ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

Just now, Blackstar said:

He's just relying on a rumoured 2003 article in Portuguese, which allegedly mentioned PRL as the title of the follow-up to CD. Curiously, no one has posted or linked to that rumoured article or even mentioned the outlet it was published.

Yeah, I have had enough of him and his obfuscating his ill-constructed opinions as insider information. If he isn't banned I will put the troll on ignore. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Third time: How do you know the fate of songs like PRL and Thyme? Insider information or just your opinions presented as facts? 

Mixture of opinion (presented as fact), and information of others who may or may not have info.

There was various tidbits out there.  As you probably know, an article surfaced in 2003 stating the follow up after ChiDem (which obviously hadn't been released) was to be called PRL.

I've also spoken to someone at length who said PRL was a huge part of the follow up and the opening song of album 2 and an introduction to a shift in musical direction and the theme was Perception Reality Life.  This info may not be true but the individual has shared factual information previously.

We know that Thyme was worked on in 2006 and Marco Belrami was send the piece to add an orchestra.  I believe it was intended for use and potentially worked on when Rose was in the studio in 07 doing vocals.

I don't like the word 'insider' - to me, they are mysterious fraudsters who post lies for attention.

There are people out there who are better described as obsessive, persistent nuisances who'll invest a lot of time, energy and money into getting news/tidbits and songs.  

16 minutes ago, Pele said:

Of course they did!

What are they gonna say - 'no there's nothing!'

Someone posted an anthology of quotes by Fortus the other day.

Every single time it was the same - "we have new stuff, Axl is just finishing up vox"

Ya know what? I believe this dude. 

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

People still thinking the out of time vocal is an error. :facepalm: Things like this are good, they remind you about the true IQ of humanity. 

Axl has done these things with his vocal before. The 2006 mix has it.  It happens in 2 verses. You think slash and duff listened and missed it? And Axl? And the 300 people who have probably helped mix it? And TB? And not only that, they've left it out for a week and not made a single comment on it? It is intentional. It is easy to do. It is not a copy and past error. It comes in 1 beat early but doesn't cross over the previous vocal. It then comes in half a beat early in the 2nd verse. Then is in time in the 3rd. It's very intentional. Have a play on pro tools or logik. Now imagine Axl sitting there for 21 years mulling over a song. Either way stop clogging this thread with stupidity. 

It is the exact same vocal take literally copy and pasted 3 times. Just because the mistake was present in 2006 doesn’t mean it’s not a mistake. Why deliberately paste it in correctly once and off time twice before? It’s lazy to paste the same verse, it often is done with choruses, but to vary a repeated verse Axl should record actual different takes. To give a different feel or timing. It is nonsense to paste the same verse 3 times in the same song but place it in different timings for each.

It does overlap the word “deserve” in the first verse. The 2 live versions I’ve seen this year (Detroit and MetLife) Axl sings them in correct timing and not like the new official recorded release.

There is no way this was intentional. It may have been noticed and accepted but even that is a stretch for how awful it sounds.

3 minutes ago, Scarstruck said:

It does overlap the word “deserve” in the first verse. The 2 live versions I’ve seen this year (Detroit and MetLife) Axl sings them in correct timing and not like the new official recorded release.

There is no way this was intentional. It may have been noticed and accepted but even that is a stretch for how awful it sounds.

So your point is that if it was intentional, Axl would do it live, too, meaning that it can be done live?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Where were all of these sources two weeks ago? Why didn't we know that "Rose" and his band were going to play Absurb, let alone release it? 

Could it be.....and stay with me here....that people just make things up and hope to be right? 

I think some people are legitimately able to connect certain dots more than others. And yeah, sometimes that's led us down dead end allies, but who knows.  People with inside info might just like to fuck with a buzzing fanbase and disappear forever whether it pans out or not.  In other words, who the fuck knows.  Won't be the first time we've had someone telling us things we might want to hear.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Where were all of these sources two weeks ago? Why didn't we know that "Rose" and his band were going to play Absurb, let alone release it? 

Could it be.....and stay with me here....that people just make things up and hope to be right? 

A lot of these sources have lost interest or burnt their bridges.  Apart from one (the king of takedowns who doesn't post news), most of them are just persistent in trading songs/documents or harassing engineers, session musicians, directors etc for info.  They aren't 'insiders' - they aren't even liked by the band.  They are also known to trade false info among themselves! 

I had absolutely no idea they would perform Silkworms or release it as a single.  Nobody I've spoken too has the first idea that this was on the horizon.

I've stated - I believe it was a rushed handover that he was contractually obligated to do to as part of the tour guarantee but that is opinion (based on very standard modern touring guarantees) rather than fact.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I think some people are legitimately able to connect certain dots more than others. And yeah, sometimes that's led us down dead end allies, but who knows.  People with inside info might just like to fuck with a buzzing fanbase and disappear forever whether it pans out or not.  In other words, who the fuck knows.  Won't be the first time we've had someone telling us things we might want to hear.

My point is: when Axl played new music, then went silent (back in 2003 - 2005) we had everyone and their brother pop up to tell us about allllll this "insider" info they had. None of it ever came true.

