Confirmed new album slash feat mk and the conspirators

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

For crying out loud, how difficult is it for them to give one freaking interview to let the fans know if they can expect a GnR record any time soon or not.

Worst band ever.

axl made that mistake 8 years before chinese democracy was released. i doubt he wants to make it again... thats a lot of dr. pepper lol

at this point i think no news is good news. if there was no new music on the horizon, most people will still buy tickets (bar a few diehards from the forum) so why not just come out and say it?

but if they say yeah were workin on something, they'll be the laughing stock of a whole nation in 2-3 years AGAIN when its not released

Edited by Hollywood Gunner

Guns N' Roses are ran like one of these big commercial brands where you do not do anything needlessly that is surplus to profit maximizing - ''why rock the boat with unpredictable things like interviews and (shouting) something as reckless as new music?''. No, no, if you already have your gigantic revenue stream, you keep that stream flowing in the exact same manner as before? It reminds me a lot of Disney and the Marvel Universe (and now Star Wars), or even Macdonalds who perhaps created the archetype. They all possess that same inflexible rigidity on their products; they all have that same blandness.

They emit the same vibes.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

but if they say yeah were workin on something, they'll be the laughing stock of a whole nation in 2-3 years AGAIN when its not released

I agree with this. They'll announce it when they know 100% it's going to come out. Remember "unforeseen circumstances" already prevented Axl from going to Kimmel and he had to cancel at the last minute. That just proved the point again..things will now be announced when nothing can possibly get in the way.

Also why would they willingly disappoint pretty much their entire fanbase "just so fans know it's not coming". Sorry that's not a good enough argument to do such thing. There is almost no good argument to do something like that. It would also again fire up unneeded negative speculation like "then not everythings well in the band they must not get along that great", "if no new music, why? Is Axl working on an ACDC album?" That latter part seems to be a top secret mission for Axl right now if that's indeed the case. No need to draw attention to it if it infact, doesn't come out good and never materliazes. More negative things etc..

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Also why would they willingly disappoint pretty much their entire fanbase "just so fans know it's not coming". Sorry that's not a good enough argument to do such thing. There is almost no good argument to do something like that. 

I wouldn't be more disappointed than I already am now and I would respect them for at least speaking up. Everything better than this two year radio silence, because they are already disappointing their fanbase anyway. You're turning it into something way too big... I wasn't talking about an official statement or big announcement, just knowing if there will be a new record some day or if this semi-reunion tour is all there is to it, because that is what a lot of their fans would like to know, but only in GnR world this is already too big a question.

Chances are that they have no idea themselves what is going to happen, hence no interviews or information two years into this semi-reunion.

2 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

axl made that mistake 8 years before chinese democracy was released. i doubt he wants to make it again... thats a lot of dr. pepper lol

Wasn't that Dr. Pepper thing about releasing the album that year? I'm not expecting to get a date.

Edited by EvanG

Well we know for a fact Slash & Co. have an album almost ready to go. It's already been announced and they can't wait to go promote it.

But what makes anyone even remotely think there's any GNR material even ready for release? I don't think I've even heard of them heading to the studio at any point.

• Like 2

Here's what Axl said about the second album in 1999, the issue with quotes is that conditions, circumstances and plans can change, so that's an obvious caveat. 

"I wouldn't say it's like, you know, that we recorded a double album, or that we have all of our scraps to be the second one. There is a distinct difference in sound. The second leans probably a little more to aggressive electronica with full guitars, where the first one is definitely more guitar-based."

Axl Rose - A conversation with Kurt Loder
MTV US November 8th 1999

Edited by RazorGunner
Correction

35 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I think at this point, the "take anything possible" category covers about 99.99% of GnR fans. It's been so long since they've released anything that people here would lose their minds over a Scraped remix. It would be hailed as the second coming of Jesus and crash this site immediately. The desperation of GnR fans is legendary. :lol:

Yes, but that would last about two days. Then, at least half of the 99.99% would be like "we've been waiting so long for this?" Especially if it was something like Scraped part 2 :lol:

35 minutes ago, RONIN said:

In addition, such a release would be very embarrassing for him when the world discovers what many fans already suspect: that there just isn't much music in the vault. Probably not much more than an album at best.

