Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection of available info (?)

35 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Also worth noting that Rick says Tommy told him he wants to get Ten Percenter and Going Down back from GNR to release them as solo songs in the future

I'm all for that as it looks like it won't be on a Guns release any time soon - which is a shame, as it is deserving to be included on a GNR album. Great song and both versions we have are tremendous. Would love to hear a proper mixed and mastered version of the 2013 leak though as Axl sounds incredible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

I'm all for that as it looks like it won't be on a Guns release any time soon - which is a shame, as it is deserving to be included on a GNR album. Great song and both versions we have are tremendous. Would love to hear a proper mixed and mastered version of the 2013 leak though as Axl sounds incredible.

Yup - although the 2013 version is more than listenable if nothing else ever happens.

42 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Also worth noting that Rick says Tommy told him he wants to get Ten Percenter and Going Down back from GNR to release them as solo songs in the future

It’s seems to be accepted that Axl and Tommy were/are on good terms so will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Those songs would have been perfect for the Village Gorilla Head album back in 2004.

12 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

I admit this is not the most reliable source at all, might be still pulled from one's behind. but I decided to trust this for now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pele said:

I know you have the banner.

It’s yours as soon as @donny confirms it’s ok for you to have it (he had first dibs on it for the museum he had in his outhouse for Sixx A.M. - he had an old portaloo next to it converted as a shrine to 2009/14 era Guns N’ Roses, hence his need for this banner).

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, youngswedishvinyl said:

To me, there are obvious similarities between this early 1987 live recording of SOYL and the studio release we got in 2018. For example the Slash's lead run during the intro (0:41 on the studio version and not present on any other known version of the song before the Clink session) is clearly audible through the somewhat rough audience recording of the Marquee show. Adlers drumming on this live version is also a lot more similar to the drums on the Clink recording then they are to the earlier Sound City recordings for example. 

As for Adler saying he did not play on this version. I think has to do with him misremembering/not being aware that they recorded SOYL several times. It's not impossible to think that he compared the 2018 single with his playing on the version released as a B-side to the It's So Easy single and heard that they where not the same. A lot of time has passed and a lot of drugs have been consumed between November 1986 and 2018 so for him to not remember that session would not surprise me, and nobody can blame him for that either. Memory is sadly not as good of a source as we would like it to be.

I also think we can rule out Frank re-recording the drums for the 2018 SOYL single. A quick listen to a recent live version of SOYL with Frank compared to the studio version makes that obvious, especially when the Marquee version with Adler on drums is similar to the Clink recording.

So all in all, I have come to the conclusion that the the studio version of SOYL that got released in 2018 is, as advertised, a studio outtake with the AFD 5. It has been re-mixed in 2018 but I'm of the opinion, based on the sources we have from the time, that no re-recording has been done since 1986.

I will respectfully disagree. I know Adler's drums like the back of my hand. Could it be him? Possibly? If his drums were pro-tooled to death. Axl has said in the past, he dislikes the old drum sound and thought it sounded dated. So why wouldn't he want it updated. I think It's debatable.

What about Slash's little licks before the verses? Do you have an example of him playing these licks prior? I don't. Thus it must be an addition to make it presentable for radio. That's my conclusion.

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

I will respectfully disagree. I know Adler's drums like the back of my hand. Could it be him? Possibly? If his drums were pro-tooled to death. Axl has said in the past, he dislikes the old drum sound and thought it sounded dated. So why wouldn't he want it updated. I think It's debatable.

What about Slash's little licks before the verses? Do you have an example of him playing these licks prior? I don't. Thus it must be an addition to make it presentable for radio. That's my conclusion.

I showed in my earlier post that the very lick you’re talking about was played live on the 22nd of June 1987.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, youngswedishvinyl said:

Sorry to bump a slightly inactive thread but I didn't know where to else put this.

I went down a rabbit hole this morning regarding the rumored re-recording of SOYL by the NITL lineup. From what I understand the main reasons that this seems to be a theory is that it differs quite a bit instrumentally (more lead guitar work, different sounding drums and so on) than the earlier studio versions of the song and if I don't remember incorrectly Adler also said that it wasn't a version he played on.

To get to the bottom with this I decided to check out live versions of SOYL that's from after the session with Mike Clink on the 23rd of November 1986. That being the date that the band supposedly recorded the version SOYL that got released with the AFD SDE. As far as we are aware SOYL was only played live twice by the AFD line up after this session with Clink, on the 21st of December 1986 at the Fender Ballroom and on the 22nd of June 1987 at the Marquee club. There is, sadly, no circulated recording of the show at the Fender Ballroom but there is however a rough audience recording of the Marquee show. This was then naturally the version of the song I decided to dive deeper into.

