Reviewer loves Slash BUT sees "accumulation of clichés", finds Myles "a gleaming simulacrum" and asks: "is Slash's heart really in this album?"

ludurigan

Living the Dream is by far the weakest album of the three. The songs are just ok and several of them resemble songs from Slash’s past or songs by other artists. First off, the title Mind Your Manners has already been taken by another very famous band in recent years (Pearl Jam), the bridge in Driving Rain is exactly like Standing In the Sun, Read Between the Lines is very similar to Pills Demons Etc by Velvet Revolver, and the intro to Blvd of Broken Hearts sounds a lot like Eye of the Tiger. I don’t know if Slash and company just got lazy or if they’re starting to run out of ideas, maybe a combination of both. Overall, very disappointing album. 

Personally none of Slash's albums with Myles have really grabbed me and garnered much repeated listenings.  Not that they are bad, but yeah I just hear very few moments of true Slash-y goodness.  Anastasia is probably my favorite song he has done in recent times though, now THAT is a true gem.

Really my main issue comes down to variety.  Like, even though the Illusions had some filler on them, there was so much variety that even the not-so-great songs are memorable just because of how different they are - like You Ain't The First for example

A ton of his songs are basically, "'Generic Slash riff, Slash riff quieted down as Myles sings the verses, generic chorus, back to generic Slash riff, generic Slash solo, outro".  

I think of this newest album as WOF left overs.  I believe a lot of it was written pre guns. or at least the ideas for the song were.  

my guess is they were never properly worked up due to slash going back to gnr and having so little time during the break from that tour and recording this record.  but that said I like the album almost as much as i like WOF.  I know what I'm getting with SMKC.  I don't expect anything other that some rockers that will help make a long car ride enjoyable.  I have enough stress and responsibility on a day to day basis, so some brainless "cock rock" is perfectly fine with me.   we don't need to reinvent Led Zepplin. 

I will say that I'm disappointed in Myles on this album though.  his lyrics are pretty bad, even for him.  I like his voice but the guy has the stage presence of a coat rack and I always thought his lyrics were corny but this time it's bad. not to mention recycled.  how do you reuse lyrics from two albums ago????

slash is coming to philly next week and this the first time I'm going to miss him since he before toured on Ain't life Grand.  might change my mind the day of, but as of now I'm  cool with sitting this one out. cant figure out exactly why.  maybe its bc I always wanted to hear him play the gnr stuff.  now that I saw 3 NITL shows, I'm good. don't need more Myles.

I'm hoping he gets this record and your out if his system and we get a new gnr record. but I've been a guns fan for 25 years and I have an idea of what to expect by now. 

Edited by Chester 524

I feel like I wrote that review. Spot on without being a jerk about it. Even strictly within the SMKC triology it’s bad.

We gotta hold our guy to a higher standard, boys. TIME TO MIX IT UP.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

Slash has always suffered from standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus syndrome. Obviously its a tried and true song structure, but he does it on almost every song he writes. I think every song on this and his first solo album have the same structure

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Slash has always suffered from standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chorus syndrome. Obviously its a tried and true song structure, but he does it on almost every song he writes. I think every song on this and his first solo album have the same structure

I don't get that criticism. 98% of all pop/rock songs follow that structure.

Edited by Towelie

10 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

Slash is coming to philly next week and this the first time I'm going to miss him since he before toured on Ain't life Grand.  might change my mind the day of, but as of now I'm  cool with sitting this one out. cant figure out exactly why.  maybe its bc I always wanted to hear him play the gnr stuff.  now that I saw 3 NITL shows, I'm good. don't need more Myles.

Aside from Blues Ball when I was in the NAVY and didn't know it was happening, I haven't missed a Slash show since my first Guns sho win 91.. Next week will be my first... :/

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Aside from Blues Ball when I was in the NAVY and didn't know it was happening, I haven't missed a Slash show since my first Guns sho win 91.. Next week will be my first... :/

Seems like spending money for buying tickets again and watch SMKC perform  some songs you don't enjoy in a two hour set wouldn't hurt you so much like to wasting this opportunity. :shrugs:

• Like 1

On 04/10/2018 at 6:26 AM, El Guapo said:

Maybe reviews like this are a good thing and make Slash realize he got a bit to comfortable and lazy with Myles.

I mean, everybody loves Slash and he surely deserves his nice, safe little band.

Myles is a great person, I'm sure.

But man, Slash is really wasting his time and talent at this point.

Hopefully all of this leads to new Guns music. You got Axl fucking Rose there, Slash. :)

Agreed!

I think his best n' inspired solo work was the second Snakepit album, with Rod Jackson.

I like half the "Slash" album with "By The Sword" / "Watch This" / "Crucify The Dead" / "Baby Can Drive".

The rest... bléeeeeeeeeeee :bitchfight:

No, his heart isn't in this album, unfortunately.  At this point, now that Gn'R reunited he should try something new.  Myles is an incredible musician, a great singer but a better guitarist.  He should go instrumental and change things up for his upcoming shows.  He could still call his band The Conspirators or whatever the fuck.  Just do something different, nobody will complain, at least not the fans who actually buy Slash's albums or go to his shows, but one thing is certain, everybody will appreciate it.

Guns is first, have always been.  We, as fans, got Guns.  Now you have the freedom of going on stage to take a dump, people will still attend the shows.  Tickets will sell.  Not sure why he keep pushing the 'rock n' roll, amps on stage' formula for his shows.

