Guns N Roses to headline BottleRock

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I love RHCP, but if there’s one thing I can criticize about them, it’s that their setlists aren’t really that diverse. Whenever they play festivals (which is most of their shows really), it’s mainly just the hits.

When I saw them in 2018 their set was pretty obscure to me. I liked blood sugar set magic and a drop of the hits from the preceding years. Expected to hear all the hits but they left out loads of them. Not even sure if they played scar tissue. 

It was also the most boring show I've seen. People talking about gnr having no stage chemistry! Go see rhcp😁 may as well have been 4 guys in detention looking at the clock. Maybe John might revitalise them a bit though🤞🤞

56 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Oh for sure, and hell, me too.  It's literally battered spouse syndrome, and even the most smart ass, jaded, posters names pop up in the threads the day after the first show. Because the truth is, however dismal the chances are of new music, if it does happen we know we'll very likely fall in love with whatever song(s).  

It's like being invited to a party where you have a 1 in a thousand chance of getting laid by a 10/10 super model.  I think most of us would show up at said party.  And most of us will go home disappointed lol

Sign me up😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

When I saw them in 2018 their set was pretty obscure to me. I liked blood sugar set magic and a drop of the hits from the preceding years. Expected to hear all the hits but they left out loads of them. Not even sure if they played scar tissue. 

Josh Klinghoffer encouraged them to play deep cuts a lot, more than they did with Frusciante, but other than that it's not so different from what GnR does. The greatest hits and some covers and deep cuts here and there, and they have so much more material to choose from.

I love the RHCP, love Frusciante, but it's hard not to criticize Anthony, he sings out of tune too often live and especially on the last couple of tours he forgot the lyrics to most songs even though he had the lyrics in front of him!

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

For what it’s worth, RHCP recently fired their longtime manager and hired their friend in his place. I have a feeling them dropping out of all shows (including bottlerock) has more to do with that than anything else. They also recently sold their entire song catalog for $150 million. Not sure why, tho. Hopefully their isn’t any turmoil in that band right now or anything.

4 hours ago, sofine11 said:

You know what's the most depressing thing about the months leading up to GNR gigs after a period of inactivity?  We all fucking KNOW in our hearts that they ain't going to do anything new.  That sort of thing hasn't happened since 2006, as in debuting new music in some form live.  Literally.  That's fucking bonkers.  

But since we're legitimate fans of these guys, it still hurts when you see that first safe, lazy, setlist.  Not looking forward to that.

To be fair, the last time they actually debuted songs for the first time live was the December 2009 shows. So only 12 years ago.

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, alfierose said:

Bottlerock looks very artisan and wholesome for a rock festival. :lol:

If you go to this and find yourself disappointed in the GNR show I feel like you'll be able to cheer yourself up by taking home a nice cheese board and some locally made kefir.

I hate kefir. My mother made me have some once and then I felt really sick the rest of the day.

10 hours ago, sofine11 said:

You know what's the most depressing thing about the months leading up to GNR gigs after a period of inactivity?  We all fucking KNOW in our hearts that they ain't going to do anything new.  That sort of thing hasn't happened since 2006, as in debuting new music in some form live.  Literally.  That's fucking bonkers.  

But since we're legitimate fans of these guys, it still hurts when you see that first safe, lazy, setlist.  Not looking forward to that.

Yes absolutely

10 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Oh for sure, and hell, me too.  It's literally battered spouse syndrome, and even the most smart ass, jaded, posters names pop up in the threads the day after the first show. Because the truth is, however dismal the chances are of new music, if it does happen we know we'll very likely fall in love with whatever song(s).  

It's like being invited to a party where you have a 1 in a thousand chance of getting laid by a 10/10 super model.  I think most of us would show up at said party.  And most of us will go home disappointed lol

I would definitely go home alone haha

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Forget about GNR, go watch Meg Myers concert. She's awesome and not even a headliner yet.

Love Meg Myers, been listening to her for years before she was getting booked for these bigger festivals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It was also the most boring show I've seen. People talking about gnr having no stage chemistry! Go see rhcp😁 may as well have been 4 guys in detention looking at the clock. Maybe John might revitalise them a bit though🤞🤞

Sign me up😃

Agree, Chillis were boring live at reading festival, they play barely 85-90 minutes and leave out 5/6 classics. I have nothing against mixing set lists up, but if you are one of the elite or heritage bands, then playing the bare minimum is unacceptable. you dont have to go full gnr foo fighters or springsteen and hit 3 hours, but 2 hours is about right. your main hits, 2/3 deep cuts 2/3 new songs. I'll even allow a band jam or a cover. 

47 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Agree, Chillis were boring live at reading festival, they play barely 85-90 minutes and leave out 5/6 classics. I have nothing against mixing set lists up, but if you are one of the elite or heritage bands, then playing the bare minimum is unacceptable. you dont have to go full gnr foo fighters or springsteen and hit 3 hours, but 2 hours is about right. your main hits, 2/3 deep cuts 2/3 new songs. I'll even allow a band jam or a cover. 

When RHCP was younger they used to go a little longer. They’d do long jam sessions and Anthony would improv lyrics and stuff. It was really cool. Maybe they’ll do that again now that John is back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

What sucks about RHCP is that they completely ignore most of their 80's albums and One Hot Minute. They really limit themselves of great music. Even if they don't want to play those songs in full, a medley would be nice. They'll do these brief 30 second teases that are a waste.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

What sucks about RHCP is that they completely ignore most of their 80's albums and One Hot Minute. They really limit themselves of great music. Even if they don't want to play those songs in full, a medley would be nice. They'll do these brief 30 second teases that are a waste.

True, but at least they have plenty of songs to choose from across the four (going on five) post-1990 John albums. Would be nice if they also keep playing some Josh-era stuff too, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Didn't they play some One Hot Minute stuff with Josh?

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

True, but at least they have plenty of songs to choose from across the four (going on five) post-1990 John albums. Would be nice if they also keep playing some Josh-era stuff too, but I doubt it.

Yeah I feel like they're going to ignore the last 2 albums with Josh, which is a shame.

They played Aeroplane which was cool to hear but I'd love for them to play My Friends. I wonder if John would come around to playing songs from that era. The newer stuff I could possibly see. John and Josh are buds and I could see John singing his vocals.

Edited by mystery
Spelling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mystery said:

They played Aeroplane which was cool to hear but I'd love for them to play My Friends. I wonder if John would come around to playing songs from that era. The newer stuff I could possibly see. John and Josh are buds and I could see John singing his vocals.

They used to be good friends. Apparently John hasn't been in touch with Josh anymore since he took his place in the band. I can't see John playing One Hot Minute stuff because he never did before and he doesn't want to be reminded of that time, but I don't know if they can get away with not playing any stuff from the last two records. It would be even more of a slap in the face for the Josh fans, them firing him wasn't too nice in the first place, and a lot of fans do like those records. Me being one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

They used to be good friends. Apparently John hasn't been in touch with Josh anymore since he took his place in the band. I can't see John playing One Hot Minute stuff because he never did before and he doesn't want to be reminded of that time, but I don't know if they can get away with not playing any stuff from the last two records. It would be even more of a slap in the face for the Josh fans, them firing him wasn't too nice in the first place, and a lot of fans do like those records. Me being one of them.

Personally I preferred the band with Josh, although I didn't really get into RHCP until he was in the band.

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I could see Slash just learning his parts for the Chinese Democracy songs and having no idea about any of the lyrics.

That's probably what's happening.

• Like 1