Time to let go?

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

10k initially? Maybe 1-2k max!! I LOVE CD! but I'm also a realist! While it has its fans, there is no way there's that much of a market. It's incredibly niche and not worth the cost involved. I would love to hear all that stuff, but the majority of ghr fans are the people gnr management focus on, not the 1-2000 people that might go out and buy a deluxe extended Chinese democracy boxset. Big gambal for them. 

AFD and UYI  were widely accepted records, and include the bands most famous songs that's why they get such grand treatment CD is beloved by some but the majority have decided it's not for them.

In fairness - I did pluck that number out of thin air - and caveated it with ‘or something’....😂. I’d hope UMG would put in a bit more market research than that!

But I still think there is a market....I recently got Rush’s Hemispheres Super Deluxe which contains similar to what I’d want for a CD one and you can bet that Hemispheres sold a fraction of what CD did.

Record Companies aren’t slow in repackaging stuff so you have to hope CD will get some treatment at some point (maybe even after the band calls it a day)?

I've been checked out for about a year now even with the show announcements.  I had little faith that the setlist would be switched up significantly.  I had bought Pit tix for the Metlife show, but once it became clear that wasn't going to happen I kinda shrugged my shoulders and requested my refund.  The most frustrating part of this band is the fact that they have their UYI tour pro-shot somewhere albeit rough and unedited, but this would be the ultimate value-add for those who are fan club members.  I would go pay that dreadful site if pro-shot shows from back in the day were available.  

If you really want to let go, just let go. I've been here since 2003, and I checked out a long time ago. However, Guns N' Roses were an integral part of my upbringing, and I will never forget that. They are a legendary band, and their music will live on indefinitely. They're much older now, and there has been a lot of wasted potential. In other ways, I have also been duly impressed (Axl's run with AC/DC deserves such mention). It is what is.

• Like 1

The Locker Leaks massively restored my love for GNR. Before that I hadn't listened to much of their music after the dust had settled on the London 2017 gig.

I cant see me listening to much GNR in 2021 without an official announcement regarding new music.

How fucking hard would it be to give us Hardschool?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, action said:

this band really isn't aimed at the hardcore fan. rather, it is a greatest hits band known for november rain and sweet child of mine. those songs gather some views on youtube, yes.

as a hard rock band, it even wasn't that remarkable to begin with. most of their songs don't have a nice "flow" to them. I guess "nightrain" is cool. "it's so easy" too. but I wouldn't class GNR as an enjoyable rock band.

Other than it's so easy / nightrain, what do they have to open a show? other acts, like AC/DC, motley crue, aerosmith, the stones, judas priest, motorhead, had a WEALTH of great songs to open a concert and get things going. But what does GNR have? I don't see any song on the illusions to get the party going. even right next door to hell, arguably the best song on the UYI's, isn't comparable to something like "rock n roll train" by AC/DC.

the problem with GNR, is Axl's perfectionism and need to overcomplicate songs. With overcomplication, comes a lack of flow. As evidenced by all the songs on "chinese democracy": litterally not 1 great rocking song on that album.

I have no guns n roses songs on my playlist. they feel out of place, they bring the fun and the temp down, they feel like someone threw a can of nails on the road during a cycling event. 

I really don't get people like you. Why are you even here if you think that GNR songs do not "flow"? If I don't like something, I'm not going to waste my time. My time is extremely valuable now that I'm in my 40s.  Time is the most precious commodity we have. I  totally don't get why you even bother visiting the forum. 

I agree with OP.

It took me years n' years to shake GnR from me. I now clock in here once in a blue moon to see if there are any specific updates, and sometimes not even that - it's a quick google search for news.

Wish and hope the band has success with new music, but I'm over waiting for  - or even expecting - anything worthwhile anymore. Once i finally shook the GnR 'addiction' it was a blessing. 

Seen them countless times across eras, and now wouldn't go see them again. I have doubts now that even if there was a new record, it'd be average at best. None of them a pushing themselves musically, and can't see them going back to a traditional rock sound and instead more of an overproduced cliché of themselves.

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

I really don't get people like you. Why are you even here if you think that GNR songs do not "flow"? If I don't like something, I'm not going to waste my time. My time is extremely valuable now that I'm in my 40s.  Time is the most precious commodity we have. I  totally don't get why you even bother visiting the forum. 