5 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

No, his heart isn't in this album, unfortunately.  At this point, now that Gn'R reunited he should try something new.  Myles is an incredible musician, a great singer but a better guitarist.  He should go instrumental and change things up for his upcoming shows.  He could still call his band The Conspirators or whatever the fuck.  Just do something different, nobody will complain, at least not the fans who actually buy Slash's albums or go to his shows, but one thing is certain, everybody will appreciate it.

Guns is first, have always been.  We, as fans, got Guns.  Now you have the freedom of going on stage to take a dump, people will still attend the shows.  Tickets will sell.  Not sure why he keep pushing the 'rock n' roll, amps on stage' formula for his shows.

He would lose a massive chunk of his audience if he went instrumental. There isn't a huge amount of interest in instrumental musicians and Slash has always enjoyed being a part of a band.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 9:30 AM, Towelie said:

When the song being played is genuinely a GREAT song, or at VERY least a pretty good song, than that structure is fine. Or IF you are going to use THAT structure, you need to have interesting dynamics in the music. Which, if we are honest here, SMKC falls short on BOTH accounts. Which just leads to boring, generic sounding rock music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

He would lose a massive chunk of his audience if he went instrumental. There isn't a huge amount of interest in instrumental musicians and Slash has always enjoyed being a part of a band.

Probably.

What I was trying to say was, though, he should include an instrumental set on his current shows.  To shake things up a little.

• Thanks 1

Today was the first time since  I bought the album  that I listened to it while driving. I thought it was a good album. Besides Slash's playing, the drums really stood out  for me. I wish that Fitz was the drummer for GNR.  His drumming kinda reminds me a bit of Adler.  Myles has a good voice, but he definitely lacks in stage presence when I saw SMKC last  Monday. 

Slash clearly needs somebody to challenge him to create truly memorable music, at this point with his band, his own studio, Myles and Elvis, he is just too comfortable, there's no struggle, no conflict... And I believe that's where epic songs come from, without even mentioning the lyrics. I find everything in this last album a missed opportunity cause it's clear the guy has still a lot to say musically if you just hear the riffs and leads spread around the album... Still this gives me a lot of hope for a gnr album cause some of this stuff, which even for him is supposed to be the generic stuff I think since he has a different vault let's say for gnr riffs and ideas, some of the stuff in living the dream has so much potential in a Guns environment. So in conclusion this record passes by for me, some casual listening more out of hope for gnr than anything else. 

and even if I'm a bit sad that this album is so bland I think it's a good thing to have almost everybody feel like that because slash could be even more motivated to go in the studio with gnr and bring out the best out of himself and everybody else so maybe there is a silver lining: maybe they'll finally admit that they just need each other on a creative level and they can still make history after many years 

Edited by Don-t_damn_me

Listened to the album prior to any “reviews check” and indeed many songs seemed to me pretty much the same, so completely agree that “the similarities between many of the riffs”. Though, must say I liked the record, however, at this point there is only one song I’d like to return again - Driving Rain. Maybe, I’l catch up with some more, but for now all of them more like “fillers”.

And have nothing against Myles Kennedy, he’s a really great guy and a decent singer, but yet again, agree that “great for sharing a tour bus but more like call of the mild on the record”. As for me he’s too simple, there is no wide range in voice and style, no aggression. Though, he sings well. 

Don’t know whether Slash’s forgotten to put a heart, but probably there is not much to tell for an aged rock star, especially when it’s not a challenge but just a “one more record to do a one more tour”. Hope he’ll put more efforts and a diversity in Guns’ album.

Not every singer that plays with Slash has to be edgy. Can't comment on the album as I haven't listened to it, besides the singles... Just thought the underlying bits about Myles were from a Axl fan who can't stand to hear Slash with anything other than Axl. I know he mentioned Scott, but it seemed like an after thought to hide his trail.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, Towelie said:

YEAH the difference is that some pop songs are catchy and that strutcure works when the song is catchy and full of hooks.

when the song is a bore, that sorta structure is irritating because all the boring parts repeat a lot

On 06/10/2018 at 1:33 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

When the song being played is genuinely a GREAT song, or at VERY least a pretty good song, than that structure is fine. Or IF you are going to use THAT structure, you need to have interesting dynamics in the music. Which, if we are honest here, SMKC falls short on BOTH accounts. Which just leads to boring, generic sounding rock music. 

e-fuckin-xactly

12 hours ago, Don-t_damn_me said:

Slash clearly needs somebody to challenge him to create truly memorable music, at this point with his band, his own studio, Myles and Elvis, he is just too comfortable, there's no struggle, no conflict... And I believe that's where epic songs come from, without even mentioning the lyrics. I find everything in this last album a missed opportunity cause it's clear the guy has still a lot to say musically if you just hear the riffs and leads spread around the album... Still this gives me a lot of hope for a gnr album cause some of this stuff, which even for him is supposed to be the generic stuff I think since he has a different vault let's say for gnr riffs and ideas, some of the stuff in living the dream has so much potential in a Guns environment. So in conclusion this record passes by for me, some casual listening more out of hope for gnr than anything else. 

and even if I'm a bit sad that this album is so bland I think it's a good thing to have almost everybody feel like that because slash could be even more motivated to go in the studio with gnr and bring out the best out of himself and everybody else so maybe there is a silver lining: maybe they'll finally admit that they just need each other on a creative level and they can still make history after many years 

i see your point on "challenging" and "conflict" but at this point i truly believe that all that slash (and axl) need are good songs

apparently they can't create good songs by themselves, as "proven" by their solo efforts. the few good songs on their solo efforts are just exceptions

give slash a good song -- good chord sequences with good dynamics, groove etc -- and both axl and slash will sound absolutely brilliant on it

we all know who can help slash and axl with that

and it is not duff

nor the aliens