DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Crazy to think that if DJ is to be believed, there is an alternate reality where after Slash's solo set, DJ later on would come on stage for his solo spot and play Ballad of Death every night

just guessing, but I think DJ, with how most of the Gn'R fanbase didn't really connect with him, was never going to share a stage with Slash in a Gn'R show and be exposed like that for comparison between the two and to possibly piss bottles thrown at him nightly and possibly also molotov cocktails.

Edited by Rovim
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

just guessing, but I think DJ, with how most of the Gn'R fanbase didn't really connected with him, was ever going to share a stage with Slash in a Gn'R show and being exposed like that for comparison between the two and to possibly piss bottles thrown at him nightly and possibly also molotov cocktails.

He said as much himself when he said, "at that point, its best I go do what I'm really good at doing":

Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it. I couldn’t be more happy for it happening. I was stoked to find out about it, people have got to remember, If I wasn’t a fan of the band, I wouldn’t have joined the band. I have great admiration for Axl, Slash and Duff and, Steven, Izzy and everybodys put into that thing. I have even more respect now after playing in the band for so many years. I couldn’t be more happy, I’m just a biggest fan as I’ve always been, I’m so happy for the fans that they get to go out there and see at least half of the band reunited, its a big deal. This is what the fans have been wanting, me included in that. I just didnt feel like it was my place. If Slash has come back, I couldnt be more happy, this is great. At that point, its best I go do what I’m really good at doing. Its kind of the best of both worlds, I get to have my favorite band back and I get to go play in my favorite band again. Its a win win.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Robin would be the guy though. For me Richard doesn't quite nail the CD solos (for me), he plays the notes but I don't get the same feeling from his playing of them. I think his shining live solo was in November rain, that really suited his style, but it would be insane for him to play that lead with Slash 10ft away😄

I honestly thought Richards playing of the November rain solo was appalling. No feel at all to me.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

just guessing, but I think DJ, with how most of the Gn'R fanbase didn't really connect with him

Never understood this. DJ was by far the most popular member of NUGNR with the crowds at gigs, and on social media. It was literally only on this forum where he was derided by the majority. he always got the biggest reception (besides Axl) from the crowd. He also has the biggest 'celebrity' and also due to his work with motley was probably the best musical fit with classic GnR. Of course he was nowhere near the musician as some of the other members Axl had, but i feel coz he wore a top hat, came across slightly emo and dared to use GnR to further his own brand, Mygnr must forever hate and shit on him. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Never understood this. DJ was by far the most popular member of NUGNR with the crowds at gigs, and on social media. It was literally only on this forum where he was derided by the majority. he always got the biggest reception (besides Axl) from the crowd. He also has the biggest 'celebrity' and also due to his work with motley was probably the best musical fit with classic GnR. Of course he was nowhere near the musician as some of the other members Axl had, but i feel coz he wore a top hat, came across slightly emo and dared to use GnR to further his own brand, Mygnr must forever hate and shit on him. 

I think Axl was more popular, but I don't hate DJ, I just think that other than the casual fans, which I get are most Gn'R fans, the hardcore fans didn't embrace DJ as a real part of Gn'R. I don't think he was a good fit for the band personally, and he seems to be more style than substance.

maybe it's my own flawed perception of what I expect a Gn'R guitar player to be able to bring to the table, but I think he just wasn't good enough to join Gn'R, or at least I think there were probably many other guitar players that could have been a better fit.

if you compare Fortus and how he fits in Gn'R and accepted, maybe my opinion will become clearer. I do believe he could have created a good Gn'R album with Axl and his image was more in line with Gn'R compared, say, to Bumble.

in general, I think every lead guitar player must have an x factor about them, cause Slash preceded all those players before the reunion. Bucket, Robin, and Bumble all brought something unique to them, even with some limitations they had, while DJ had a good ear for melody and his '80's image if we're talking live shows.

his ability to write a catchy tune in retrospect wasn't relevant as Axl chose to not use any of it in the end, but yeah, casuals seem to didn't mind DJ and even like him.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DK6 said:

I honestly thought Richards playing of the November rain solo was appalling. No feel at all to me.  

I actually prefer it over current day Slash. Bending it tune, tight technique and a nice feel in my opinion. Not 100% to the studio version, but kept it stylistically appropriate... At least to my recollection of it, it has been a minute since I watched him play it.

• Like 1

It’s funny, for how much DJ gets ripped on for being not that great at guitar, his solo section that he did in Estranged, he played better than Slash currently does with that section himself. 

I think with DJ being a fan of the band like he says he was, he knows how much certain melodies that Slash played were held in such high regard, especially in songs like Estranged. And I thought he did a great job playing some of that stuff to the best of his abilities. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

It’s funny, for how much DJ gets ripped on for being not that great at guitar, his solo section that he did in Estranged, he played better than Slash currently does with that section himself. 