He most post in Anything Goes.

• Like 1

Yep it's time. It's a career for these guys now. 

It's not a gang. It's a big ca$h machine.

No one has even given a meaningful interview in what feels like centuries.

I enjoyed the NITL tour but that was it for me and i have been a fan since the 80s. I got to meet the whole band and chat and will I always have my ear in the right circles for something new but the real truth here is there isn't anything ready any time soon. Some demos, some collaboration. Most will never see the light of day.

I think many of you underestimate HOW popular gnr truly is, especially with casual fans. Just recently I have read two articles that establish this point. 

In this article, it discussed the most streamed songs by rock/metal acts on spotify. Guns n Roses streaming numbers are HUGE. What makes this even more important, this is YOUNGER people listening on spotify. 

https://loudwire.com/most-streamed-spotify-songs-rock-metal/

This next article is impressive because ALL of guns studio albums are listed. Not only that, but again some HUGE album sales numbers. Especially when you compare to their contemporaries.

https://loudwire.com/rock-metal-artists-five-more-platinum-albums/

My point is, Guns n Roses are STILL extremely popular. Even despite all the nonsense. 

• Like 3

Love the music from 87 to 93

Never supported nugun lineup

Still wear GNR shirts, illusion related to this day

Saw them in 2017 and after hearing Estranged i thought if i die now ill be happy.

I just dont support or like the current lineup. Get rid of frank and mel.

Richards stupid onstage antics attacking the guitar is something cringy ashba would do.

Axl has turned into the one thing he swore he never wanted the band to be. That is purely on him and no one else.

Im more excited for illusion anniversary as both of those albums were my "go to" back in 91 when i was 16. This will be a closure for me.

Im more excited for the illusion anniversary then for new music.

Will contine to support slashs solo endeavours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

I thought the most valuable commodity was information?.

This year is all I have known of GnR and so any music, interviews etc is retrospective.  I dont particularly enjoy the present incarnation due to Axls voice which is terribly sad.  After the initial excitement of finding this band I came to realise my enjoyment would have to be all retrospective as their silence speaks volumes.  It looks as though there is nothing else in the GnR pot and with the pandemic ending concerts for a while it may be they who 'let go' of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Route66 said:

Yep it's time. It's a career for these guys now. 

It's not a gang. It's a big ca$h machine.

No one has even given a meaningful interview in what feels like centuries.

I enjoyed the NITL tour but that was it for me and i have been a fan since the 80s. I got to meet the whole band and chat and will I always have my ear in the right circles for something new but the real truth here is there isn't anything ready any time soon. Some demos, some collaboration. Most will never see the light of day.

As long as some do then I will take it....😂

8 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

I agree with OP.

It took me years n' years to shake GnR from me. I now clock in here once in a blue moon to see if there are any specific updates, and sometimes not even that - it's a quick google search for news.

Wish and hope the band has success with new music, but I'm over waiting for  - or even expecting - anything worthwhile anymore. Once i finally shook the GnR 'addiction' it was a blessing. 

Seen them countless times across eras, and now wouldn't go see them again. I have doubts now that even if there was a new record, it'd be average at best. None of them a pushing themselves musically, and can't see them going back to a traditional rock sound and instead more of an overproduced cliché of themselves.

I am at this stage too. But as you say, they were such a big part of my upbringing. They shaped my musical influences, my personality and how I made decisions. I don't feel that's wasted, but I feel sad that I'll never replicate that feeling. Axl has managed to destroy the soul of his biggest fans. That is his current legacy. I just wanted too feel that excitement of seeing them for the first time in 06, the chinese democracy release. but I'd say it started to die around 2012 when new music didn't come, the setlist didnt change and no originals rejoined.

2016 gave hope but somehow the biggest reunion in music, they have managed to sour. Even the casuals are miffed. If you look at every non south american comment on socials, it's mostly discontent and new album requests. It's sad, but thus, we move on. GnR are never my go to listen anymore. that'll be the clash or the beatles. age 12-27 I would never have said that or thought that possible.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

How about my ruminations on how the band shaved when they were alcoholic drug addicts? That one do anything for you? 

