Jump to content

Matt Sorum's Autobiography


Recommended Posts

It’s all bullshit. Priorities change in life. It hurts to be in the negative of such a shift, but Matt was considered a douche by most of those guys. He should have respected Duffs choice. He should have offered support and love. Instead, you get a half baked story about how Frank sucks or whatever. Duff isn’t a negative person and he wouldn’t talk poorly of Frank or Izzy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I never figured out the spoiler thing (typing this on a phone) so proceed with caution. Here goes on NITL: - Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampire

One strange thing is how Sorum was such a Casanova? He claims to have been touched-up by Stephanie Seymour. He claims Liz Taylor was wanting to shag him. He claims Naomi Campbell molested him. He appa

Let us stop being fanboys and think about a few facts on the NITL tour. Steven made a few appearances but these were not promoted or advertised beforehand. It sounds like he could have had more i

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It’s all bullshit. Priorities change in life. It hurts to be in the negative of such a shift, but Matt was considered a douche by most of those guys. He should have respected Duffs choice. He should have offered support and love. Instead, you get a half baked story about how Frank sucks or whatever. Duff isn’t a negative person and he wouldn’t talk poorly of Frank or Izzy. 

... and here we go: Some people on this forum do always know better what happened than the people involved. Remarkable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No one here knows anything better, but if you go back in the thread, and read some of the excerpts from the book, you can quickly get the impression that Matt's POV seems to be a bit self-pitying, when it comes to some stories involved recent and former GnR members. So there might be the impression that not everything said in the book, are facts that been considered very objectively by him. 

Anyway, too bad the book won't be published.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Well, to be fair, your making assumptions as well. And you were not there so...

Matt was so...

7 hours ago, History2010 said:

someone needs to distribute around the leaked version since it looks like this won't be coming out anymore. I really want to read it.

This.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems pointless if the e-version is out there and advanced copies are in circulation too?

Id deffo look at the e-copy if I found it but would buy it if it was released.

Who is the dude above anyway - maybe it’s not legit - Matt was only on AFD recently talking about it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

... and here we go: Some people on this forum do always know better what happened than the people involved. Remarkable. 

Same as some people are always very eager to assume the worst about the big 3 while never believing anything the big 3 say:shrugs:

Years ago it was already said that Matt wouldn't be a part of the reunion because he was a pain in the ass in the VR days. From what I hear now, he comes across as being very bitter and people who have read the book say he doesn't even sound like a likable person in it and he always blames other people for whatever didn't go his way.

 

I do wonder what's behind all this. The constant postponing, the one day you could order the Kindle version, and now it's supposed to be shelved. Seems a bit suspicious. What's been going on behind the scenes?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Who is the dude above anyway - maybe it’s not legit - Matt was only on AFD recently talking about it!

20200605_101952.thumb.jpg.b4d0c1ae269aeeb1013eedb9b6b12195.jpg

whether he is a reliable source at all remains to be seen, but since Matt is pretty active on social media, we're might get a statement from him, soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt's book initially sounded very promising, but as more and more time has passed it's began to look more and more likely that we'll end up either with no book or a completely watered-down version that does't reveal anything we don't already know.

If the band is behind this, they sure know how to take away anything we might enjoy. This was the only GNR-related thing I was semi looking forward to.

3 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

In what grounds? Matt wasn't under nda or contract....if he is telling the truth a lawsuit is not a problem...and even if is not telling the true, the band has not way to sue because is a case of he said, he said. Maybe is a covid related situation, because what I read that was posted here, is mild at best.

Maybe they just paid off the publisher not to release it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think more points of view need to be applied here. On the one hand, he may be whiny or generally a pain in the butt. On the other hand, would he completely make up the Duff dissing Frank/Izzy thing and then risk facing consequences, even if it was just in the form of personal messages between the musicians or - worse - social media lashing? I mean, assertions of this kind may have quite an impact, it would stir a lot of shit, wouldn't it. So the question is, would he just make this up? And secondly, how legitimate is the e-version? The only thing we know now is that we may never know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, EricA said:

20200605_101952.thumb.jpg.b4d0c1ae269aeeb1013eedb9b6b12195.jpg

whether he is a reliable source at all remains to be seen, but since Matt is pretty active on social media, we're might get a statement from him, soon.

Cheers - yeah, I’d imagine Matt will say something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricA said:

No one here knows anything better, but if you go back in the thread, and read some of the excerpts from the book, you can quickly get the impression that Matt's POV seems to be a bit self-pitying, when it comes to some stories involved recent and former GnR members. So there might be the impression that not everything said in the book, are facts that been considered very objectively by him. 

Anyway, too bad the book won't be published.

