The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

If GnR made a new album that had completely new songs (so not leftovers), what topics of songs would you like to hear, or do you think would be there?

I'd like to hear a song about Axl's cats, or Slash's reptiles.

Also this 2001 interview with Beta: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4758-2001-01-22-bolsa-de-mulher-interview-with-beta-lebeis

BM - Has he written any songs for you?

BL - I don't know, I don't think so (laughs). He says that one of the new songs is about me and my family.

Somewhere, deep in Axl's vaults or wherever he stores his art, there is an unreleased, unleaked, Team Brazil song (even if it's just lyrics).  :O

20 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Per an article In Rolling Stone, 70% full. That’s not half full. And I remember a large and excited crowd. Who cares if nosebleed seats didn’t sell?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-roar-back-at-monster-n-j-show-173359/

I found the article. It seems the review was for the November 17th show since the article was published on November 18. I seriously question where the author got this number from. There's no source for that number. The show was definitely NOT 70% full. I was there and saw it for my own eyes as to how many empty seats there were. The author of the article would not have been able to attain that number and verify it that quickly. I work for a news organization.  Lastly, I'm not talking about nosebleed seats either.

Edited by Draguns

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

If GnR made a new album that had completely new songs (so not leftovers), what topics of songs would you like to hear, or do you think would be there?

I'd like to hear a song about Axl's cats, or Slash's reptiles.

Also this 2001 interview with Beta: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4758-2001-01-22-bolsa-de-mulher-interview-with-beta-lebeis

Somewhere, deep in Axl's vaults or wherever he stores his art, there is an unreleased, unleaked, Team Brazil song (even if it's just lyrics).  :O

Beta, oh god, Team Brazil, oh jesus, why does my life have to include knowledge of those people. Look, I get it, they're like his family, good for him. For real, good for him, good for them. All the best. Warmest wishes. Sincere salutations. But why on earth would you make them your managers? What qualifications do they bring to the table? Remember when Fernando was acting like a dick on reddit? I remember. What a class act that guy.

Edited by Sonic Reducer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, you only have to take a listen to Ozzy's last album to see proof of this. Maybe 2/3 good tracks tops, but the lineup consists of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Tony Iommi, Duff, Zakk Wylde, Josh Homme, Taylor Hawkins, Chad Smith... the list goes on. 

I actually quite like the new Ozzy album.

But I understand the point you are making.

Personally though I’d be perfectly happy with a 2-star or 3-star album every two or three years, interspersed with the occasional 4-star album. There is a quality:quantity ratio that GnR haven’t got right yet.

Is there a world where is so scarred/defeated from how everything went down with Chinese Democracy and the new band that he just does not want to go through that shit again?

I also have to think they're worried about the band's relationship going south again once creative differences start popping up.

48 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Is there a world where is so scarred/defeated from how everything went down with Chinese Democracy and the new band that he just does not want to go through that shit again?

I also have to think they're worried about the band's relationship going south again once creative differences start popping up.

That shit it was in the past. I mean the guys are older and have this machine making cash.... its not about egos anymore.

The managment was right calling Duff n Slash back.... better than never. And they know how this reunion was a good choice.

Now again... this can be forever, they cannot continue with this NITL Tour with the same shit. We want moore. New graphics, pyro, new drummer, etc. And comeback again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

That shit it was in the past. I mean the guys are older and have this machine making cash.... its not about egos anymore.

The managment was right calling Duff n Slash back.... better than never. And they know how this reunion was a good choice.

Now again... this can be forever, they cannot continue with this NITL Tour with the same shit. We want moore. New graphics, pyro, new drummer, etc. And comeback again.

Thunderfucker is here to stay, man!

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

Management didn't call Slash and Duff back, that was ALL Axl. They were too afraid for the their positions to have put such a thing in place.

You're giving them far, far too much credit. They move when Axl says to move, and it's that way to this day.

As for Frank, unless he kills Axls cat, he's not going anywhere! Also, while I agree he largely blows on the NITL - present day shows... a lot of that is down to the two bosses who told him to change how he had been playing the songs for 8yrs prior to their return. If we should be asking for anything it's for Frank to go back to playing how he did 2006-2014

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-roar-back-at-monster-n-j-show-173359/

I found the article. It seems the review was for the November 17th show since the article was published on November 18. I seriously question where the author got this number from. There's no source for that number. The show was definitely NOT 70% full. I was there and saw it for my own eyes as to how many empty seats there were. The author of the article would not have been able to attain that number and verify it that quickly. I work for a news organization.  Lastly, I'm not talking about nosebleed seats either.

I was there too, place looked pretty full to me. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Management didn't call Slash and Duff back, that was ALL Axl. They were too afraid for the their positions to have put such a thing in place.

You're giving them far, far too much credit. They move when Axl says to move, and it's that way to this day.

