06/11/22 - Solvesborg, SE - Sweden Rock Festival

alfierose

I'm surprised they're still covering Wichita Lineman 5 years later. Its a good song but it should be retired at this point along with Black Hole Sun. I don't know if its just me, but for releasing two sprawling double albums it seems like Axl doesn't want to touch a lot of the UYI songs.

It's great that they brought back Locomotive and Dead Horse for periods, but there's still a bunch of songs they can explore. If Axl doesn't want to touch them vocally, I always thought doing a medley jam of some of those songs would be cool.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Swede1991 said:

This Sweden Rock gig gets very bad reviews from swedish magazines :facepalm:

Aftonbladet - (0/5)

Rocknytt - (2,5/5)

What the reviews have in common is the lack off rasp and too many covers 

But for you guys who was at the show, i hope you had fun! :headbang:i wished i had been there 

Maybe the first 2 shows (last year) were 0/5 but there's no way the current show deserves such a bad rating. Probably a reviewer who just doesn't enjoy gnr so they slated them.

Obviously there are some serious indulgences and misfires in the gnr set and Axls voice is quite frail in places

Edited by Tom2112

From Aftonbladet :

Guns N 'Roses kills the festival atmosphere

Sofia Bergström

Guns N 'Roses did not take revenge after the previous failure at Sweden Rock.Photo: RICKARD NILSSON

MUSIC

SWEDEN ROCK Mercyful Fate's satanic sermon the night before was certainly a cautious prelude.

It will be Guns N 'Roses that spread the biggest fear at the festival.

Guns N 'Roses

Location: Festival Stage. Audience:Really small with people. It has probably never been so sparse before a main act on Sweden Rock. Duration: Three hours. That's about three hours too much. Best: You can not complain about "I wanna be your dog", maybe because Axl Rose does not sing. Even "Knockin 'on heaven's door" and "Coma" actually sound quite okay. Worst: The rest. Question: Does the band themselves think it sounds good?

NORWAY. Guns N 'Roses need no further presentation.

However, the members are in desperate need of their own watches. Someone has to teach Americans the clock and how to keep time.

Their debut at Sweden Rock twelve years ago immediately went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame. Axl Rose & co was almost an hour late and was met by burop from a wet and disappointed audience.

It was not a question of whether they would be delayed this time, but by how much .

30 minutes is the right answer.

Just over half an hour after the scheduled time, Duff McKagan and Slash enter the stage and stand next to the Ukrainian flag. Then Axl Rose and the rest of the band stroll in.

The reception is fishy.

In front of him, the band has a crowd of people who are more reminiscent of a dead school of fish than a peppy audience.

However, the pulsating rhythms in "Welcome to the jungle" excite the people around me. The energy that arises temporarily certainly opens up a temporary portal to a parallel universe.

Maybe one where Axl Rose still sings well. Because he does not do that in this world.

During "Chinese democracy", "Welcome to the jungle" and "Hard school" I get such anxiety that my intestines get tangled up like a rat king (image google it if you dare).

It therefore feels like a godsend when McKagan takes over the song in The Stooges cover "I wanna be your dog".

And there will be more covers, of course, because Guns N 'Roses plays in what feels like an eternity.

Not only are they delayed - they also take over by 30 minutes. And no one in the band seems to take any notice that the audience is thinning out for each song.

There will thus be no revenge since the last time.

It feels more like you are participating in a game of Russian roulette. With constant fear that the next song will be the one that extinguishes the spark of life.

It's basically only during "Knockin 'on heaven's door", "I wanna be your dog" and "Coma" that I do not want Saint Per to pick me up and let me in through the pearl gate.

When "Paradise city" subsides and the concert hell is finally over, it undeniably feels like I have ended up in paradise.

• Wow 1

49 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

This review is a joke and people on this forum using it to attack Axl is as bad as the review.

You can think the review is harsh and simultaneously think Axl needs to up his game. There's a post below yours from someone on here who was at the show and it's not exactly glowing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

You can think the review is harsh and simultaneously think Axl needs to up his game. There's a post below yours from someone on here who was at the show and it's not exactly glowing.

Judging by the footage available it was a mixed bag, Back in black sounded quite good jungle sounded bad. If the reviewer was just focussing on the hits then the set would definitely seem poor as Axl is at his worst when he sings them. Which is indefensible really.

Side note, what was frank up to on Jungle? Why did he not play the open/close h-hat during the verses? He was playing closed hat and it sucked all the momentum from the track. Sounded like crap. I think he's on a click too, he was holding back and the rest of the band were playing ahead of him. Personally don't think any song on AFD should have a click, ok maybe set the tempo with a click but as soon as the band kicks on it should be knocked off and the band should be able to hold the tempo relatively close if they are any good.

Judging from Live and Let Die video there was something wrong with his voice last night. In the video he fails one scream and talks to in ear monitors and after that he put more clothes on.. scarf etc. Was it a cold night in Sweden? Hopefully he isnt really sick and can recover for Prague show.

What was the highlight of the show?

2 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

Judging from Live and Let Die video there was something wrong with his voice last night. In the video he fails one scream and talks to in ear monitors and after that he put more clothes on.. scarf etc. Was it a cold night in Sweden? Hopefully he isnt really sick and can recover for Prague show.

It got pretty cold as the show went on so I thought it was to shield his throat from the cold 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelmi said:

In Sevilla, where I went to see them, I Saw Axl blowing his nose constantly (2 or 3 times at every 2 songs) so maybe he has something which we don't know!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dani_1455 said:

In Sevilla, where I went to see them, I Saw Axl blowing his nose constantly (2 or 3 times at every 2 songs) so maybe he has something which we don't know!

Maybe sinus problems? I saw that at a few shows back in 2016. It could explain why he's often sounds like he sings with a blocked nose

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Not forever last time but, I can see them cancelling if one of the band members, especially Slash gets it.  And they've been out on the streets.  Not being as careful this time out.  Let their guard down.  You can get a mild case and still function but do you want to take the stage with it?  Wouldn't surprise me if the whole European leg is messed up.

If anybody besides Axl, Slash or Duff got COVID I think they would just get somebody to fill in for a few shows.  Possibly use a tech if necessary.

If it's A, S or D and they are feeling well enough to perform, I'd think they'd just keep people away from them and have them stay in a marked off section of the stage and let the show go on.  Aren't all the European dates outdoor venues?  Very low risk if they do something like that, especially in an outdoor venue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

If anybody besides Axl, Slash or Duff got COVID I think they would just get somebody to fill in for a few shows.  Possibly use a tech if necessary.

If it's A, S or D and they are feeling well enough to perform, I'd think they'd just keep people away from them and have them stay in a marked off section of the stage and let the show go on.  Aren't all the European dates outdoor venues?  Very low risk if they do something like that, especially in an outdoor venue.

If a anyone in camp got sick they would cancel the show or shows. Zero fucking around with COVID when it comes to Guns.