Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Since Trump announced two drugs that the doctors will use against the virus a few people have gotten it and taken them and died.

How the fuck do you get controlled drugs and why would you self medicate without a doctor's consent or if you even know you have the virus? 

And the ebay sellers who are charging so much for shipping 4 rolls of toilet paper should be arrested and thrown off ebay for life. Bastards!

Walmart has gotten toilet paper and paper plates now. Still hard to get meat, but I'm still trying. I hope things will get better on the supermarket front soon.

53 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Germany has the highest rates of death in Europe. I saw it on World news. Not sure if this is correct. Don't know anyone in Germany.

Yeah, Spain is bad now. The UK has made a shelter at home now too. It's the only way to keep people safe.

Another county in Texas is sheltering in place now beginning tonight. If the police catch you not complying, it's a $1000 fine. A lot of counties don't want anyone going out of their cities either.

Stay safe people.

Italy has the most deaths, then Spain, then France and then Holland, if i'm not mistaken.

Germany has a lot confirmed infected, but not that many deaths, 'only' 156. They've just been testing a lot more than most countries, it seems. Germany is also taking in French and Italian patients, as those countries can't handle the many cases.

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

And the @SoulMonster Award for completely inappropriate comments goes to ................... :lol: 

missed opportunity to be even more inappropriate.

You could have responded with  "another thing the've taken away from us".

not that I know why you would do that though, I just thought of this response and found it hilarious.  hope I won't get banned now, Russ told me I seem to have a way to come into conflict with people :lol:

Edited by action

1 minute ago, action said:

anyway, this is a serious topic. More and more celebreties are joing in their efforts to make the public aware, even good ol MJ

Fat lot of good the mask did him in the end! :lol: 

• Haha 2

I've been following some modelling of the outbreak and found this author's assessment interesting:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Would be interested to get @SoulMonster's take on some of the projections and assessments included within.

TL;DR version: not a rosy picture if the US follows Trump's advice and tries to restart the economy by easter.  

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Germany has the highest rates of death in Europe. I saw it on World news. Not sure if this is correct. Don't know anyone in Germany.

Yeah, Spain is bad now. The UK has made a shelter at home now too. It's the only way to keep people safe.

Another county in Texas is sheltering in place now beginning tonight. If the police catch you not complying, it's a $1000 fine. A lot of counties don't want anyone going out of their cities either.

Stay safe people.

I live there, Germany has 30k infected with around 100 deaths, but Spain has 40k infected with 2,8k deaths. The news from Madrid are really horrible

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think any tours are happening anywhere until fall at the absolute earliest. 

There seems to be zero end in sight for anything to do with this virus. 

There is expected to be a resurgence of the virus in the fall, so tours or large sporting events feel unlikely. I doubt there will be an NFL season. Imagine packing 50-80k people into one event. 

20 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There is expected to be a resurgence of the virus in the fall, so tours or large sporting events feel unlikely. I doubt there will be an NFL season. Imagine packing 50-80k people into one event. 

Wow, I hadn't heard anything about a resurgence in the fall. What's the source on that? Not doubting you, I would just like to get up to speed. 

I wonder how it's going to work when everybody else has beaten this while the US is still a bloodbath. I can just imagine Trump's response when all the other countries impose travel bans from the US to prevent reinfection. Fuck, Mexico might finally decide to pay for the wall. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wow, I hadn't heard anything about a resurgence in the fall. What's the source on that? Not doubting you, I would just like to get up to speed. 

That bit of information is being labeled as premature, but it continues to pop up in articles. The articles state it will depend on US response, but so far our health care system has been exposed for what it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I wonder how it's going to work when everybody else has beaten this while the US is still a bloodbath. I can just imagine Trump's response when all the other countries impose travel bans from the US to prevent reinfection. Fuck, Mexico might finally decide to pay for the wall. :lol: 

It's the countries who impose strict social distancing that will take longer to beat it. They will control it, and handle it, but it will take much longer before herd immunity has been reached and life can go back to normal.

A country that doesn't impose social distancing will beat it sooner. It might be hell with a huge amount of infected at the same time, and this will likely result in mode deaths, but they will quickly develop herd immunity and can go back to normal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lio said:

Ohio and Texas are using corona to ban abortions :mellow: But apparently Ohio is protesting and hospitals say they'll still do abortions.

