.

At all points in time, everything was about getting Slash back and Duff, and whoever else, because that's where the money was and still is, whatever path was needed.

If you noticed with the Axl chats, there was that big spiel at the end where he went on about running GN'R himself and the pressure that came with it. It'd be interesting to hear from Axl in the future about it all

On 1/9/2024 at 5:31 PM, Blackstar said:

Good reads. Never saw those before. Saying GNR don’t have stage presence is QUITE the take though. 

• Like 2

From everything I read about the Chinese era, I don’t think the label wanted Axl to fail, but I do think they wanted to get a reunion out of him, and delaying the release may have been part of it (in hopes Slash would return first and record on it). At least at some point.  

On 1/9/2024 at 6:24 PM, Blackstar said:

New interview:

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/dave-abbruzzese-ex-pearl-jam

The GN'R part:

Songfacts: What do you recall about your experience working with Guns N' Roses?

Abbruzzese: The Guns thing was tough. Axl [Rose] and I became familiar with one another through nightly phone calls for months before we actually met and played music together. It was a tough time for me because I had quite a bit of soul poisoning from the way my manager handled my termination from Pearl Jam. I was leery of entering the big machine again because of it. Things were moving along well until I spoke to the G n' R management regarding my opinion that the new music might be better suited to an Axl solo album rather than a G n' R album.

Doug Smith [David probably means Doug Goldstein], the Guns' manager at the time, told me that the management and the label had a plan of letting the album we were making be the catalyst for getting Axl to reunite with Slash. The plan was to let him fail and the hope was that this failure would inspire him to reunite with Slash and get the big train back on the tracks. When I heard this I was forced to choose between informing Axl about it or just bowing out. I felt that if I told him of their plan it would destroy what little faith he had in the machine.

Really hard to figure out why Axl isn't interested in making new music anymore.

So, Dave says Goldstein and co wanted to do the same thing as Azoff and co. Humor Axl with his glorified solo album and wait for him to call Slash back.

That happened, only they overestimated Axl's drive to follow CD up with a "proper" Guns album.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What about his comment that Greg Gilmore was supposed to be the drummer back in 85, but ousted, and Izzy was the purely a songwriter who wasn't supposed to be the image of the band and that the whole band was basically industry-manufactured?? This is completely off-the-wall but Abbruzzeze should know what he's talking about. 

17 minutes ago, MCollins said:

What about his comment that Greg Gilmore was supposed to be the drummer back in 85, but ousted, and Izzy was the purely a songwriter who wasn't supposed to be the image of the band and that the whole band was basically industry-manufactured?? This is completely off-the-wall but Abbruzzeze should know what he's talking about. 

I think he apparently doesn't know what he's talking about regarding this subject:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MCollins said:

А как насчет его комментария о том, что Грег Гилмор должен был быть барабанщиком еще в 85-м, но был изгнан, а Иззи был просто автором песен, который не должен был быть имиджем группы, и что вся группа, по сути, была создана индустрией? ? Это совершенно необычно, но Аббруццезе должен знать, о чем говорит. 

I think the talent managers brought them all together and just waited for them to become friends, and then the myths about what a fun and friendly band they were were fixed in interviews and then in autobiographies. By the way, one of the talent managers, Vicky Hamilton, said that Axl threatened her. That's not why he threatened her so that she wouldn't blab about how it really was? 

In addition, someone in one of the biographies (I don't remember who wrote, maybe Steven Davis or maybe Razcue) mentioned that Duff was brought to GNR by a talent manager. I think the name Vicky Hamilton was mentioned. 

It was from the very beginning. The usual way to survive and build a career. Nothing to condemn. Judging by the stories of participants in the Los Angeles scene and near it, there were many children of rich parents and parents with musical connections among the musicians in the city. Izzy led the line of acquaintance with them. Chris Webber is the son of wealthy parents, Tracii Guns and Slash are the children of well-connected parents. I think at some point (if we remember, Izzy took Axl away from Rapidfire), they both realized that without influential friends they would not advance. They were ready for the marketing deal mentally. And I think Slash and his parents were actively involved in this deal (Axl and Izzy offer themselves as a tandem of creators, authors (songs, riffs and possibly solos) Slash offers his connections. 

In my opinion, the idea of a marketing project is the missing puzzle to understand what is happening with the band now and especially the last 8 years, no matter how bitter the truth may be. They are used to making deals, acting rationally, and not going the romantic creative way of creating a work of art together. The fact is that the deal between Axl/Izzy and Slash completed (circa 1991). For a new collaboration, they need a new foundation, in this case it's only money. In the classic line-up, the author of the riffs and songs was Izzy/Axl and the fact that they refused to reunite Izzy (songwriter) suggests that writing an album with original music was not from the beginning part of the reunion deal. 

I guess Dave's right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, lunastar said:

I think the talent managers brought them all together and just waited for them to become friends, and then the myths about what a fun and friendly band they were were fixed in interviews and then in autobiographies. By the way, one of the talent managers, Vicky Hamilton, said that Axl threatened her. That's not why he threatened her so that she wouldn't blab about how it really was? 

In addition, someone in one of the biographies (I don't remember who wrote, maybe Steven Davis or maybe Razcue) mentioned that Duff was brought to GNR by a talent manager. I think the name Vicky Hamilton was mentioned. 

It was from the very beginning. The usual way to survive and build a career. Nothing to condemn. Judging by the stories of participants in the Los Angeles scene and near it, there were many children of rich parents and parents with musical connections among the musicians in the city. Izzy led the line of acquaintance with them. Chris Webber is the son of wealthy parents, Tracii Guns and Slash are the children of well-connected parents. I think at some point (if we remember, Izzy took Axl away from Rapidfire), they both realized that without influential friends they would not advance. They were ready for the marketing deal mentally. And I think Slash and his parents were actively involved in this deal (Axl and Izzy offer themselves as a tandem of creators, authors (songs, riffs and possibly solos) Slash offers his connections. 

In my opinion, the idea of a marketing project is the missing puzzle to understand what is happening with the band now and especially the last 8 years, no matter how bitter the truth may be. They are used to making deals, acting rationally, and not going the romantic creative way of creating a work of art together. The fact is that the deal between Axl/Izzy and Slash completed (circa 1991). For a new collaboration, they need a new foundation, in this case it's only money. In the classic line-up, the author of the riffs and songs was Izzy/Axl and the fact that they refused to reunite Izzy (songwriter) suggests that writing an album with original music was not from the beginning part of the reunion deal. 

I guess Dave's right.

a lot of baseless speculation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lunastar said:

I guess Dave's right.

I call that bullshit