New Sean Beavan Interview Talking Chinese Democracy, Axl, GNR, NIN & More!

4 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Yes, so we can assume that the rest has been remixed. So, technically we haven't heard beaven's mix of the album, only RTB's rough mix

I think Rough Mixes 1-4 are the original Beavan Mixes.  If you listen to the TWAT “Beavan Mix” on the one TWAT disc, it’s exactly the same as Rough Mixes #1

i think RTB started remixing it in 2001, because there is that other Rough Mixes disc from June 01 and theyre starting to sound much different than the RM reference discs 

I guess one way to guess is, was RTB brought on before or after Zutaut joined the team. Because it seems the first 4 rough mix discs were to give to Zutaut as “here’s what we’ve been working on as of now”

Edited by BillConnor_1982

21 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

I think Rough Mixes 1-4 are the original Beavan Mixes.  If you listen to the TWAT “Beavan Mix” on the one TWAT disc, it’s exactly the same as Rough Mixes #1

i think RTB started remixing it in 2001, because there is that other Rough Mixes disc from June 01 and theyre starting to sound much different than the RM reference discs 

I guess one way to guess is, was RTB brought on before or after Zutaut joined the team. Because it seems the first 4 rough mix discs were to give to Zutaut as “here’s what we’ve been working on as of now”

Good detective work, I never thought of that, and it's plausible. How would one find out what month/year, RTB started on CD? 

Edited by jimisbatman

On 2/22/2018 at 4:18 AM, Order of Nine said:

Tommy Stinson from 2009 blabbermouth

Bass Player: Describe the writing process for "Chinese Democracy".

Stinson: I came in around '98 when the band was still writing the record. It was Paul Tobias and Robin Finck on guitar, Dizzy Reed andChris Pitman on keys, Josh on drums and me. Everybody was just slowly starting to bring in ideas. We were set up at Rumbo Recorders, a big studio out in the middle of nowhere. A funny thing — Captain & Tennille own it. The whole thing looks like a boat. Anyway, we all just started hammering ideas out. Essentially it was eight guys collaborating. To be thrown into that kind of environment — eight guys from very different walks of life — was very crazy, I'd never worked in that way, but it was cool. There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones.

Bass Player: How did you work out your ideas in a civil way?

Stinson: We each had to give reasons for liking or disliking something — you couldn't just be bull-headed. We had to function as a democracy or we'd end up hating each other. Collaborating was good for that. I think every one of us learned a lot from it.

Derp derp derp derp

They were hired guns, hired to write, hired to record and hired to preform. 

A solo album doesn't mean going full Mike Oldfield I the studio, writing producing and playing every single instrument.

Mark knopfler wrote almost every Dire Straits song, so does Danzig at Misfits. It doesn't mean those albums were solo efforts. 

David Bowie, a solo artist, colaberted with many musicians- co-wrote songs together- and the albums were still considered solo.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Good detective work, I never thought of that, and it's plausible. How would one find out what month/year, RTB started on CD? 

Early 2000, probably February, RTB was doing try-out production. Sean Beavan was still there at that time.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Early 2000, probably February, RTB was doing try-out production. Sean Beavan was still there at that time.

Which is why trying to discern who (beaven/RTB) produced what, on the village leaks, unless stated, is very hard to determine. Thanks anyway 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/24/2018 at 3:07 AM, RONIN said:

Did I miss this? I don't recall hearing this in the interview but if he said that...wow, interesting indeed. It's conceivable that Duff could have overlapped with Vrenna since Matt was fired in early '97 and Duff stayed on till August. 

Beavan's interview also confirms that Axl was gunning for a trilogy of albums with each one being stylistically different. 

They pretty much covered most of the good stuff with Beavan - I guess the only missing piece of the puzzle was asking him about how far along they were with the album prior to his exit. The rumor is that Beavan's CD was already mastered and that it was Geffen that killed the release of that album even though Axl was ready to roll. From what Beavan seems to be saying, the album was still bogged down in the vocals stage and that they weren't even at a point where it was nearing completion, let alone ready for release which sounds more plausible. Something big must have happened to the album's status around that time given Beavan, Freese, Finck, and Billy Howerdel all quitting in quick succession around 2000. Nearly the whole original team quit and they replaced them with a new producer, lead guitarist, and drummer. Feels almost like there was an Axl or Geffen mandate to change the direction of the album by bringing in a new team. 

Fantastic interview though. 

Yes, that "mandate" has name.

Bob Ezrin.

---

Man, this thread is mental.

Again! Sorry @Pele

You just won the forum. 
And some users are still trolling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

I'm still amazedd by this interview. 

Chinese Democracy is certainly of the latest great piece of Art on this century, that's for sure.

Beaven deserves more credit, indeed.

Jesus christ. You have got to stop bumping threads just to post nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

So scheduled interview with Sean for me on 2/6

Questions?

Amazing!

When he left the project, did he feel as if they were nearing completion? Was the finish line in sight?

Axl's vocal recording process. I'm pretty sure he's stated elsewhere that his vocals were completed mostly on the first take, but if he can shed any more light on that, it'd be amazing!

Songs that immediately stood out to him?

What did he learn from the project as a whole? Did he feel it bettered him for his line of work or prevented him from exploring other opportunities?

What's his favourite Tommy Stinson song?!

• Thanks 1