Favorite studio and live line ups

What's everyone's favorite line ups both studio and live?

For me whilst I love the variety of the Illusion albums it's gotta be: Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven. Appetite is magic and everything clicks. Same with Lies. Slash and Izzy's guitars mesh perfectly. Close second is: Axl/Dizzy/Duff/Slash/Izzy/Matt and the Illusions.

I was gutted when Izzy left and couldn't imagine anyone being able to take his place. Then I got the Illusion/Tokyo videos. I saw Gilby's lead guitar intros to Don't Cry and Patience. His trading licks with Slash on Wild Horses. So my favorite live line up is: Axl/Dizzy/Duff/Slash/Matt/Gilby. I still think this line up could've made a great album.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

It’s tough to say since the CD era doesn’t have a definitive studio lineup. I really loved the players on the ‘99 discs. However I think nothing beats UYI lineup for me overall in a studio.

Live it’s probably Axl/Dizzy/Pitman/Brain/Bumble/Finck/Stinson/Fortus. The 2002 lineup instrumentally is a bit better but Axl’s voice kinda takes me out of it a bit, so I preferred this lineup. The NITL lineup is pretty damn good as well. 

15 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Gunner Gilby My favourite line ups are the same as yours:)

Thanks. I've got respect for all line ups. But to me Paul Tobias and Chris Pitman are my least favorite members. Maybe Paul's a good co songwriter and could've stayed just that. He took the spot of Gilby who unlike Paul has written and recorded lots of awesome albums (solo/Candy/Kill For Thrills/Rockstar Supernova/Col Parker/Snakepit). Gilby's a semi in demand live and session guitarist and producer. What's Paul done? Some unreleased Mank Rage songs. Played live with Guns what 2 to 4 shows then quit. Yeah that was really worth losing Gilby then Slash Duff and Matt for. Not.

Then there's towel boy Pitman and his sub bass and whatever the fuck else he did. No thanks. I'm good with just Dizzy. Maybe Teddy or Melissa helping out on stage if needed. 

I dig Buckethead as a guitarist. But I could never take seriously a guy with an upside down KFC bucket on his head. It made Guns look like a joke.

• Like 2

AFD5 are untouched on No 1

UYI is closed second

Despite Axl's vocals on third place I prefer the reunion line up live and I hope they'll show us their studio capabilities soon.

Couldn't enjoy Finck, Bucket or Bumble let alone DJ and Pitman even though the guitarists did some magic here and there on CD.

Studio:

1. Appetite/Lies.

2. First UYI lineup (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt, Dizzy).

I don't count CD, because there wasn't a CD studio lineup/band but it was rather a long project that involved a revolving door of musicians.

Live:

1. Appetite/Lies.

2. First UYI/1991 with Izzy (exciting shows, setlist variation).

3. Second UYI/Dec. 1991-1993 (some great shows in late '91/early '92 and NA '93 - the rest good, but I'm not the biggest fan of the '92 big band/production and the Euro '93 shows were a bit stale) .

4. Current (although Axl hasn't always sounded good).

5. NuGnR I/2001-2002 (Axl was not in good form for the most part, but the "freak show" lineup was interesting) and  NuGnR II/2006-2007 (Axl in great form, but less interesting band than in 2001-2002).

6. NuGnR III/2009-2014 (Axl sounded great in 2009-10, but that was the worst lineup ever).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Can never understand the love for the 2001 line up. It was a freakshow of people that hardly had any actual interest in Guns N Roses. 

They only played a handful of shows on a bizarre tour before it was cancelled and that band ended. 

I guess it’s the freakshow/mysterious aspect that made it exciting… 

23 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Can never understand the love for the 2001 line up. It was a freakshow of people that hardly had any actual interest in Guns N Roses. 

They only played a handful of shows on a bizarre tour before it was cancelled and that band ended. 

They were for the most part responsible for creating the nucleus of Chinese Democracy. Fantastic renditions of the classics and new songs with a lot of energy and Axl at the very minimum provided studio quality vocals during that House of Blues show. Rio has my favourite versions of a number of GNR songs, mainly November Rain, The Blues, Madagascar, Patience, Paradise City among others.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Agreed. That isn't GNR to me. Great musicians sure, but they were mainly playing other people's material. Had those line ups done more then maybe I could see the attraction. 

• Like 2