Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Yesterday Bolsonaro did the worst tv speech ever. Encouraged everyone to go back to work, school and reopen everything. He also said that is just a flu, and that he's athletic and nothing is going to happen to him (not that we care, btw). Everyone is schocked and we're fighting for his impeachment, even during these strange times. Our lucky here in Brazil is that nobody cares about Bolsonaro anymore, except his few fans, so nobody is going to hear him.   

• GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

This. I don't understand the extreme social distancing and locking stuff down.

To me it sounds like they hope the virus leaves by itself, which is ridiculous. 

I understand that it's a tough and painful decision to make, but letting it spread sounds like a better idea to me. A lockdown won't work if every country has it's own rules. All it takes is 1 sick person to get the ball rolling again. 

Immunity sounds like the only solution to me.

But I'm not an expert or anything. A lot of steps these countries take seem a bit silly to me.

I think the idea is to avoid the huge amount of infected people needing intensive care and ventilators at the same time, and to slow down the epidemic until a vaccine is developed. It's gonna be tough because it could lead to many months of harsh regulation, but you reduce the number of fatalities.

• Like 2

Oh, that's rough!!

Anyway, regarding the hammer and the dance. Hong Kong was one of the first countries to get the pandemic, and they started strong measures already in February after importing the disease from people from mainland China. Their efforts were successful and they successfully suppressed the disease very soon. In mid-March they started to loosen the measures and now they numbers of infected are increasingly rapidly, so they are imposing stricter regulations again. 

Not saying there is anything wrong with this, in fact I think it is the right way to go about it, just pointing out that the dance might be rather staccato and not very enjoyable. Until we either have a vaccine or have obtained more immunity. So the question to me is, how many such rounds must we expect before we can really dance for a while?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

I wonder how it's going to work when everybody else has beaten this while the US is still a bloodbath. I can just imagine Trump's response when all the other countries impose travel bans from the US to prevent reinfection. Fuck, Mexico might finally decide to pay for the wall. :lol: 

México's president is possibly handling this even worse than Trump - I sincerely hope that something in the air there slows the spread of the virus or means that the coming cases won't be as severe as in Spain and Italy but he's been actively advocating that people go out and live their lives as normal, visit family and be sure to hug and kiss them. He's recommended that for protection, they carry lucky amulets around with them (I'm not joking). México may be sleepwalking into a disaster for which it doesn't have the infrastructure to cope, I really hope that's not the case but I'm worried for a lot of loved ones right now.

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It's the countries who impose strict social distancing that will take longer to beat it. They will control it, and handle it, but it will take much longer before herd immunity has been reached and life can go back to normal.

A country that doesn't impose social distancing will beat it sooner. It might be hell with a huge amount of infected at the same time, and this will likely result in mode deaths, but they will quickly develop herd immunity and can go back to normal.

I mean, I think they know that, they're just trying to avoid the 'hell' scenario you've outlined (the complete overwhelming of health and other public services and probably an overall higher death toll) by 'flattening the curve' as all the graph users have told us, which makes it quite obvious at a glance that the situation is going to go on much longer than it would if you had a sharp, high peak and then a rapid fall away. 

11 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I mean, I think they know that, they're just trying to avoid the 'hell' scenario you've outlined (the complete overwhelming of health and other public services and probably an overall higher death toll) by 'flattening the curve' as all the graph users have told us, which makes it quite obvious at a glance that the situation is going to go on much longer than it would if you had a sharp, high peak and then a rapid fall away. 

Yeah, I am sure most governments know this too, it is just not very well communicated by media so some people here might not know it either. It is easy to think that if we can just impose these measures now, the storm will pass over our heads and it will be over.

19 minutes ago, Graeme said:

México's president is possibly handling this even worse than Trump - I sincerely hope that something in the air there slows the spread of the virus or means that the coming cases won't be as severe as in Spain and Italy but he's been actively advocating that people go out and live their lives as normal, visit family and be sure to hug and kiss them. He's recommended that for protection, they carry lucky amulets around with them (I'm not joking). México may be sleepwalking into a disaster for which it doesn't have the infrastructure to cope, I really hope that's not the case but I'm worried for a lot of loved ones right now.

We have a lot of family in Mexico and they don't seem to be concerned about it at all which is terrifying. Victoria's nephew is (was) studying in Colchester for a year and is delaying his return to Mexico until July which to be honest makes a lot of sense as I see it. At least we kind of know where we are with things here at the moment. It's not even started to hit over there in any meaningful way.

