Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

24 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I was just replying to the guy who says that they are working on a photography project to accompany the box set and I can't think of better photos of that era than Canter's, that's why I think it's a pity the book wouldnt have been released now with all the hype and support from the band, instead of 2008, when a whole different lineup was contradicting history.

And yeah, I think in this case Axl was right. Not that Im 100% sure he would have approved the project today but there woulda been high chances of picking Canter's photos over anyone else.

I wonder if Robert John maybe approached for photos of that time period. I believe he was an official photographer during the appetite tour, not sure what the relationship is like with him nowdays.

12 hours ago, Stanley said:

Actually, it doesn't. No remaster will sound as good as Barry Diament's original mastering. Not even Steve Hoffman could do it with his MFSL.

It will be more compressed, less dynamic range, etc.

I have an unconventional opinion on this. 

I feel like dynamic range is unnatural in hard rock music and was only caused by the original recording process anyway. 

If you were in a room with GNR playing their parts live there wouldn't be dynamic range - everything would just be loud as hell.

I understand why people want less compression on classical music and things that natural have loud and quiet points in the instrumentation...but I feel that stuff like Jungle should sound on the record like it would in person - balls to the wall loud.

• Like 1

GNR is the type of band to release millions of those deluxe boxes with 5 'lifetime tickets to a GNR show' randomly spread around the boxes, make their fans throw their money away on a reissue of a 30-year-old album and then Slash goes to SMKC and Axl goes to ACDC and GNR stops existing all together....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeez said:

Just curious, but if they were to release something related to AFD, wouldn't Izzy and Adler have to sign off on it too?

Izzy and Steven get royalties, but have no say on how the back catalogue is used. Regardless, it would be nice if they were told and their opinion was asked.

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

a few questions

- Is Universal UMG known for doing great boxsets with lots of uncirculated material? Or are they known for doing shitty boxes sets with shitty/little/previously circulated bonus material?

They did this with Nirvana's Nevermind:

In September 2011, in honor of the album's 20th anniversary, Universal Music Enterprises released a 2-CD Deluxe Edition and a 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition of Nevermind.[60] The first disc on both editions features the original album with studio and live b-sides. The second disc on both editions features early recordings of sessions that featured songs that would later appear on the album, including the Smart Studio sessions and some band rehearsals recorded with a boombox. The second disc is rounded out by two BBC session recordings. The third disc, exclusive to the Super Deluxe Edition, features alternate mixes made by Butch Vig, dubbed the 'Devonshire Mixes', of all the songs on the album except "Polly" and "Endless, Nameless". The fourth and fifth discs on the Super Deluxe Editions are CD and DVD versions of Live at the Paramount.

(Universal and Courtney have milked Nirvana as much as it gets :lol:)

Edited by Blackstar

I understand that many people here would prefer something else over an AFD reissue.

But if it's not just a lame remaster with a few pics and it has some real goodies/bonuses/extras, it won't be so bad.

Actually GnR have been late in doing this. Almost every other band has done it.

And since they're not some anti-capitalist band (lol), I don't see anything so wrong in them making some pennies from a proper release of the bootlegged stuff that has been floating around. They've done worse, like not releasing anything. And, who knows, maybe there is some stuff that hasn't leaked.

It's just up to the fans if they want to spend money on buying it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

new merch?

edit:

Looking at this 'Roar' brands facebook page, they're using the #AppetiteForDestruction branding and they seem to like a pop-up shop, which ties in with the Camden location of the posters. I hope the outcome of this isn't just some clothing collaboration >> https://www.facebook.com/roarguns.jp/

Edited by sparka

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Izzy and Steven get royalties, but have no say on how the back catalogue is used. Regardless, it would be nice if they were told and their opinion was asked.

They did this with Nirvana's Nevermind:

In September 2011, in honor of the album's 20th anniversary, Universal Music Enterprises released a 2-CD Deluxe Edition and a 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition of Nevermind.[60] The first disc on both editions features the original album with studio and live b-sides. The second disc on both editions features early recordings of sessions that featured songs that would later appear on the album, including the Smart Studio sessions and some band rehearsals recorded with a boombox. The second disc is rounded out by two BBC session recordings. The third disc, exclusive to the Super Deluxe Edition, features alternate mixes made by Butch Vig, dubbed the 'Devonshire Mixes', of all the songs on the album except "Polly" and "Endless, Nameless". The fourth and fifth discs on the Super Deluxe Editions are CD and DVD versions of Live at the Paramount.

(Universal and Courtney have milked Nirvana as much as it gets :lol:)

hey thanks for that info!

i am not familiar with Nirvana

Can you tell if the bonus material was uncirculated at the time of this box release or if it was songs that were already in the hands of the collectors?

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I was just replying to the guy who says that they are working on a photography project to accompany the box set and I can't think of better photos of that era than Canter's, that's why I think it's a pity the book wouldnt have been released now with all the hype and support from the band, instead of 2008, when a whole different lineup was contradicting history.

And yeah, I think in this case Axl was right. Not that Im 100% sure he would have approved the project today but there woulda been high chances of picking Canter's photos over anyone else.

i think axl has as much say as when canter should release his photos as canter would have a say on when axl should release his music

3 hours ago, Ant said:

Does anyone know if You Could Be Mine was actually recorded during those sessions when they originally wrote it? That'd be cool. 

yes it was written during appetite sessions, there must be some sort of recording of an early version of it

3 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Whatever it is, it’s obviously further confirming that this band are all about playing on the nostalgia factor and lining their pockets for retirement. Who could blame them really? More money to be made that way that actually putting in some real effort and making a new fucking album 

Who could blame them (if that's what they were doing) you ask? How about me?

