DJ Ashba was approached to join the NITL Tour

9 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

I have been an Ashba fan since the Beautiful Creatures days and the new music is absolutely horrible! Not sure who is into EDM but at this point in 2021 it has no place!  Maybe in like 2010 lol!

There's lots of great edm in 2021.  Not from ashba but it's lit there lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, I have seen both DJ and Slash in GNR live and at least the two 2016 shows I caught, I got way more feeling from Slash's improv.  Maybe I just caught him on two good nights in a row, but I found his improv both more technically impressive and emotive than Ashba's take on it all personally as a guitar player

At least with Slash’s improv, there is a chance of the solo turning out well. Ashba was an embarrassment. 

I’m not a fan of his music, but objectively he is a successful songwriter with Sixx:AM. But as a lead guitar player in a world touring band, particularly playing the guitar parts of one of the most iconic and legendary guitarists in rock n roll, I mean I’ve seen kids with epiphone les pauls and first act combo amps play Slash solos better. To this day I do not understand the calculus of him being in the band. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

At least with Slash’s improv, there is a chance of the solo turning out well. Ashba was an embarrassment. 

I’m not a fan of his music, but objectively he is a successful songwriter with Sixx:AM. But as a lead guitar player in a world touring band, particularly playing the guitar parts of one of the most iconic and legendary guitarists in rock n roll, I mean I’ve seen kids with epiphone les pauls and first act combo amps play Slash solos better. To this day I do not understand the calculus of him being in the band. 

I think when he joined he had some credibility of being from Sixx AM and he seemed to fit the part. I'm sure he's also a nice guy who gets along with Axl and they really needed someone to replace Robin.  He is a classic rock type guy so he fit the band image a little better than a guy with a bucket on his head.

Problem is he just wasn't talented enough.  The band would have been better off with just Richard and Bumble honestly, and I think the other problem is as time went on and we got to 2012 - 2014 I think it would have been hard to find a replacement.  The band was playing really small venues at that point, clearly wasn't releasing music, and was just in a bad spot commercially.  Removing Ashba and bringing in some no name who would take the job probably would have looked bad you know? 

Idk.  Looking back at everything I really loved Robin and Bucket, but the DJ/Bumblefoot years leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Ron was fine but whatever

27 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I think when he joined he had some credibility of being from Sixx AM and he seemed to fit the part. I'm sure he's also a nice guy who gets along with Axl and they really needed someone to replace Robin.  He is a classic rock type guy so he fit the band image a little better than a guy with a bucket on his head.

Problem is he just wasn't talented enough.  The band would have been better off with just Richard and Bumble honestly, and I think the other problem is as time went on and we got to 2012 - 2014 I think it would have been hard to find a replacement.  The band was playing really small venues at that point, clearly wasn't releasing music, and was just in a bad spot commercially.  Removing Ashba and bringing in some no name who would take the job probably would have looked bad you know? 

Idk.  Looking back at everything I really loved Robin and Bucket, but the DJ/Bumblefoot years leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Ron was fine but whatever

It is unfortunate for Ron that his tenure in the band was marred by Ashba's mediocrity. I have a feeling if Finck had remained or if they had found a better replacement, 09-14 would be remembered a lot more fondly by the fanbase than it currently is. Ashba single-handedly managed to make the band look cheap and tacky. 

I don't even blame Ashba, he was just taking the opportunity of a lifetime. Axl's the one at fault. He gave Ashba the gig without even listening to how he fit in with the rest of the band. How can you go from the world class brilliance of virutosos like Bucket and Ron to a guy who can't even complete the entire SCOM solo? That shits on Axl and Axl alone.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh, I have no clue. Tried to search for it on YouTube, but didn't find anything. But you're not missing anything, really.

It was like an interview with the sound guys, and we could hear a bit of the instrumental version of SCOM. It was supposed to be something for the mid-2009 tour with Van Halen, I guess, which obviously didn't happen.

I remember searching for that clip myself but without luck. It was our first little bit of GNR-music with DJ on it and quite a few people were very open minded towards him because of his work with Beautiful Creatures. Then this soundguy-clip happened and I remember him talking about mixing a three-guitar-band and putting each guitarist on solo, muting the others. Ron was described as a very tasteful guitar player, playing little fills along the verses. Then the main-solo happened and well... It was a good decision to abandon the plan of letting DJ play the whole thing. It was already assumed, that the soundguy could get in trouble for posting that clip and it was quickly removed.

As it was often stated. I simply will never understand from a players point of view, how DJ with his skills was ever a guitarist in GNR given that in my opinion even fan-guitarists could outplay him everyday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It is unfortunate for Ron that his tenure in the band was marred by Ashba's mediocrity. I have a feeling if Finck had remained or if they had found a better replacement, 09-14 would be remembered a lot more fondly by the fanbase than it currently is. Ashba single-handedly managed to make the band look cheap and tacky. 