To me, there are obvious similarities between this early 1987 live recording of SOYL and the studio release we got in 2018. For example the Slash's lead run during the intro (0:41 on the studio version and not present on any other known version of the song before the Clink session) is clearly audible through the somewhat rough audience recording of the Marquee show. Adlers drumming on this live version is also a lot more similar to the drums on the Clink recording then they are to the earlier Sound City recordings for example. 

As for Adler saying he did not play on this version. I think has to do with him misremembering/not being aware that they recorded SOYL several times. It's not impossible to think that he compared the 2018 single with his playing on the version released as a B-side to the It's So Easy single and heard that they where not the same. A lot of time has passed and a lot of drugs have been consumed between November 1986 and 2018 so for him to not remember that session would not surprise me, and nobody can blame him for that either. Memory is sadly not as good of a source as we would like it to be.

I also think we can rule out Frank re-recording the drums for the 2018 SOYL single. A quick listen to a recent live version of SOYL with Frank compared to the studio version makes that obvious, especially when the Marquee version with Adler on drums is similar to the Clink recording.

So all in all, I have come to the conclusion that the the studio version of SOYL that got released in 2018 is, as advertised, a studio outtake with the AFD 5. It has been re-mixed in 2018 but I'm of the opinion, based on the sources we have from the time, that no re-recording has been done since 1986.

I think Slash rerecorded the guitars not only because of what he plays, but based on how it sounds. His tone and style didn't feel like what he was doing back in those days to me. I'm not talking about the riff or even any note in particular, but how it feels. 

I'm not sure about the drums. It could very well be a drum track reassembled with the snare sample of some of Steven recording with isolated reverb and different mix, which is something that people like Andy Wallace likes to do. That's why Steven didn't recognize his drumming - because it was different, but technically, it was him indeed. 

My conclusion is that there is stuff recorded from 1986, but overdubbed with either new layers or just samples for a more modern sound. Which is kinda odd, because when you listen to the AFD remastered and then this song, it totally sounds out of place sonically. And way louder and compressed, because that's what people like these days.

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

My conclusion is that there is stuff recorded from 1986, but overdubbed with either new layers or just samples for a more modern sound. Which is kinda odd, because when you listen to the AFD remastered and then this song, it totally sounds out of place sonically. And way louder and compressed, because that's what people like these days.

I see your pov, however I think the sound difference has more to do with SOYL actually being re-mixed in 2018 while the rest of the album is simply remastered. 
That makes SOYL sound more modern than it actually is. I would say that’s probably why SOYL has the radio/commercial compression that we’re used to these days.

At the end of the day we also have to consider that this is GNR, they have a reputation for doing the bare minimum. It makes no sense for them to re-record parts of a song that are identical to what where already in the original recording. It would however make sense for them to let someone re-mix the track in a more commercial way.

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

5 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

It makes no sense for them to re-record parts of a song that are identical to what where already in the original recording. It would however make sense for them to let someone re-mix the track in a more commercial way.

Fair enough, but if it was like that I think Frank would have simply confirmed "no rerecording" when directly asked in an interview. Instead, he just stuttered and mumbled, which is quite revealing in a way. That's possibly the biggest indication that some overdubs might have been recorded.

50 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Fair enough, but if it was like that I think Frank would have simply confirmed "no rerecording" when directly asked in an interview. Instead, he just stuttered and mumbled, which is quite revealing in a way. That's possibly the biggest indication that some overi dubs might have been recorded.

I always wondered if they kept Dizzy Reeds and Chris Pitmans parts on HS / Absurd. 

Edited by Sosso

11 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I see your pov, however I think the sound difference has more to do with SOYL actually being re-mixed in 2018 while the rest of the album is simply remastered. 
That makes SOYL sound more modern than it actually is. I would say that’s probably why SOYL has the radio/commercial compression that we’re used to these days.

At the end of the day we also have to consider that this is GNR, they have a reputation for doing the bare minimum. It makes no sense for them to re-record parts of a song that are identical to what where already in the original recording. It would however make sense for them to let someone re-mix the track in a more commercial way.

I understand, but like I said, it's not just about the sound quality and/or mix. 

The reason for an overdub or just rerecording is simple: they weren't satisfied with the original. Either the sound quality or the performance. I get what you say about them being lazy, but that's just Axl, really. Everyone else would be more than glad to rerecord something just because it would be easy to tweak it. Added bonus is the convenience of recording everything in home studios and then bounce it back on an email to whoever needs it to mix the song. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Pitman is on Absurd, if you compare the 2006 version with the finished mix he's in there. Probably some sub bass on Hard Skool. Melissa isn't in these tracks. 

I guess we can't be sure until we get an album and see the credits. Axl and Chris had a pretty big falling out. He'll get a co songwriting credit for Absurd. I wouldn't imagine that Axl let alone Duff n Slash would want his parts on any new album. Besides it wouldn't be difficult for Dizzy, Melissa or someone to replicate his parts.