They can't even cut out the bullshit during a fucking pandemic. Despicable people.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, downzy said:

I've been following some modelling of the outbreak and found this author's assessment interesting:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Would be interested to get @SoulMonster's take on some of the projections and assessments included within.

TL;DR version: not a rosy picture if the US follows Trump's advice and tries to restart the economy by easter.  

I didn't agree completely with the chapter about mutations. It is of course true that corona virus mutates quickly, but that doesn't mean herd immunity can't be reached. Even with the influenza virus, if you have had it one year, you will likely not get it the next season even if it has mutated. Because it doesn't mutate sufficiently to dispel the immunity, it doesn't mutate so quickly that every season's virus is completely new to our immune systems. Some immunity will be reached. It is likely that is also the case for SARS-CoV-2.

As for his overall point of going for suppression and not just mitigation: I think this is what many countries are doing today. They look at their current estimated R and enforce measures that will bring it down to a level where the diseases is suppressed sufficiently and they can control it. The measures required depends on population density, demographics, maybe climate, and of course health care capacity. From this it is given that the measures can vary from country to country, yet they can achieve the same outcome: allowing the disease to spread without overwhelming the health care system. So measures in a densely populated city like New York may be harsher than in a more rural area, to achieve the same effect. So the hammer might need to hit harder some places than others.

Personally, I don't get the dance completely. I don't understand why the infection won't flare up again quite quickly as measures are relaxes, resulting in the measures having to be enforced again. He suggests that it is a dance between harsh measures and a more relaxed situation, I would think it would mostly be harsh measures. UNLESS, herd immunity is achieved quicker than expected. The author doesn't talk much about this when he discusses the dance, but based on data from China many experts now believe this is what happened there. Otherwise it is hard to explain why we don't see a resurgence of infected in Hubei now that life goes back to normal. More and more experts are calling for serum testing to find out how large % of the population has developed antibodies against the virus, which would indicate they have been infected previously and have now developed immunity. A research group in the UK believed that already 50 % of UK citizens have had the infection. If so, the thing will pass over much quicker than we expected. It would also mean that the  number of people who get infected without knowing it (no or very small symptoms), are much larger than we thought before. If so, we have been very lucky.

You can read more about this here: https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this graphic enlightening. It mentions number of deaths per million inhabitants, in the last column.

image.thumb.png.ca9a4a787efdd797d87ca3354725967c.png

Another thing I found out is that old people dying in retirement homes or at home, aren't counted in number of deaths, because they aren't tested for corona. From what I understand they are tested if more deaths occur in one retirement home suggesting corona. I suppose because dying people in retirement homes is such a common thing, it wouldn't really make a difference if they died of the flu, covid-19 or anything else.

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

More than 6k new cases in Spain. That's as bad as it got in Italy before they turned the tide. Will Spain manage to do it, too?

"Only" 5.5k today. Have they turned it around then? If so, both Italy and Spain peaked with 6.5-7.0k new cases per day before the numbers started to go down. I am crossing my fingers here.

Then the question would be, what is so significant about this number? The population of the countries are not that different 45-60m, maybe the number indicates the point in time when sufficient herd immunity has been established to slow down the spread, or maybe the measures taken are now giving a positive effect?

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

"Only" 5.5k today. Have they turned it around then? If so, both Italy and Spain peaked with 6.5-7.0k new cases per day before the numbers started to go down. I am crossing my fingers here.

Then the question would be, what is so significant about this number? The population of the countries are not that different 45-60m, maybe the number indicates the point in time when sufficient herd immunity has been established to slow down the spread, or maybe the measures taken are now giving a positive effect?

Paper here says 7000 new cases :shrugs:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It's the countries who impose strict social distancing that will take longer to beat it. They will control it, and handle it, but it will take much longer before herd immunity has been reached and life can go back to normal.

A country that doesn't impose social distancing will beat it sooner. It might be hell with a huge amount of infected at the same time, and this will likely result in mode deaths, but they will quickly develop herd immunity and can go back to normal.

This. I don't understand the extreme social distancing and locking stuff down.

To me it sounds like they hope the virus leaves by itself, which is ridiculous. 

I understand that it's a tough and painful decision to make, but letting it spread sounds like a better idea to me. A lockdown won't work if every country has it's own rules. All it takes is 1 sick person to get the ball rolling again. 

Immunity sounds like the only solution to me.

But I'm not an expert or anything. A lot of steps these countries take seem a bit silly to me.

Edited by UcudBmine