I’d say Axl singlehandedly managed that by continuing a pointless tour with more or less the same songs, smaller and smaller venues, worsening voice, without releasing anything but that DVD and failing to deliver the CD follow-up, which could have been out in a few years and instead of which we got yet another “Up Close and Personal” etc.
You know, something like now. 
I wouldn’t have had a problem with DJ in the band as long as there was new music and exciting tours with heavy promotion. None of that happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I’d say Axl singlehandedly managed that by continuing a pointless tour with more or less the same songs, smaller and smaller venues, worsening voice, without releasing anything but that DVD and failing to deliver the CD follow-up, which could have been out in a few years and instead of which we got yet another “Up Close and Personal” etc.
I wouldn’t have had a problem with DJ in the band as long as there was new music and exciting tours with heavy promotion. None of that happened.

You'd have wanted a new Guns album with Ashba on lead? I think even Axl wasn't crazy enough to make that a reality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

You'd have wanted a new Guns album with Ashba on lead? I think even Axl wasn't crazy enough to make that a reality.

With Ron on lead and DJ as the second guitar (plus 4tus was there). Like Slash and 4tus now. It could have been done by 2012 or whatever. 

Edited by jamillos

Just now, jamillos said:

With Ron on lead and DJ as the second guitar. Like Slash and 4tus now. It could have been done by 2012 or whatever. 

I liked Ron on Chinese, and would've welcomed an album with him, but in hindsight, I'm grateful Ashba never played on a GNR record. He just wasn't up to it.

• Like 2

Just now, Towelie said:

I liked Ron on Chinese, and would've welcomed an album with him, but in hindsight, I'm grateful Ashba never played on a GNR record. He just wasn't up to it.

That's not the point, though. DJ could have just played the new songs live, like he did with the CD songs. The second album had already been done anyway. I'm talking about releasing things and moving on instead of prolongation of the CD tour. That was a way worse move than having DJ in the band (who could get fired any time Axl wanted to, after all). DJ was an expendable asset. 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

That's not the point, though. DJ could have just played the new songs live, like he did with the CD songs. The second album had already been done anyway. I'm talking about releasing things and moving on instead of prolongation of the CD tour. That was a way worse move than having DJ in the band (who could get fired any time Axl wanted to, after all). DJ was an expendable asset. 

Yeah, but something tells me Axl didn't have the heart to just fire DJ for sucking. And he sure as shit didn't wanna make an album with him, hence the reunion. 

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, but something tells me Axl didn't have the heart to just fire DJ for sucking. And he sure as shit didn't wanna make an album with him, hence the reunion. 

He could have released CD II with minor additions like he did on CD. Ron added some guitars, Frank some drumming... this would have been feasible. And Axl surely didn't orchestrate the reunion because of DJ (whatever his status was at whatever time Axl decided to do this). 

46 minutes ago, jamillos said:

He could have released CD II with minor additions like he did on CD. Ron added some guitars, Frank some drumming... this would have been feasible. And Axl surely didn't orchestrate the reunion because of DJ (whatever his status was at whatever time Axl decided to do this). 

I'm sure Axl's lack of inspiration during the 09-14 years had something to do with the reunion happening.

6 hours ago, Lipfel2 said:

I remember searching for that clip myself but without luck. It was our first little bit of GNR-music with DJ on it and quite a few people were very open minded towards him because of his work with Beautiful Creatures. Then this soundguy-clip happened and I remember him talking about mixing a three-guitar-band and putting each guitarist on solo, muting the others. Ron was described as a very tasteful guitar player, playing little fills along the verses. Then the main-solo happened and well... It was a good decision to abandon the plan of letting DJ play the whole thing. It was already assumed, that the soundguy could get in trouble for posting that clip and it was quickly removed.

As it was often stated. I simply will never understand from a players point of view, how DJ with his skills was ever a guitarist in GNR given that in my opinion even fan-guitarists could outplay him everyday.

Indeed, that was a very nice interview actually. And we were starving for info about touring after the CD release. But the whole thing blew up with the VH tour. 

I don't even like to consider this, but had Axl waited before calling DJ to join the band, I think Robin would still be open to return as he wasn't really touring with NIN at the end of 2009, as far as I remember. But maybe the assumption of hitting the road with GNR for several years more didn't appeal to Robin anyways, and he would rather stick with Trent. Who knows. I just think I felt Robin's departure a lot more than Bucket's, even though I've been way more into Bucket's stuff nowadays.

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I feel exactly the same. I'm sure Axl knew there were a lot of guitarists who were more than capable of playing what DJ had to play, but he needed someone with more credentials and a name in the industry. Surely everything felt apart after that and DJ lost any credibility he would still have. 