It's his book, his autobiography. Maybe it wasn't his aim to be completely objective but to tell the story as it was from his point of view.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I think more points of view need to be applied here. On the one hand, he may be whiny or generally a pain in the butt. On the other hand, would he completely make up the Duff dissing Frank/Izzy thing and then risk facing consequences, even if it was just in the form of personal messages between the musicians or - worse - social media lashing? I mean, assertions of this kind may have quite an impact, it would stir a lot of shit, wouldn't it. So the question is, would he just make this up? And secondly, how legitimate is the e-version? The only thing we know now is that we may never know. 

Another thought – and a pure speculation, of course. Whether or not Matt made it up, it could have gotten to Duff through editors or whomever, and he asked them or Matt to take it down or rework it: not just because of the resulting problems potentially ensuing in the band, but don’t forget that Frank, after all, is black. And I’d say now would be the worst time in America to tackle even the slightest possibility/suggestion that the whole thing could have anything to do with this. SJWs would jump at that shit on Twitter within like one day. OIAM would start trending there right after. And I don’t think the band could withstand something like this these days, not any more. 
Just riffin’ here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

It's his book, his autobiography. Maybe it wasn't his aim to be completely objective but to tell the story as it was from his point of view.

true

but on the other hand, it's not very reliable, if you draw yourself, in every story, as a victim of circumstances, or other people's actions.

anyway, these are only my personal impressions from the excrepts we got earlier in this thread.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What Matt says in that little excerpt is interesting... on the one hand, its almost like he was trying to imply to Duff that he should automatically be considered for the job because of his history with the band without even consideration...

on the other.. wow. Does anyone else feel after reading that, that this could have potentially truly happened the way Matt talks about it, and due to those events, GNR or maybe even Axl/Slash himself asked the Cult to open for them In 2016? I know how petty Axl can be sometimes..

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's some mean shit against Matt and Frank, if true.

Perhaps those conversations were meant to be private, but still... Fernando asking Matt to play a few shows or songs for free (basically), and Duff saying Frank can't play. Yeah, not exactly great for current GN'R. 

Never a dull moment with this band, just wish the next album would come out, or leak, or whatever. 

I'd be happy if most or all the CD era stuff got out somehow, would be good closure until the band can figure something out.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt really paints Duff as a spineless coward afraid to be straight with him for fear of angering Axl. He repeatedly claims Duff disparages Frank’s drumming, which to me seems like a self-aggrandizing attempt on Matt’s part to push the narrative that some GNR fans believe (that Frank can’t drum). 

I guess part of me doesn’t want to believe Duff would act that way (anymore). Then again, Sorum has always come off as a bit of a whiney douche with an overinflated ego. So I can totally see him being butthurt about not being asked back in GNR. In the HOF chapter, Matt talks some more about how Slash and Duff kept him out of the loop when they decided to play at the ceremonies. He says Adler was the only one decent to him, offering him the drummer spot in “Brownstone.” 
 

Again, the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Or the whole two sides thing. Maybe Duff was trying to spare Matt’s feelings cause he didn’t want him in GNR either. But if so, Duff should have been straight up with him about it. 
 

Oh, and according to Matt, we have him to thank for teaching Axl (and the entire band) about music production and Pro Tools. He says Axl didn’t know what a drum loop was. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some (not many) new bits of information in the book. He mentions the song for the Jackie Chan movie as a song Axl had. Rick Rubin was going to be the producer at the time and he liked the song. It was only instrumental, and according to Matt Rubin asked Axl if there were lyrics, Axl said "No", Rubin turned away and left, and Axl then fired him.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are some (not many) new bits of information in the book. He mentions the song for the Jackie Chan movie as a song Axl had. Rick Rubin was going to be the producer at the time and he liked the song. It was only instrumental, and according to Matt Rubin asked Axl if there were lyrics, Axl said "No", Rubin turned away and left, and Axl then fired him.

Adding to this, Sorum also claims he was fired for defending Slash when Tobias said Slash “sucked.”

Sorum says he got in Axl’s face and Axl always had a “demented” aura. He said just looking into Axl’s “mean” eyes would give him the cold sweats. And then he followed that up by saying he can still see this effect today based on Slash’s body language in the NITL tour. He said Slash looks like he’s  still on eggshells around Axl.

I gotta say, Sorum must read GNR forums ‘cause he seems to try to echo the fans’ assumptions about body language, Frank not being right for the band, etc. Almost like he’s catering it to those opinions. Somehow I bet if Sorum was offered the full-time drummer gig in GNR, he’d take it in a second despite the hurt feelers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are some (not many) new bits of information in the book. He mentions the song for the Jackie Chan movie as a song Axl had. Rick Rubin was going to be the producer at the time and he liked the song. It was only instrumental, and according to Matt Rubin asked Axl if there were lyrics, Axl said "No", Rubin turned away and left, and Axl then fired him.

I know it has been discussed before, but I'm curious if this is the same Jackie Chan that was confirmed to be a working title for what eventually leaked as Hardschool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...