As for Frank, unless he kills Axls cat, he's not going anywhere! Also, while I agree he largely blows on the NITL - present day shows... a lot of that is down to the two bosses who told him to change how he had been playing the songs for 8yrs prior to their return. If we should be asking for anything it's for Frank to go back to playing how he did 2006-2014

.... its wasn not. They told Axl to call Slash. I cant remember the interview when he told that. It was something like "you have to call Slash to comeback to gnr".  

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not aware of any interviews where Axl said that.

He said the opposite, that he told Fernando to find Slash's number for him, and both Fernando and Beta were caught by surprise (Beta thought it was a joke).

Shit... yeah. That was the story. My bad. 

• Like 3

It's pretty much impossible to know what this thread is about anymore given it's grown into a million different conversations. I imagine no one cares but given the thread is about a "new" album, I'll share my thoughts:

GN'R don't need a new album nor should they release one. For me, 75% of the mystique of Guns N' Roses (in any of your preferred line ups) is the unfulfilled potential. Wondering how great it could've been, in my opinion, is the wonder that will far surpass any meek record the band release in their 60's with overproduced, generic Slash music with Axl buried in the mix. They'd literally have to release the record Axl refused to record in the mid 90's. He's still right about that now!

Suffice it to say, there was a time for this to be capitalized on but that was 6 years ago when they had everyone's attention. Now I'm happy to see them live when I can knowing that no one will ever know how great they could've truly been. And by the way, I realize how sad a statement that is but its an occupational hazard of being a fan, right?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

It's pretty much impossible to know what this thread is about anymore given it's grown into a million different conversations. I imagine no one cares but given the thread is about a "new" album, I'll share my thoughts:

GN'R don't need a new album nor should they release one. For me, 75% of the mystique of Guns N' Roses (in any of your preferred line ups) is the unfulfilled potential. Wondering how great it could've been, in my opinion, is the wonder that will far surpass any meek record the band release in their 60's with overproduced, generic Slash music with Axl buried in the mix. They'd literally have to release the record Axl refused to record in the mid 90's. He's still right about that now!

Suffice it to say, there was a time for this to be capitalized on but that was 6 years ago when they had everyone's attention. Now I'm happy to see them live when I can knowing that no one will ever know how great they could've truly been. And by the way, I realize how sad a statement that is but its an occupational hazard of being a fan, right?

an album that contains new material is still possible. It's an old genre, so they don't have to release relevant music. I prefer to have more unreleased material to listen to from Gn'R than to wonder about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I think for me, I know Slash has some cool riffs in the chamber ready to go, and Axl can probably deliver some decent vocals in the studio when he can take breaks and concentrate on one song for as long as he needs (just like how he selectively does the rasp in concert like the WTTJ intro before the song starts)

I would much rather have the chance to hear some potentially cool musical moments, as opposed to not hearing anything just because the lightning-in-a-bottle moment of their prime can't be recreated or repeated, y'know?

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

2/3 new albums will no doubt contain 2/3 songs on each that everyone likes and then a few more that split opinion. That is why it is worth releasing new music. Springsteen released the fuse in 2002. fantastic. The new chills song 'Eddie' is brilliant and as close to their peak as theyve been in 16 years. 'Come on to me' By Paul McCartney, 5 years ago aged 75 he releases a banger like that? very few bands release the perfect album. so just give us as much music as you can whilst you can, there will be plenty for people to enjoy. So can't buy into this, releasing new music will tarnish legacy etc or keep the mystique of what could have been. they'll never be what they could have and they're already a legacy act, so give us music.

• Like 1

To be fair, I’d just be happy if they put singles out of the big guns from the Chinese era with S & D overdubs. If they’re not down for writing new stuff that’s the band’s prerogative. Would be happy to see a few more shows in the UK too before they call it quits. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If the band were to dissolve, I wonder if CD2 would ever see the light of day. 

I think CD2 and any acknowledgement of that 98-14 era of the band will only happen when the band and Axl's camp are comfortable. Right now it seems like the way they mostly want to play it is to not even mention it. Even when Slash and Duff talks about the leftover songs it's "some stuff Axl wrote along the way" instead of "music that was written during the CD years with that lineup".

4 minutes ago, Axl S said:

I think CD2 and any acknowledgement of that 98-14 era of the band will only happen when the band and Axl's camp are comfortable. Right now it seems like the way they mostly want to play it is to not even mention it. Even when Slash and Duff talks about the leftover songs it's "some stuff Axl wrote along the way" instead of "music that was written during the CD years with that lineup".

I've noticed that too. Their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge it. Almost like what Disney did with the prequels with Star Wars, which was eventually reversed. I don't even think CD is in print anymore. I wonder if it will get a re-release after a remix with the current lineup or something like that. (Not trying to give them ideas)

If CD era redid AFD imagine if Axl convinced this lineup to rerecord CD. Im not suggesting it's going to happen of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rerecorded Better with Slash, Duff and Reece on though. That song always seemed like it was given to new people coming in as a sort of homework track. There's a DJ version a Ron version and that's not counting Better gone. Then when the NITLT era starts surprise surprise the whole intro has been reworked to largely include another new member at the time in melissa.