The best scenario to me was that Bucket had stayed in the band at least through 2007. Axl was on fire, and the whole band sounded more cohesive. Also, just imagine watching Better, IRS and TWAT with Bucket still there.

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

Agreed. I was such a hardcore fan back then, listened to all the bootlegs, was super hyped about everything with the band. After Ashba joined, I lost a lot of interest. I was really afraid they would release something with him instead of any other previous GNR guitarist. Hell, I'm still afraid Axl could pull off some Ashba shit from the vault and paste it together with Slash now.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

don't even like to consider this, but had Axl waited before calling DJ to join the band, I think Robin would still be open to return as he wasn't really touring with NIN at the end of 2009, as far as I remember. But maybe the assumption of hitting the road with GNR for several years more didn't appeal to Robin anyways, and he would rather stick with Trent. Who knows. I just think I felt Robin's departure a lot more than Bucket's, even though I've been way more into Bucket's stuff nowadays.

I have wondered if Robin was fine with Bumblefoot being added on CD or he had a problem with it. Since he doesn't talk at all, we'll never know.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have wondered if Robin was fine with Bumblefoot being added on CD or he had a problem with it. Since he doesn't talk at all, we'll never know.

I guess he was. Bumble even went to a NIN show and hangout with Robin a bit. He said they were more friendly back then. 

As far as we know, Bumble didn't get to replace much of Robin's work besides Riad. Well, unless Shackler's and Scraped solo section were also divided between Robin and Bucket (there's some chords/riff changes on the rhythm for both songs that may suggest this possibility).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Indeed, that was a very nice interview actually. And we were starving for info about touring after the CD release. But the whole thing blew up with the VH tour. 

I don't even like to consider this, but had Axl waited before calling DJ to join the band, I think Robin would still be open to return as he wasn't really touring with NIN at the end of 2009, as far as I remember. But maybe the assumption of hitting the road with GNR for several years more didn't appeal to Robin anyways, and he would rather stick with Trent. Who knows. I just think I felt Robin's departure a lot more than Bucket's, even though I've been way more into Bucket's stuff nowadays.

I feel exactly the same. I'm sure Axl knew there were a lot of guitarists who were more than capable of playing what DJ had to play, but he needed someone with more credentials and a name in the industry. Surely everything felt apart after that and DJ lost any credibility he would still have. 

The best scenario to me was that Bucket had stayed in the band at least through 2007. Axl was on fire, and the whole band sounded more cohesive. Also, just imagine watching Better, IRS and TWAT with Bucket still there.

Agreed. I was such a hardcore fan back then, listened to all the bootlegs, was super hyped about everything with the band. After Ashba joined, I lost a lot of interest. I was really afraid they would release something with him instead of any other previous GNR guitarist. Hell, I'm still afraid Axl could pull off some Ashba shit from the vault and paste it together with Slash now.

Man 2006 Axl with Bucket live has got to be the #1 wish it could have happened moments in GnR history .... Those performances would be something else .... Just hearing Bucket do his TWAT solo live is my #1 GnR fantasy I'll never see happen

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, GNFNRUK said:

I know Ashba gets a bad rep, but the fact remains that he played Robin’s CD solos live a lot better than how Slash is playing them. In particular ‘This I Love’ which Slash has reduced to emotionless noodling improv that goes nowhere. Perhaps that was why Ashba was invited back? Just to play the solos that Slash is either incapable of or refuses to learn?

I want to point out that I’m not some massive Ashba fan, his showboating on stage made me cringe and I’ve never listened to his work outside Guns. I’m just giving an honest opinion on his playing of ChiDem material compared to Slash.

Nope. Slash does fine on most CD songs and I’d take Slash’s TiL over DJs. If that was an issue, Richard could do all the parts

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Nope. Slash does fine on most CD songs and I’d take Slash’s TiL over DJs. If that was an issue, Richard could do all the parts

The only song DJ did really well on IMO is Sorry. I know it's not the most techinal Bucket solo, but DJ nailed it every time from what I remember. 

I still think Slash not writing a proper solo for TiL was one of the saddest parts of the reunion. DJ was able to get the general feel of the solo better than Slash, but his guitar tone or just feel was so off to me for some reason. As stands on TiL, I'm Finck>Ashba>Slash. It shouldn't be that way though. If Slash wanted to write a solo for it he would easily surpass Ashba. I wonder what it was for Slash that made him just use it as a solo spot- did he not like the song? Was it laziness? Was it a F U? 

• Like 1

I would love to see a three guitar player Band with Slash, Robin and Richard.  

Robin and Richard could split the lead guitars for the CD songs (like they did before Bumble joined) and Slash could still have the spotlight for the other songs. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1