ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

I read the comments at the Steve Hoffman forum. Mostly negative (as is evident by the poll), but not as much as I expected.

The two main groups of negative comments are those who think that it's just a bad song and those who say that it's not too bad, but it doesn't sound like GnR/is a failed attempt by GnR to be something else.

Surprisingly, some from the second group think that it sounds more like VR than GnR - and it's not the only place I've read similar comments.

I've also read many comments, there and elsewhere, pointing out that Axl is trying to sound like John Lydon in PiL or that his singing on Absurd is definitely influenced by PiL. Although I doubt that Axl had mostly PiL in mind (probably more the Prodigy and English punk in general), to me it's rather a compliment.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

When I bought the download on Friday, it was #63 on the list of the band's most popular songs.

Which doesn't really make sense. It was #12 on the overall iTunes chart pretty much all of Friday. No other GN'R song was anywhere close to #12 on the iTunes pop chart. I would think Absurd was actually the most downloaded GN'R song on Friday, and probably still is right now. It's currently #4 on the iTunes Rock chart, while Sweet Child is #8 and Jungle is #16. 

Just now, Towelie said:

That's the problem when you hardly release new music, people get a very fixed/rigid idea of what your music is supposed to sound like and anything that doesn't sound like AFD 2.0 is going to be lambasted by a certain group of people.

I've said it before, but as evidenced by "Absurd's" continued success, they're all howling into a vacuum. 

• ABSUЯD 1

Axl has a very diversified musical taste, and this one especially vocally sounds like PiL. But I'm pretty sure they didnt think about any band or influence when they did this one, they felt like it, and bam.

GNR has always been that way, you can hear what they like and fan of here and there in everything they did. What I love about this is, most artists cant do this with their authenticity, GNR always pulled that off. Even the covers they did, they all belong to them, you dont think about the originals when you listen to them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zombux said:

this is 1500x1500 PNG from iTunes https://we.tl/t-thhMHomYlO

thx mate!!! I'm outta likes today, sorry couldnt leave a rose here :D

Also big Kudos to SLASH AND DUFF! 

People bashed Axl for years and said when slash and duff returns we're gonna have AFD songs and shit, and ABSURD is a big facial jizz to their faces, cumming from AXL, SLASH AND DUFF  :DD

• Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

thx mate!!! I'm outta likes today, sorry couldnt leave a rose here :D

Also big Kudos to SLASH AND DUFF! 

People bashed Axl for years and said when slash and duff returns we're gonna have AFD songs and shit, and ABSURD is a big facial jizz to their faces, cumming from AXL, SLASH AND DUFF  :DD

I know, I'm loving the feedback I'm seeing, even the seething angry ones. :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

That's the problem when you hardly release new music, people get a very fixed/rigid idea of what your music is supposed to sound like and anything that doesn't sound like AFD 2.0 is going to be lambasted by a certain group of people.

It's really strange to me seeing people complain that it doesn't sound like 30 year old rock music. As if that was actually going to happen. Following any recent history of the band you would know what we were gonna be getting in regards to new material. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

I can't stop listening to it, I want more songs damit.

I even enjoy the out of time "banshee" lines now, makes the whole thing sound even wilder. And the "payoff" comes with the third verse. Fucking Bill Bailey, man! :D

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was running errands this morning and played it a few more times in the car. 

I thought to myself "how the fuck am I ENJOYING Silkworms now??" 

yes, exactly. only in a very distant galaxy in a very distant parallel universe and timeline, Silkworms would be released as a first single of GNR "reunion" (well, of course it is still Chinese Democracy timeline, just with different bandmembers, by chance they are also former members but that doesn't change much).

yet - it happened, and it's fucking funny :D 

• Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Surprisingly, some from the second group think that it sounds more like VR than GnR - and it's not the only place I've read similar comments.

I could see that. The main riff does have a bit of a VR feel to it.

I think this just highlights how important Slash's feel is to the overall Guns N' Roses sound. Just his playing and attack on the riff, not to mention the solos, really help elevate the song - and it's a song he didn't even write.

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was running errands this morning and played it a few more times in the car. 

I thought to myself "how the fuck am I ENJOYING Silkworms now??" 

I can say with utmost confidence that I have listened to this song more times over the last few days than I have songs like Shotgun Blues in my lifetime. :lol:

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1