Hard Skool Live !

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I said this in the show thread but I've been Team AXL for 20 years and I'm as pro-Axl in anything he does as a person can be....

But his voice is what it is. It's been like this for years and we're constantly telling ourselves it'll get better but it doesn't. 

And their efforts towards new music have been to use whatever already has a 20 year old Axl vocal track on it.

But the thing is we know he can still bring it just look at the AC/DC shows.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Hard Skool unfortunately exemplifies the fact that Axl’s mid range is gone. It’s just not coming back. I think he’s doing good with what he has left in the tank.

Yeah, but even as far back as 2009 his mid-range was shot. Remember how much he struggled singing the relatively easy-to-sing verses to TWAT??

Just now, Snytefant said:

Oh god. I just got the link from my brother. I laughed, LOUD! This is so bad. How does he allow himself do this? I do not understand it. The yes men need to be stopped asap. People are paying top dollar to see this man.

Maybe you havent been following recent shows, but this was far from one of his worse vocal performances. 

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, but even as far back as 2009 his mid-range was shot. Remember how much he struggled singing the relatively easy-to-sing verses to TWAT??

Yeah true. 

I do still have confidence he can get it back if he took the right path. But more importantly I definitely think he could sing well in a studio setting still..... Sadly I can't see him stepping into one any time soon. 

Let’s ask anyone who was actually there what they think. I thought Axl sounded great tonight. There were moments, but this is way much better than Hershey and I’d say on par with or better with Atlantic City. Plus, he was very chatty tonight, and seemed to be really into it, leaving the stage less n less. 

• Like 3

Plus I thought you could be mine was pretty good tonight. Usually that’s one he struggles with. It was energetic and he didn’t miss any words like he did in Hershey. I honestly got goosebumps at one point. 
also for the record, I was stone cold sober at tonight’s show, so non of the have a few drinks and he sounds passable arguments. Each their own I guess, but to me, this was vocally, a good show for Axl in 2021

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

The whole point of releasing new music should be to give Axl something that he can sing today. Absurd succeeds at that but he doesn’t really sound any better on Hard Skool than You Could Be Mine.

That’s why I don’t want an album full of CD leftovers with 20 year old vocals and would rather at least get a mixture of old and new. 
Can you imagine having a tour to promote a new album just for Axl to either not sing half the songs or sing them bad because he isn’t capable of singing the “new “ songs anymore? It could be embarrassing. I really hope I’m wrong and over reacting 

Ultimately the song was unreleased, and they had all this time to change the key of the song to fit his current voice. They didn't, probably because Axl really wanted to use his original vocals and not be forced to re-record them either out of lazyness or he thought they were perfect. Since GNR also refuse to tune down live for some reason even on songs that are clearly too hard for Axl like YCBM, here we are with Axl not being able to sing their new single the way it came out in 2021.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

26 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Placing '99 vocals on new tracks  - great for studio versions, not a big favor to himslef during live...

Live it might be dodgy but I’d still much rather have top notch 99 vocals on the studio version as opposed to anything more recent.

Basically I’d take excellent 99 vocals on studio and ok live ones versus ok new vocals on studio and live. 🤣

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Live it might be dodgy but I’d still much rather have top notch 99 vocals on the studio version as opposed to anything more recent.

Basically I’d take excellent 99 vocals on studio and ok live ones versus ok new vocals on studio and live. 🤣

Well, considering fact that I'll see them live once or never again, I agree with you. I'll take excellent studio and lousy live against meh live and meh studio also... you may call me selfish, but don't really care 😂

4 hours ago, Packersfan#4#12 said:

But the thing is we know he can still bring it just look at the AC/DC shows.

Whilst it's true he sounded amazing then, that was over 5 years ago now. that's a long time. 54 years old - nearly 60. he last sounded incredible with GnR on a consistent basis in 2010. that's 11 years ago. give me 99, 2000, 2006 vocals on all studio recordings. that's the axl we love and that's the axl that should be remembered when people listen back in years to come. the live shows are to enjoy in the moment, he will never be a good live singer again. 

6 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Whilst it's true he sounded amazing then, that was over 5 years ago now. that's a long time. 54 years old - nearly 60. he last sounded incredible with GnR on a consistent basis in 2010. that's 11 years ago. give me 99, 2000, 2006 vocals on all studio recordings. that's the axl we love and that's the axl that should be remembered when people listen back in years to come. the live shows are to enjoy in the moment, he will never be a good live singer again. 

99% agreed - I docked a single % just for the fact he occasionally is a good live singer (depending on when in the tour you catch him and then on specific songs).

But you are bang on the money - it’s all about the studio stuff as that’s what people will look back at. So use the top notch stuff that’s been on ice for 20 years - absolutely no complaints from me.

When I see them next year I’m not daft enough to expect a vocal masterclass - I will see and hear a cracking rock show where certain songs won’t quite hit but others will be on the money and I’ll be having a good time. That’s what matters really.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

99% agreed - I docked a single % just for the fact he occasionally is a good live singer (depending on when in the tour you catch him and then on specific songs).

But you are bang on the money - it’s all about the studio stuff as that’s what people will look back at. So use the top notch stuff that’s been on ice for 20 years - absolutely no complaints from me.

Haha fair enough - he does still sound good on all low register songs and witchita lineman. And tbh live at the gig, he sounds better than on any recording.