The same exact scenario is playing out now. Axl surprised released a new single, yet none of these people with super super reliable sources told us it was coming. However, they're certainly able to play their "insider card" now to tell a bunch of things that could happen? 

It's literally the exact same thing that happened on forum 18 years ago! At least it was entertaining back then. Now it's just a retread of something that was worn out a long, long time ago. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

A lot of these sources have lost interest or burnt their bridges.  Apart from one (the king of takedowns who doesn't post news), most of them are just persistent in trading songs/documents or harassing engineers, session musicians, directors etc for info.  They aren't 'insiders' - they aren't even liked by the band.  They are also known to trade false info among themselves! 

I had absolutely no idea they would perform Silkworms or release it as a single.  Nobody I've spoken too has the first idea that this was on the horizon.

I've stated - I believe it was a rushed handover that he was contractually obligated to do to as part of the tour guarantee but that is opinion (based on very standard modern touring guarantees) rather than fact.

Another long winded post with another way to slip in that "jim" is an insider. 

You're persistent, I'll give you that. 

• Like 1

2 weeks later Absurd is still crap to these ears.... I’ve tried it a few times and it’s still tripe. 

1.5 million views of the first original track by a band in 13 years. The new Iron Maiden tune has 10 million views. That says a lot. 

If you look at the officially released singles by GNR, this surely ranks the worst. Shadow of your love, even though an oldie, was far better than this. 

Amongst the couple of music heads and GNR heads I know, I haven’t heard anything positive about this track. “It’s a joke right” , “it’s not sexy” and “I turned it off after a minute, twice” were some of the comments made. 

I’m glad they got SOMETHING, out there, and I hope an album follows, but this track ain’t great.

(Again, only my take on it. Music is like food, what I eat others might not like and others eat what I might not like, it’s why there’s such a variety of music, all tastes are catered for, and absurd isn’t to my taste) 

Light my Fire has been mentioned by some posters in this thread @Pele is this a cover of the Doors track? I never thought of Guns covering this track, but I could see it being brilliant. I’m intrigued!!

• Like 2

The vocal timing is probably intentional, if only for the disorienting effect. The same goes for the lyrical tone and the repetitions.

It's sort of easy think of the song as Axl giving some poor lady a hard time. The overall effect is a bit like an earful from a raging lunatic.

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My point is: when Axl played new music, then went silent (back in 2003 - 2005) we had everyone and their brother pop up to tell us about allllll this "insider" info they had. None of it ever came true.

The same exact scenario is playing out now. Axl surprised released a new single, yet none of these people with super super reliable sources told us it was coming. However, they're certainly able to play their "insider card" now to tell a bunch of things that could happen? 

It's literally the exact same thing that happened on forum 18 years ago! At least it was entertaining back then. Now it's just a retread of something that was worn out a long, long time ago. 

You're probably right, and really, you've got a good point.  Our only saving grace is that this person was someone who otherwise wouldn't be posting if GNR hadn't put out a new track a couple weeks ago.  If it pans out, they're a hero.  If not, no sweat, they disappear just as quickly as they came in with all this info.  Time always tells, no one knows that better than us haha

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, RussTCB said:

Poorly worded on my part I guess. I wouldn't mean to suggest that we know listeners opinion on the track. My guess was that 1 million listens means people listened to it multiple times, suggesting that they like it. 

I reckon if GNR cared about numbers they would of put out a more classic sounding single worthy track. Absurd is ok but its not radio friendly and may not have appeal to much of their main audience. Its a good album track yes but no lead single.

Edited by vloors

• downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic
43 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

So your point is that if it was intentional, Axl would do it live, too, meaning that it can be done live?!

He is not even doing the scream at the start of the verses live and I believe that was intentional. So no, I do not believe that every intentional thing he does on a record means he can pull it off live. If he tried to sing Absurd the way they released it, he would miss words. He’s out of breath singing it even as it is.

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

@Powderfingerwow....I didn't realize the difference in numbers between GN'R and Iron Maiden. That really does say a lot. Sheesh! 

Yknow, it’s just YouTube, I’m not aware of Spotify, iTunes etc, etc. The numbers could be higher there.. The Maiden track also came out mid July, so it’s had some weeks on absurd, but.... to me it speaks volumes yeah. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, vloors said:

Absurd is ok but its not radio friendly and may not have appeal to much of their main audience. Its a good album track yes but no lead single.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say it is a good album track.. Maybe a b-side at best.. From what I have heard of Hard School it is a little better but still don't give a rats ass about hearing Guns N' Roses cover CD leftovers.. Maybe a couple of reworked songs or ideas but not these pretty much straight up covers..

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Light my Fire has been mentioned by some posters in this thread @Pele is this a cover of the Doors track? I never thought of Guns covering this track, but I could see it being brilliant. I’m intrigued!!

Axl sang a few lines of it live in 2006 (you can find it through google).

Then it started appearing in "insider" lists of recorded tracks. It's unknown whether an to what extent these lists are based on any real sources or they're just made up.

• Like 1