Jump to content
GNRfanMILO

Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

Recommended Posts

Let me put it this way - if Slash had made amends with Axl prior to 2008, would we have ever heard “Sorry”?

Doubtful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys. let's break it down. paul plays the intro? robin does the middle? bucket does the outro? brain does the drums? thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I think the only Bucket is the lot little ascending break in between the outro chorus'

Intro and Bridge leads and final outro are probably Robin imo

Edited by ZoSoRose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The arrangement needs a bit of work, the solo is decent but could be better. The part before the last chorus could be cut. Honestly just some knit picky shit from a pretty damn good song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does the "too hard school" part mean though? It reminds me of this quote by Axl:  ''Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,'. So my interpretation is that from Axl's point of view being in GNR was too much work for Slash and that's what "too hard school" means. But I could be way off since english isn't my first language. Obviously it could fit Adler and Izzy too.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear other interpretations, especially from people whose native language is english.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
2 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

What does the "too hard school" part mean though?

A few pages back an user posted some very interesting research about the meaning of the "hard school" idiom. Check it out, I think it's on page 18 or so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Its Tino said:

Clean, simple to-the-point rocker. About damn time!

After all these years, we finally hear Jackie Chan/Checkmate! Unreal! What year was it when we first heard the name of this track?

 

2006 when the 16 second clip leaked is the first we heard of Checkmate AFAIK. The first time it was referred to as Jackie Chan was by Axl during the forum chats in December 2008. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

A few pages back an user posted some very interesting research about the meaning of the "hard school" idiom. Check it out, I think it's on page 18 or so.

Can't find that but I just assumed it's a play on old school/new school whereby hard school means a stubborn muther fucker.

It's funny, the very first bookmark at the top of my daily list of shit to check for the past 20 odd years has been MyGnR or another Guns site, specifically in case of days like this. But whereas years ago I would have lost my shit, 3.5 years of touring the same old stuff has really dampened by enthusiasm. 

I like the tune. Had Axl got a record out back then this would have been a sweet little b-side on a proper single. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Why was it called Jackie Chan btw? Was this suppose to be on some JC movie soundtrack?

Don’t know where the name came from, but during the chats someone asked Axl about Checkmate and he said it’s actually a song called Jackie Chan. No context given. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Can't find that but I just assumed it's a play on old school/new school whereby hard school means a stubborn muther fucker.

It's funny, the very first bookmark at the top of my daily list of shit to check for the past 20 odd years has been MyGnR or another Guns site, specifically in case of days like this. But whereas years ago I would have lost my shit, 3.5 years of touring the same old stuff has really dampened by enthusiasm. 

I like the tune. Had Axl got a record out back then this would have been a sweet little b-side on a proper single. 

Ever since this track was leaked, I’ve been wanting to hear your thoughts on this song vocally. You usually always articulate your comments on Axls voice exactly how I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

What does the "too hard school" part mean though? It reminds me of this quote by Axl:  ''Slash told me, 'I don't want to work that hard,'. So my interpretation is that from Axl's point of view being in GNR was too much work for Slash and that's what "too hard school" means. But I could be way off since english isn't my first language. Obviously it could fit Adler and Izzy too.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear other interpretations, especially from people whose native language is english.

3 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Can't find that but I just assumed it's a play on old school/new school whereby hard school means a stubborn muther fucker.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shacklermyrye said:

So Axl wishes she was Steven Seymour?

So Axl wishes “he” was Steven Seymour :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

D# minor. Just used the keyboard on my on my phone while it was playing too

 

Idk about drop D or not though

It's Eb tunning, just like almost every other GNR song. No drop D.

57 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly I think the only Bucket is the lot little ascending break in between the outro chorus'

Intro and Bridge leads and final outro are probably Robin imo

The outro is both Robin and Bucket. There's two leads, kinda like the ending of TWAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does every song have to be about Slash? Like the break-up was Slash's fault? Axl was the egotistical maniac not Slash or Duff. I suppose Izzy never had issues with the red head either? Every other original member left of their own volition, except Steven.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm potential here but I think this is a bun prematurely pulled from the oven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m only here for the comments about how this DEMO needs a lot of work. Thank you Captain Obvious, I don’t know where I would be in my life without you. 😘

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 31illusions said:

Why does every song have to be about Slash? Like the break-up was Slash's fault? Axl was the egotistical maniac not Slash or Duff. I suppose Izzy never had issues with the red head either? Every other original member left of their own volition, except Steven.

Yep, which is why I think the theory that it could be about Steven holds water. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axlfans said:

hey guys. let's break it down. paul plays the intro? robin does the middle? bucket does the outro? brain does the drums? thanks 

Most probably Josh on drums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

2006 when the 16 second clip leaked is the first we heard of Checkmate AFAIK. The first time it was referred to as Jackie Chan was by Axl during the forum chats in December 2008. 

And here we are in 2019 and we finally hear the full demo. Crazy to think what I was doing then, to where I am at now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can definitely say, listening to this on my stereo at home was the best way to do it. Sounds very cool on a big stereo!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Why does every song have to be about Slash? Like the break-up was Slash's fault? Axl was the egotistical maniac not Slash or Duff. I suppose Izzy never had issues with the red head either? Every other original member left of their own volition, except Steven.

No, not every song has to be about Slash. In my opinion, none of the songs on CD are about Slash (or at least only about him). But I think this one, Hard School, is.

You use an "objective" (or your subjective) point of view to interpret whether the song could be about Slash, but, don't forget, it's Axl's point of view here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Ever since this track was leaked, I’ve been wanting to hear your thoughts on this song vocally. You usually always articulate your comments on Axls voice exactly how I would. 

I've only had a chance to listen a few times and I think they'll grow on me more. I don't mind the clean vocals in the right context but, at the same time, I never ever ever listen to studio This I Love when literally any 2010 version with chainsaw rasp is infinitely superior. Same for Madagascar: why do all the multi-layering of the clean voice in the studio for the high parts when it's so much more powerful live when he shreds it? On Hard School they sound weirdly processed in parts e.g when he sings "every chance was givEEEN "lies forgivEEEn"" it's got that weird auto-tune sounding gimmick that sounds artificial, prissy and weak. Same as large parts of Prostitute: don't get me wrong, I love the clean verses that are really vulnerable and beautiful but the high parts sound like a fucking robot singing and it's a total disconnect for me.. And when the guy can sing like the fucking This I Love remix or Axl/DC or 2010 and do that shit live every night, why fuck about in the studio making it sound artificial and overproduced? Give us that one-take Stuck Inside shit from Angel Down. Now I said it's oveeeerrrrrrrOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. 

 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×