I think with DJ being a fan of the band like he says he was, he knows how much certain melodies that Slash played were held in such high regard, especially in songs like Estranged. And I thought he did a great job playing some of that stuff to the best of his abilities. 

he definitely did the Chinese democracy stuff better than slash to, especially this i love which DJ played fantastically. His new GDM stuff is utter shite though. 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

That's because as much as there were things about DJ i didn't like the one thing you have to give him is he tried, and sometimes Slash doesn't give of the vibe he cares enough to.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He wasn't that bad. He genuinely did his very best while in the band, was very enthusiastic, made lots of efforts to get the band making new music, was very nice to fans. He was a fan who suddenly got promoted to star. There was something sympathetic about all that. But then he looked like a tool and was a bit silly when he acted all rock star, probably because he tried a bit too hard, and he couldn't really nail all the guitar parts (he is not a bad guitar player, but next to Bumblefoot and Richard he came across as one). Giving someone shit because they aren't the best on guitar seems a bit petty to me. He also gradually realized that lots of fans despised him and that hit him hard and eventually made him throw in his hat when a reunion was forming, and he will always have my respect for that. After leaving he was always gracious towards the band and his time in GN'R. 

Some of this is true. He was a nice guy and tried hard with the fans both online and in person.

He also looked like a tool 

As for his playing ability. He started off ok, but by the time those final tours rolled around his playing had deteriorated. IF he was nailing it, I wouldn't care if he was on stage in a dress. He just wasn't putting the hours in and he slipped, and I don't really respect that when he's got a gig most players would die for... And he has Richard/Bumble nailing their parts.

As for the reunion. I mean I know that's what he says. But I believe he saw the writing on the wall that he was surplus to requirements, he was not going to be lead guitar anymore, he wouldn't be writing songs for gnr and he would be far less positioned in the spotlight diminishing his ability to leverage for endorsements etc.... So he released a statement ahead of time so that he didn't appear to be fired. I believe Axl offered him the gig though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

As for the reunion. I mean I know that's what he says. But I believe he saw the writing on the wall that he was surplus to requirements, he was not going to be lead guitar anymore, he wouldn't be writing songs for gnr and he would be far less positioned in the spotlight diminishing his ability to leverage for endorsements etc.... So he released a statement ahead of time so that he didn't appear to be fired. I believe Axl offered him the gig though.

I would imagine this is the closest to reality. For what it's worth, at the time it was all going down, MSL said one of Slash's biggest "no compromise" positions when they all came to the negotiating table was that he would not be part of a three guitar lineup (and apparently one of Axl's was that Matt was not going to be involved as anything other than a guest). I'm sure all of the above are true, and DJ probably had a feeling it would come to a point where Axl had to make the decision to let DJ go to get Slash.

59 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I would imagine this is the closest to reality. For what it's worth, at the time it was all going down, MSL said one of Slash's biggest "no compromise" positions when they all came to the negotiating table was that he would not be part of a three guitar lineup (and apparently one of Axl's was that Matt was not going to be involved as anything other than a guest). 

Well I'm not so sure if Slash would not compromise the 3 guitar lineup thing if Izzy accepted the offer.

What would he gonna do? Make Izzy plays the Chinese parts Fortus plays?

He stuck with Frank didnt he?

Do we know if Axl offered the gig instead of Richard?  bc it would just look silly having dj, Richard, Slash and possibly Izzy (at times) up on stage.  

I wouldn't do a 3 guitar thing either- that would truly justify that Slash and Duff joined nu-guns rather than a rejoining a band they both helped found.  

35 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

Do we know if Axl offered the gig instead of Richard?  bc it would just look silly having dj, Richard, Slash and possibly Izzy (at times) up on stage.  

I wouldn't do a 3 guitar thing either- that would truly justify that Slash and Duff joined nu-guns rather than a rejoining a band they both helped found.  

They 100% did join nugnr, Duff moreso considering he toured with them in 2014 and more than likely would have replaced Tommy full time if it came to it... But hard to say for sure consider Duff would almost certainly not make such a comment.

As for 3 guitars as well as Izzy. I mean it wasn't a complete clusterfuck when they did it in 2012... But yeah, 4 guitars for gnr is just too many. I personally loved the 3 guitar thing, but it took a minute to get it right.

12 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

Its what they did  with dizzy and Melissa... 

And Duff had already joined NU GNR with 3 guitars, pittman etc

21 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

Come on. There's no way Axl would even consider replacing Richard even with Izzy. Unless Richard wanted to leave. And I can't imagine Izzy doing anything more than guest appearances or a limited number of shows. I also can't imagine Izzy being interested in playing Chinese Democracy songs.

As to the general thread. I suspect Axl asked DJ to stay knowing he'd say no. DJ did his best during his time in the band and stepped aside when it was time too. So no hate from me.

• Like 1