ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

3 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'm not going to knock anyone who likes Absurd but there seems to be some weird Stockholm Syndrome going on with it. It's long been considered a joke song and one of their absolute worst for the past 20 years. I think people are so desperate for any fresh Guns n Roses songs that they'll take the song that has "pussy full of maggots" contained in its lyrics.

ABSURD IS THE 21ST CENTURY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

ABSURD IS THE 21ST CENTURY WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE.

I'll admit that Slash ads a whole lot to the recorded version but its still lipstick on the pig that is Silkworms. There's at least 10 other original Guns N Roses songs I'd rather hear them play live than this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'll admit that Slash ads a whole lot to the recorded version but its still lipstick on the pig that is Silkworms. There's at least 10 other original Guns N Roses songs I'd rather hear them play live than this.

I was kidding lol

I like the song but it isn't one of my top GnR tracks.  I'm just happy to see them playing a new song, and Slash really shines in it.  It's a fun song

15 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I was kidding lol

I like the song but it isn't one of my top GnR tracks.  I'm just happy to see them playing a new song, and Slash really shines in it.  It's a fun song

I actually listened to it and realized how much Slash elevates it compared to other Chi Dem tracks that get worse when new guitar gets added to them.

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Good point. At first I thought it was bullshit and thought it was a wasted opportunity. But then excepted it as a "fun song" and hope it's a sign that somethings coming in the near future. 

31 minutes ago, ax1 said:

I like the original version of Silkworms much much better, but other than that if the original has Slash in it Id find it even much better.

I'd agree with that. Still not quite great song but the original was better in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my first post here in years..

I only discovered the new track AbsuЯd this morning, and immediately recognized it as Silkworms, the track previewed many years ago. It's not exactly the same. Seems weird GN'R releasing *new* Gn'R music as their own???

I thought the original Silkworms was a Chris Pittman track. Didn't Pittman have a falling out with Axl over money? ..seems odd to release it now. I wonder how Pittman feels about the new mix?

Didn't Axl once say during a live show, the fans were not quite ready for Silkworms (..and possibly other material in a similar vein). 

On the subject on new GNR music, i wanted AFD or UYI style stuff. Silkworms to me is down there with the likes of My World

I guess something new is better than nothing. I wonder if the new album will simply be a dusting of old unfinished work along with some cover tracks, which is similar to what they did with UYI. I assume there is no chance of hearing any of Bucketheads work, stored in the vault. 

Edited by star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard a few people complaining about the mix and blaming Caram Costanzo for the mix of Absurd and Chinese Democracy. Caram mixed Absurd but Andy Wallace mixed Chinese Democracy. Andy Wallace also mixed Live Era.

I basically quite like this song but I'm not convinced it was the wisest song to launch the semi-reunited band as a studio project. I'm really glad they included the drum track by Brain. He's the best drummer the band ever had, and they've had some great ones. I wish he was slightly higher in the mix but the guitars and bass sound fantastic.

I believe writing credits are Axl Rose, Duff, Slash and Dizzy specifically, at least in terms who receives royalties. It was posted somewhere in the past few pages. Guns n Roses could just be a wide moniker to say a trillion people worked on it.

Im glad Dizzy will get royalities off of this song, and that it didn’t just default to the big 3

On 9/5/2021 at 1:35 AM, Blackstar said:

It's so that they can get royalties.

The same happened with Matt and Dizzy for UYI: they're listed in the ASCAP and the other PRO's databases as writers, even though they didn't write anything.

Since I haven't heard Silkworms, isn't it possible they were credited because they worked on the riff and on the overall guitarwork?

Edited by Free Bird

My guess is, GNR released this for a bit of fun. I doubt the new album will feature the track. Possibly best saved for a b side track, or bonus track on a future CD single, assuming GN'R bother with these formats. 

Edited by star

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Since I haven't heard Silkworms, isn't it possible they were credited because they worked on the riff and on the overall guitarwork?

Parts of the song are the same as the 2006 demo, they literally pasted Slash solos and Duff's bass into an existing track... like they'll probably do with any other 'new' songs.

I'm not even sure when I last listened to Absurd, it's been a couple weeks at least... it definitely didn't grow on me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I've heard a few people complaining about the mix and blaming Caram Costanzo for the mix of Absurd and Chinese Democracy. Caram mixed Absurd but Andy Wallace mixed Chinese Democracy. Andy Wallace also mixed Live Era.

Caram and Axl produced and mixed Chinese Democracy. There are a few additional mix by And Wallace that survived in the end product, but he wasn't the main guy. If you want to listen to his work on those songs, just listen to the Antiquiet demos. Keep in mind that those tracks were not mastered and had a low sample rate when streamed on that site.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Parts of the song are the same as the 2006 demo, they literally pasted Slash solos and Duff's bass into an existing track... like they'll probably do with any other 'new' songs.

I'm not even sure when I last listened to Absurd, it's been a couple weeks at least... it definitely didn't grow on me.

On me neither, I'm just remembering #Blackstar saying the guitar work isn't the same as in the Bumble version, not only referring to the solos.

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

On me neither, I'm just remembering #Blackstar saying the guitar work isn't the same as in the Bumble version, not only referring to the solos.

Yes, the vocal mix and the structure are the same, but the guitar work is different - the riffs are also the same, but that's because they're based on the synth parts of the original version.

The credits on ASCAP don't always represent who "really" wrote what. Someone may get a publishing share even if their contributions do not qualify as what is considered "standard" songwriting (chord progression, riff, lyrics/melodies).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Caram and Axl produced and mixed Chinese Democracy. There are a few additional mix by And Wallace that survived in the end product, but he wasn't the main guy. If you want to listen to his work on those songs, just listen to the Antiquiet demos. Keep in mind that those tracks were not mastered and had a low sample rate when streamed on that site.

I did not realise that. It does explain a few things.

• Like 1