Favorite "little" mixing decision on a GNR song, or specific effect/moment of sound design?

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

One of my all time favorite GNR moments is this segment of Locomotive, everything about it is fantastic.  The piano, the driving drum beat, the ambient wah pedal stuff Slash is busting out a bit lower in the mix while Axl's vocals are on top, etc.

This is one of my favorites too! I sometimes will rewind just that portion when listening to it haha

• Like 1

Goin' Down... Axl's vocals mix in the background. Never thought it matched well with Tommy at first, but now I love it.

The Blues... Original high pitched synth that's been removed from the official release.

One In a Million... Slash's guitar solo, so amazing.

Locomotive... Love's So Strange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irish Rose said:

Agree with this. It’s a great piece of music.

GNR were sued by a guy called Ulrich Schnauss for a sample GNR used on Riad. When I listened to Ulrich Schnauss music a lot of it is like the outro to prostitute. Worth a listen!

I still can't believe they thought they would get away with that.

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The synth and piano throughout the whole song is great.

Agreed.

The use of a harp on This I Love was also a super interesting choice. If someone was going to make argument that Axl is hard rock Brian Wilson the use of the harp on This I Love could be in the opening statement. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 2

Like someone already said, CD has a lot of those moments. I love the phase and synth effect layered into Robin's guitar on the Chinese intro when the riff gets stuck in the C# and C loop, right before the whole band starts. For the same reason, I really like how the synths adds a really heavy punch for the industrial-like power chords in Shackler's bridge. 

I also love the swipe effect on Hard Skool before Slash's slide solo. 

Mixing Axl's high pitched yell and Slash's bend for the beginning of WTTJ second solo was a pretty good decision too. 

Overall, I know people love Slash's tone in AFD, but I prefer the UYI studio sound. 

But my favorite GNR sound moment is...

16 hours ago, WhazUp said:

One of my all time favorite GNR moments is this segment of Locomotive, everything about it is fantastic.  The piano, the driving drum beat, the ambient wah pedal stuff Slash is busting out a bit lower in the mix while Axl's vocals are on top, etc.

14 hours ago, ryanf23 said:

This is one of my favorites too! I sometimes will rewind just that portion when listening to it haha

Fuck yeah! Slash's wah solo panning is genius, it really works perfectly with the wah sound itself - when Slash steps to close the pedal, the sound goes from left to right or right to left. IMHO, it's actually Axl's vocals that are "ambient", more like adding a layer to the instrumental part to shine.

The drums and bass are sooooo good too. It complements the mellow piano riff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 1:54 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

The deep voice at the beginning of Paradise City 

If you listen to very early live versions, thats how he sings it at the beginning. And they don't do the jangly intro, it just starts with the drumming and power chords bit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

@CubanSkies Dummycracks me up. If you put all of his posts in a binder, it would look something a school shooter would write. 

You cross the line. Your message was reported.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Where did you get that Josh Freese had anything to do with writing Prostitute?

SORRY. I WAS WRONG.

It's a Tobias song.

Edited by CubanSkies Dummy

8 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Just look on the booklet that came with the album. It's a Rose/Freese song.

No. It's "Rose/Tobias" on the released album artwork and just "Rose" in the alternate booklets.

On ASCAP Finck has a credit, too. According to the ASCAP credits it was written 90% by Axl and 10% by Tobias + Finck.

Since we're three pages deep, I'll only add what hasn't been mentioned:

- Many will probably say it's cheesy, but I love the sex sounds in "Rocket Queen" during the bridge.

- Duff saying "to the bar" at the end of "You Ain't the First."

- I love the synth "blaster" sounds in the beginning of Riad. Way more prevalent in the locker leaks. It seriously transforms the songs when they're up higher in the mix.

- The acoustic guitar in "There was a Time" is beautiful. If I remember right, I think it's even Axl playing it.

- The intro to "Welcome to the Jungle." And I don't mean the iconic start/stop riff that starts the song. I love the "oh my god" whisper followed by a continuous deep howl that Axl does. It ends a little before the first verse begins. Axl used to do this live too, but hasn't for years (to my knowledge). One of the best examples of this I can think of is the MTV VMA 88 performance. It just makes the song sound so fuckin' mean.

- The line "tomorrow never comes" buried in the mix in "Catcher in the Rye." Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. And it's creepy.

- The Dracula-sounding way Axl sings "I don't want to do eeet" in "Sorry."

- I don't think this lyric was in "The Blues," but in the coda for "Street of Dreams," rather than sing "What I tell ya" a second time, Axl sings "that's one more failure." And I am not sure why, but that always hit different for me.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

22 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

- I love the synth "blaster" sounds in the beginning of Riad. Way more prevalent in the locker leaks. It seriously transforms the songs when they're up higher in the mix.

I dig that too, honestly that whole intro with the synth bass and the funky guitar riff is IMO the best thing about Riad.  I like the intro better without the sound effects included from the final version and that synth bass hitting you right away loudly in the mix, as well

Edited by WhazUp

This is a slight twist to the topic but I love this also:

- that Double Talkin Jive was partially written about the song Patience and Izzy’s disgust of the success of that song at the time

- the lyrics Izzy wrote in Pretty Tied Up about some frustrations he had with the band and Axl singing the song seemingly not getting some lyrics were about guns n roses