Probably so, as far as completed material goes. But, if various sources (Beavan, Youth etc.) are to be believed, there must be a lot more stuff that is incomplete/"almost completed". And likely, in most cases, what's missing is the vocals. I wonder when was the last time Axl recorded any vocals. The last time known was 2006, but didn't he record anything after that?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, default_ said:

Actually this is what makes AC/DC such a great band. They dont need to be one of those extremely boring prog bands, yet they have a memorable career full of hits and the most selling rock album of all time. 
Music dont really need to be complex to be good, a nice exemple? Appetite For Destruction, Lies and 1/3 of the Illusions.

Guns N' Roses is in this extremelly shit situation because Axl tought he was something he wasnt. He tought he was above the others, above AC/DCs "cock rock", above the Stones simplistic approach, above Izzy and above Slash. 
In the end his so intelectual vision was a total flop and now he fronts AC/DC and needed Slash to be back on the radar. 

Fantastic post. I'm not a fan of AC/DC but I agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, but that would last about two days. Then, at least half of the 99.99% would be like "we've been waiting so long for this?" Especially if it was something like Scraped part 2 :lol:

I wish he would do that just to see the reactions here. :lol:

It's a complicated situation - that's why as wagzilla said, it probably made sense for him to just take the AC/DC gig and "kick the can further down the road" w/ GnR. Whatever GnR releases will be under a microscope. If they put out an album that isn't at least on par w/ Illusions, they will be raked over the coals by the media and fans. That's the unfortunate side of being a less prolific band that's following up two back-to-back extremely successful albums. Their track record is so legendary during the classic period that there's no way anything new can live up to the past. It's the same problem Axl faced with CD. 

Probably so, as far as completed material goes. But, if various sources (Beavan, Youth etc.) are to be believed, there must be a lot more stuff that is incomplete/"almost completed". And likely, in most cases, what's missing is the vocals. I wonder when was the last time Axl recorded any vocals. The last time known was 2006, but didn't he record anything after that?

Yeah, this is a fascinating one. I believe the last time he went into the studio to do vocals was in 2010 iirc? 2008 for sure when he was putting the final touches for CD. Didn't Bach sing on other songs besides "Sorry" when he went in to work with Axl?

Axl's problem is that he clearly prefers his 90's vocals (as evidenced by CD) and the last time he sounded great was during 2006-2010. For a perfectionist like Axl, that means he will try to extract the most out of those eras with his unreleased material. My guess is that if we ever see new GnR material, it's coming from songs that had their vocals recorded during the 90's or between 2006-2010. He has to decide now how to work Slash into that small amount of material without uprooting the songs entirely. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

I think at this point, the "take anything possible" category covers about 99.99% of GnR fans. It's been so long since they've released anything that people here would lose their minds over a Scraped remix. It would be hailed as the second coming of Jesus and crash this site immediately. The desperation of GnR fans is legendary. :lol:

Agreed.

But the CD2 situation is a difficult one. If the rumors are to be believed, this album is more "experimental" than the last one. One thing that struck me most about the Chinese Democracy project is how it isn't really a guitar driven album like AFD/UYI. I imagine any follow-up album would be even less so. Having Slash approach those songs would change them entirely. Best thing to do would be to release most of the songs untouched and add Slash/Duff appropriately to the more guitar driven work.

But then you run into another problem. The majority of the fanbase does not want Slash-less GnR music now (they voted with their wallets in 2008). There would be no financial backing for a release like that from the record company. So he'd more than likely have to either release it direct to iTunes  or  put out a boxset which would require some level of effort, fan service, and competence (something that has proven to be impossible for GnR).