They built their reps on being genuine and idealistically driven to create a legacy beyond the whored out trappings of their 80's contemporaries. If they're just packing it in now and choosing to become the very thing they use to detest back in the day, then I can and WILL blame each and everyone of them and do so justifiably.

33 minutes ago, sparka said:

new merch?

edit:

Looking at this 'Roar' brands facebook page, they're using the #AppetiteForDestruction branding and they seem to like a pop-up shop, which ties in with the Camden location of the posters. I hope the outcome of this isn't just some clothing collaboration >> https://www.facebook.com/roarguns.jp/

I'm certain the merch is all in addition and as a tie in with the reissue. 

• Like 1

Metallica released this without billboards. Just post on their blog

The limited edition deluxe box set includes unreleased demos, rough mixes, interviews and live tracks, many of which have never even been available in the collector or bootleg community and were pulled from our personal collections. There’s also a 108-page hardcover book with rare and never before seen photos and essays from those who were there with us for the wild ride. All in all, there are three LPs, ten CDs, a cassette, two DVDs, a lithograph with art by Pushead, a folder with handwritten lyrics, and if that isn’t enough to push you over the edge, we’ve also thrown in a set of six buttons (!).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

hey thanks for that info!

i am not familiar with Nirvana

Can you tell if the bonus material was uncirculated at the time of this box release or if it was songs that were already in the hands of the collectors?

I think most of it was in bootlegs.

That Appetite For Destruction is one of the greatest rock albums of all time goes without saying, and it's one of my favorite albums ever personally, but this reissue package will have to be pretty goddamn spectacular indeed to make me want to buy it. Because..well because I've had Appetite for Destruction for 30 years and I can't really get exited about that music. 

And as far as extras go,  I am not really what you'd call a bootleg collector, but again...it's been 30 years. Pretty much everything has been heard by pretty much anyone who's interested...I think. I guess we'll see but it better be pretty damn special or they can forget it.

And a special merch line to go with a remaster? Who does that?   Along with the billboards it seems like a pretty big production over a re-release. So maybe there's more but I doubt it. 

59 minutes ago, sparka said:

new merch?

edit:

Told yas it would be New merch! 

For comparison....this is what whitesnake did with their release of their self-titled "1987" album for the 30th Anniversary last year....

WHITESNAKE “1987”: SUPER DELUXE EDITION (Oct 27)

4CD/DVD Track Listing

Disc One: Original Album 2017 Remaster

“Still Of The Night”

“Give Me All Your Love”

“Bad Boys”

“Is This Love”

“Here I Go Again 87”

“Straight For The Heart”

“Looking For Love”

“Children Of The Night”

“You’re Gonna Break My Heart Again”

“Crying In The Rain”

“Don’t Turn Away”

Disc Two: Snakeskin Boots [Live On Tour 1987-88] 

“Bad Boys/Children Of The Night” *

“Slide It In” *

“Slow An’ Easy” *

“Here I Go Again” *

“Guilty Of Love” *

“Is This Love” *

“Love Ain’t No Stranger” *

Guitar Solo – Adrian and Vivian *

“Crying In The Rain” *

“Still Of The Night” *  (available to steam on iTunes with pre-order)

“Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City” *

“Give Me All Your Love” *

Disc Three: 87 Evolutions [Demos and Rehearsals] 

“Still Of The Night” *

“Give Me All Your Love” *

“Bad Boys” *

“Is This Love” *   (available to steam on iTunes with pre-order)

“Straight For the Heart” *

“Looking For Love” *

“Children Of The Night” *

“You’re Gonna Break My Heart Again” *

“Crying In The Rain” *

“Don’t Turn Away” *

“Crying In The Rain” (Lil’ Mountain Alternate Take Ruff Mix) *

Disc Four: 87 Versions [2017 Remixes]

“Still Of The Night” – Remix *

“Is This Love” – Remix *

“Give Me All Your Love” – Remix *

“Here I Go Again 87” – Remix *

“Standing In The Shadows” – 1987 Versions, Japanese Mini-Album

“Looking For Love” – 1987 Versions, Japanese Mini-Album

“You’re Gonna Break My Heart Again” – 1987 Versions, Japanese Mini-Album

“Need Your Love So Bad” – 1987 Versions, Japanese Mini-Album

“Here I Go Again” – Radio Mix

“Give Me All Your Love” – Single Version

DVD

“Still Of The Night” – Music Video, Restored and Remixed in 5.1

“Here I Go Again 87” – Music Video, Restored and Remixed in 5.1

“Is This Love” – Music Video, Restored and Remixed in 5.1

“Give Me All Your Love” – Music Video, Restored and Remixed in 5.1

Documentary about the making of 1987 Album *

“Here I Go Again” – Purplesnake Video Jam *

“Crying In The Rain” – 1987 Tour Video Bootleg *

Band Intros – 1987 Tour Video Bootleg *

“Still Of The Night” – 1987 Tour Video Bootleg *

Edited by Chunder Monkey
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nintari said:

Who could blame them (if that's what they were doing) you ask? How about me?

They built their reps on being genuine and idealistically driven to create a legacy beyond the whored out trappings of their 80's contemporaries. If they're just packing it in now and choosing to become the very thing they use to detest back in the day, then I can and WILL blame each and everyone of them and do so justifiably.

Of course it’s what they’re doing, it’s becoming more obvious as time goes by.

not sure about creating a legacy as  slash and duff both quit so they mustn’t have cared too much.

i think these days they are business men first musicians second unfortunately.

• Like 1