I just simply ignored that one. I had drug addiction problems in my youth. Shaving isnt exactly hard to do when you're wrecked. Just wouldn't recommended it on hallucinogenics 😂

7 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I think many of you underestimate HOW popular gnr truly is, especially with casual fans. Just recently I have read two articles that establish this point. 

In this article, it discussed the most streamed songs by rock/metal acts on spotify. Guns n Roses streaming numbers are HUGE. What makes this even more important, this is YOUNGER people listening on spotify. 

https://loudwire.com/most-streamed-spotify-songs-rock-metal/

This next article is impressive because ALL of guns studio albums are listed. Not only that, but again some HUGE album sales numbers. Especially when you compare to their contemporaries.

https://loudwire.com/rock-metal-artists-five-more-platinum-albums/

My point is, Guns n Roses are STILL extremely popular. Even despite all the nonsense. 

Did anyone say they aren't popular though? We know Guns is still popular because they last year came off one of the highest-grossing tours of all time. It's just a matter of their inability to follow up with anything substantial outside of touring and merchandise.

• Like 2

In reality, GnR is not the only band to have "semi-reunited" and have yet to release any new material....Look at System of a Down. There have been several interviews with members and rumors of the band working on new material that has never materialized. Seems like every year they keep making excuses as to why the band can't get on the same page, while in the mean time having only played live shows sparingly. 

Don't know if anyone has seen SOAD's latest excuse for failing to produce material, but front man Serj Tankian is "frustrated" at drummer and brother-in-law, John Dolmayan, for his "American Political" views, for basically criticizing Democrats of late and praising Trump. (As if the band didn't need another excuse to put off working together.)

Also, don't forget Rage Against The Machine. This band has teased re-uniting, how many times now?? And if not for COVID-19, were going to charge ticket prices for their "reunion" shows, that made GnR's ticket prices look like a Wendy's Value Meal in comparison. Seems like that band only "re-unites" when a band member needs extra cash, and some how, just happens to be during an American Election year each time....(2008-Reunion Live Shows, No Album) (2016-Tom Morello forms "Prophets of Rage.")  

I know it would be nice to hear new GnR material, but in reality, I don't have high expectations.  I think it is due to both the age of the band members at this point, and don't forget, the 2 best song writers in the band's history are not available (West Arkeen, Izzy Stradlin).  My best hope if for some sort of behind the scenes or new documentary from all the footage taken, during the Use Your Illusion tours.

Edited by papashaun
Left Word Out

25 minutes ago, papashaun said:

In reality, GnR is not the only band to have "semi-reunited" and have yet to release any new material....Look at System of a Down. There have been several interviews with members and rumors of the band working on new material that has never materialized. Seems like every year they keep making excuses as to why the band can't get on the same page, while in the mean time having only played live shows sparingly. 

Don't know if anyone has seen SOAD's latest excuse for failing to produce material, but front man Serj Tankian is "frustrated" at drummer and brother-in-law, John Dolmayan, for his "American Political" views, for basically criticizing Democrats of late and praising Trump. (As if the band didn't need another excuse to put off working together.)

Also, don't forget Rage Against The Machine. This band has teased re-uniting, how many times now?? And if not for COVID-19, were going to charge ticket prices for their "reunion" shows, that made GnR's ticket prices look like a Wendy's Value Meal in comparison. Seems like that band only "re-unites" when a band member needs extra cash, and some how, just happens to be during an American Election year each time....(2008-Reunion Live Shows, No Album) (2016-Tom Morello forms "Prophets of Rage.")  

I know it would be nice to hear new GnR material, but in reality, I don't have high expectations.  I think it is due to both the age of the band members at this point, and don't forget, the 2 best song writers in the band's history are not available (West Arkeen, Izzy Stradlin).  My best hope if for some sort of behind the scenes or new documentary from all the footage taken, during the Use Your Illusion tours.

It's a good point about Rage Against The Machine (and their ludicrous prices - they certainly don't 'rage' against that particular capitalist machine!) but worth remembering that whenever they reunite it is only for a limited time, and they never promise new material. That;s the big one I think - the years and years of hints, allusions and statements regarding new material that never appears. 

• Like 1