56 minutes ago, Dazey said:

We have a lot of family in Mexico and they don't seem to be concerned about it at all which is terrifying. Victoria's nephew is (was) studying in Colchester for a year and is delaying his return to Mexico until July which to be honest makes a lot of sense as I see it. At least we kind of know where we are with things here at the moment. It's not even started to hit over there in any meaningful way.

I have family in Mexico too...at least the governor of Durango is starting to take it seriously. He addressed the people to try and stay home but nothing is really mandated yet, which they need to do. They already have a death in Durango and it will worsen. My dad is in the high risk category and we have had many talks about self-isolating!

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think the idea is to avoid the huge amount of infected people needing intensive care and ventilators at the same time, and to slow down the epidemic until a vaccine is developed. It's gonna be tough because it could lead to many months of harsh regulation, but you reduce the number of fatalities.

According to that paper it is meant to buy time - time to test everything and anything. From vaccines to combination of antiviral drugs, etc. To increase the production of safety materials (masks, suits, etc.) and equipment. Right now many ideas are tested, e.g. 3d printing of ventilators and face protectors. As long as the health systems are not overwhelmed there is chance to prepare for the next "wave". Once all ICUs are full, and medical personnel gets sick (10% of the fatalities in Italy...) it might be too late. If health systems collapse people would be dying not because of especially severe symptoms but because of lack of equipment. Right now in Italy one doctor reported that they don't put those over 60 under ventilators... :( So that's why the "dance" makes sense... It's not an ideal measure (it's pretty bad actually, given all the costs) but it still seems like the best one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Prince Charles confirms hes tested POSITIVEA for Covid 19

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5245917/prince-charles-71-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Also MOT on UK cars has been dropped for 6 months new law just past

The Windsor’s has changed how I see Charles forever. (Don’t let him in the back doors Camila) 

A lot of states are cancelling the end of the school year.

Fort Worth, Texas has finally done the shelter in place now.

Also the stores have toilet paper and water. Finally got my chop meat. I think things in supermarkets will get better.

Now if only the numbers of people getting the virus would just go down.

I saw that Thailand is in bad shape now. Since no one knows for sure if this virus won't recure, I would be scared if I lived in Asia right now. Who knows if it could go back to China and South Korea again?

Glad the President of Japan realized the summer Olympics wouldn't happen this year. It would risk even more lives.

I also doubt America will be open for business by Easter. Trump is fooling himself. I'm going with the summer and be happy if this all ends before then, but who knows? It seems like forever since we've been living this way. I can't imagine ever getting back to normal.

Stay safe!

19 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

The Windsor’s has changed how I see Charles forever. (Don’t let him in the back doors Camila) 

Saw this today. I really hope the Queen stays healthy. I know she's 93, but it would be so terrible if she got this damn virus. Phillip too.

2 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Gov of NYC confirms its the worst effected U.S state its accelerating rapidly

Bojo too address UK LIVE on TV later this evening

Yeah, and from the news I've seen, no one is on the New York streets, so why is this shit keep spreading?

I know experts said this would be the worst week, but NYC seems to be worse than Italy and California. I guess it's because on any given day, New Yorkers are always walking around and taking the subways. I have friends and family there and I'm so worried and hope they all remain well.

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

I have family in Mexico too...at least the governor of Durango is starting to take it seriously. He addressed the people to try and stay home but nothing is really mandated yet, which they need to do. They already have a death in Durango and it will worsen. My dad is in the high risk category and we have had many talks about self-isolating!

Oh I hope your dad stays well. It's a very scary time for all of us. 

31 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I know experts said this would be the worst week, but NYC seems to be worse than Italy and California. I guess it's because on any given day, New Yorkers are always walking around and taking the subways. I have friends and family there and I'm so worried and hope they all remain well.

Yeah, this is pretty much what Governor Cuomo said today. New Yorkers walk a lot in the heart of the city. They ride packed subways and trains.

am I the only one feeling more free now, under lockdown and quarantaine, than back then when I needed to get out of bed at 7, go to work at 9 etc? 

my god, what a crazy twisted routine that was. that was slavery allright.

I'm making tent camps with my son these days, by putting two sofa's together, using blankets as the roof and his ninja spears as support. Almost looks like a bedouine camp.

call me when the virus is over or something

Edited by action

10 minutes ago, action said:

am I the only one feeling more free now, under lockdown and quarantaine, than back then when I needed to get out of bed at 7, go to work at 9 etc? 

my god, what a crazy twisted routine that was. that was slavery allright.

I'm making tent camps with my son these days, by putting two sofa's together, using blankets as the roof and his ninja spears as support. Almost looks like a bedouine camp.

call me when the virus is over or something

I'm sure you're not the only one. Btw, was that a Brownstone reference?😊