The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think there is a song in the leaks that will please everyone. SOG to me sounds like the later half of UYI II (the garden) mixed with some newer (at the time) influences. With a fresh coat of paint and a more commanding vocal performance I think it won't be reviled like Absurd and it won't be as bleh as Hardskool and forgotten about. Lots of factors there to get right but I think it could be a popular song among the fans...100% not touching the pop charts but might get some play on rock radio.

There's a lot of changes Slash could do to make it sound more in line with his style, but considering it would be more straight-forward guitars and probably sterile drums and mix, I can see people reacting to this a lot like they did with Hard Skool. Plus it needs both a guitar solo and a bridge, so those could change the whole vibe the song was originally looking for.

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

There's a lot of changes Slash could do to make it sound more in line with his style, but considering it would be more straight-forward guitars and probably sterile drums and mix, I can see people reacting to this a lot like they did with Hard Skool. Plus it needs both a guitar solo and a bridge, so those could change the whole vibe the song was originally looking for.

This is why I like the idea of SOG as a single. There’s very minimal guitars in the demo, meaning there’s huge potential for Slash to elevate what’s already going on musically.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

In no way is Robin Finck superior to Slash.

Slash is more iconic, but I believe Robin to be a superior player, from a technical standpoint. The Village material gave me a greater appreciation for Robin's skills than I previously had.

At the very least, Slash should at least attempt Robin's solos live.

In the UK - searched both State of Grace and Atlas Shrugged on Spotify and nothing came up for me in the general search (just a lot of audio books and Billy Joel). However, when filtering to 'Artist', GNR came up in respect of both tracks. I also tried searching for Perhaps and there was no GNR reference, 'Artist' search or otherwise. 

I guess time will tell... 

• GNFNR 2

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Not only has the release date not been announced, but there's been ZERO talk of it from the band ...

Yeah, as if there was any talk from the band about the AFD box set before release and as if the band announce anything regarding releases.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, as if there was any talk from the band about the AFD box set before release and as if the band announce anything regarding releases.

The band didn't acknowledge Hard Skool or Absurd until it basically was just outright released. If something is coming, which is a big "if", to be fair, we aren't going to know it until it pretty much happens. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He only played on 2 tracks, so more like a guest appearance. Great record though.

It really is a great album. Jeff Beck and Tony Iommi really shine as does Chad Smith who plays the entire record. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

It really is a great album. Jeff Beck and Tony Iommi really shine as does Chad Smith who plays the entire record. 

Taylor Hawkins plays on one song, but besides that I agree with everything you said. Surprised how well it holds up. Few filler moments but overall very strong, and Zakk played his first nice solo in at least 10yrs

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

19 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Taylor Hawkins plays on one song, but besides that I agree with everything you said. Surprised how well it holds up. Few filler moments but overall very strong, and Zakk played his first nice solo in at least 10yrs

Taylor plays on 2 songs (Parasite and God Only Knows).

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

At the very least, Slash should at least attempt Robin's solos live

Why?  To appease the (generously assumed) 500-1,000 people that prefer Fink's playing out of a crowd of 40,000+??

Look; FInk did some nice work on the stuff we've heard, but to ask a legitimate top 30 rock guitar player of all time to copy the work of a guitarist that 95% of the people in that same crowd can't even name is ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bluefish18 said:

Why?  To appease the (generously assumed) 500-1,000 people that prefer Fink's playing out of a crowd of 40,000+??

Look; FInk did some nice work on the stuff we've heard, but to ask a legitimate top 30 rock guitar player of all time to copy the work of a guitarist that 95% of the people in that same crowd can't even name is ridiculous.

I don't necessarily want Slash to copy the CD solos, but it would be nice if he would write something new in his classic style. Most people would expect Slash to come up with something bluesy for SOD, instead of noodling wankery.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see what happens with SOG because unless Axl finished the vocals at a later time in that era, his eagerness to keep 30 year old vocal tracks will be in direct conflict with the fact this is clearly an unfinished scratch take

• Like 1