I also doubt Axl would want to see his 20 year passion project unceremoniously compiled into a boxset and dumped into the marketplace with little fanfare (the corporate machine would not want to distract from the reunion). The music more than likely would sink without a trace and probably destroy his ego when it again confirms how little interest there is in his "Axl is GnR" era. In addition, such a release would be very embarrassing for him when the world discovers what many fans already suspect: that there just isn't much music in the vault. Probably not much more than an album at best. It would confirm that for the last two decades, Axl Rose was basically retired but pretending to be an active musician by hiring the best cover band money could buy and waltzing into the studio every few months to "work"

All that being said, at this point I have more interest in a boxset release of CD era songs than anything new from this band. Get all that Buckethead/Finck/Freese/Brain material out. "But I don't care about that stuff, what about Axl/Slash material" you say?

If they actually want to get off their ass and work, there's literally hundreds of hours of material from their prime in the 94-96 sessions featuring Axl, Slash, Duff and even Izzy. 94-96 GnR is the holy grail. Whatever they do now with Frank and Fortus is almost guaranteed to be inferior to that vintage material.

I think the best possible option at this point for Axl would be to release a double album; not a special-edition, not a box-set (although that's what I'd like the most), not a stand-alone CD II album, but something where he could put his songs out and still have an albums worth of songs with Slash and Duff. I imagine, if there are plans for another GNR album, that Axl would be haggling with the record company about this - he'd want CD II released, record company wants a NITL album.
The solution? Disc one: 8-10 new songs and/or completely re-done CD-era rockers, with The Seeker and maybe Wichita Lineman. Disc two: Untouched Bucket/Brain/Finck CD II material. Everybody wins.

*steps back to reality*

• GNFNR 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I wonder when was the last time Axl recorded any vocals. The last time known was 2006, but didn't he record anything after that?

I'm sure the vocals on the TIL Remix clip are from 2010, so, he did record some stuff after CD apparently.... and I think Going Down was rumored to originally be from Tommy's One Man Mutiny album, which came out in 2011, but I have no idea how legit that rumor was....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

He ia not and never was a perfectionist, why do people keep saying this? 

I tend to agree mate. 

A perfectionist wouldn't have let himself deliver some of the disasters that are all there for us to see on YouTube in terms of his performance at the very least. 

Hes definitely had room to improve his fitness for those tours, and we don't need to go over the difference in recent performances between AC/DC and guns. 

Thats before I even start on being in the studio, or not being there in axls case 😜

• GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, moreblack said:

Well we know for a fact Slash & Co. have an album almost ready to go. It's already been announced and they can't wait to go promote it.

But what makes anyone even remotely think there's any GNR material even ready for release? I don't think I've even heard of them heading to the studio at any point.

I wonder what will happen when SMKC promote the album and/or do an interview here or there. I mean, people are bound to ask 'After this run, can we expect an album with your other band as well?'. Interesting to see what Slash will have to say about that...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RazorGunner said:

Here's what Axl said about the second album in 1999, the issue with quotes is that conditions, circumstances and plans can change, so that's an obvious caveat. 

"I wouldn't say it's like, you know, that we recorded a double album, or that we have all of our scraps to be the second one. There is a distinct difference in sound. The second leans probably a little more to aggressive electronica with full guitars, where the first one is definitely more guitar-based."

Axl Rose - A conversation with Kurt Loder
MTV US November 8th 1999

Hell, if CDI is more guitar-based who the fuck, as a GNR-fan, wants to hear that?!

Worshipping songs that nobody has ever heard...

Sorry for off topic but I'd prefer no new music from GNR over a CDII release.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

I wonder what will happen when SMKC promote the album and/or do an interview here or there. I mean, people are bound to ask 'After this run, can we expect an album with your other band as well?'. Interesting to see what Slash will have to say about that...

Probably nothing, like the last 2 years. Or if the news by then broke that an ACDC album with Axl is coming, he'll just say depends on what happens with that or that they don't know either.

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

Their track record is so legendary during the classic period that there's no way anything new can live up to the past. It's the same problem Axl faced with CD. 

I totally agree with this. A new album with Duff and Slash, hell, even with Izzy on board, will never live up to the past... the expectations are way too high, no one can live up to that. But does Axl care? Maybe he does, but he always came off like someone who really doesn't care what others think.