Favorite "little" mixing decision on a GNR song, or specific effect/moment of sound design?

I don't know if these can be considered effects or mixing decisions, but I always liked the intros of Pretty Tied Up and The Garden, and the effect on Axl's voice on Estranged when he starts singing "I don't know how you're s'posed to find me lately...".

• Like 2

The deep voice at the beginning of Paradise City and the acoustic guitar in Think About You are some of the first ones that come to mind.

There's not much to praise about Scraped but the 2nd/alternate chorus is cool. (I'd give anything to know, how you live with yourself...)

Not a mixing thing, but "Yep, we're fucked" in Since I Don't Have You.

• Like 2

Great topic! 

Actually for me, in Think About You alongside the acoustic arpegiated pattern in the chorus, I always loved how the chord sequence at the end perfectly sets up the right tonality for the beginning of sweet child. Great musical/dynamic moment!

Edited by Shaolin Punk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shaolin Punk said:

Great topic! 

Actually for me, in Think About You alongside the acoustic arpegiated pattern in the chorus, I always loved how the chord sequence at the end perfectly sets up the right tonality for the beginning of sweet child. Great musical/dynamic moment!

Yeah that is great for sure!  It is a perfect one-two punch side by side, ending TAY on that minor chord vibe going into Sweet Child

4 hours ago, martinb33 said:

I don't know if these can be considered effects or mixing decisions, but I always liked the intros of Pretty Tied Up and The Garden, and the effect on Axl's voice on Estranged when he starts singing "I don't know how you're s'posed to find me lately...".

I am a sucker for that type of vocal effect too ha that sort of "phone call quality" sound right?  I love how it transitions smoothy back to normal as well, it was a really cool effect

• Like 2

The pads/ambient noises during the quiet section of Coma

Axl vocalizing in a very low register during the harmonica section of Bad Obsession

"It was a long time" underneath the chorus in TWAT

During the verses of CD there are these bells playing an ascending pattern. Listen closely, it's buried in the mix

The FX/noises under the verse/chorus in Garden of Eden

Pretty much the entirety of Prostitute. I love pianos/synthesizers and Prostitute has a lot of it :lol:

The entire mixing of The Garden. Mainly the Slash's slide in the chorus coupled with reverby Axls "ahhs". And later on after Alice Coopers 2nd verse when Slashs 7/8 guitar overdubs come in are nicely mixed, with  reverby Axls  "bye bye" screech.

I also like how how Duffs bass is mixed on UYI specifically. Very audible but not overbearing, and very low end heavy

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

Maybe a controversial choice, I know some people think it doesn't fit at all, but I really like the way the "yeaaaaaaaaah baby" from the normal version fades in over the end of the second verse in the alternate version of Don't Cry. 

• Like 1

This thread makes me want to go back and listen to old catalog again. I don't think I've ever noticed the acoustic guitars in Think About You.

All the mixing, recording of the drums and cymbals on Appetite-- They don't just sound like drums being banged and crashed-- They're very instrumental and melodic in their own right, if that makes any sense.

Duffs bass tone in general is so distinctive-- From It's So Easy to Hard Skool.

The moaning dolphin guitars in Estranged that lull you in before Slash's solo.

Coma's full of them.. "Zap the son of a bitch again"

The tin can left-to-right phase in If The World-- Then those drums hit with full force in stereo. 

The coda in Oklahoma-- Those four little escalating notes in the background are so beautiful.

Old Silkworms intro/ Absurd "just another life slips away"

The George Harrison-esque slide guitars with the ambient "Hey heyys" in Hard Skool. Reminds me of Free as a Bird. 

Honorable mention: Yeah, we're fucked

• Like 2

Great thread. Several points have already been mentioned. 
- The acoustic guitars in Think about You are one of the best things about the song, so definitely yes. 
- That weird howling behind the chorus in Shadow of Your Love.
- Izzy’s voice distortion in Double Talkin’ Jive. There are many cool things about the studio version in general. 
- The vocal multiplicity at the beginning of Paradise City. Pure bliss. Plus the first guitar tones and... in fact, the whole beginning. The whole fucking song. 
- The cracking before Axl starts wailing in Dead Horse – the short transition between the acoustic intro and the chorus. The drums! 
- The tinkling bells in Chinese Democracy verses, which weren’t present in the first leaked versions. I loved that instantly. 
- The choruses in There Was a Time (yeah, there was a time, didn't wanna know it all).
- Coma - the guitar work in the tranquillity part, plus all the effects later in the song. 
- The way the crowd was integrated in Get in the Ring, plus the momentum the song is gaining with the soloing towards the end. Awesome piece of gooseflesh music, back then and still. 
- The stuff Axl does with his voice in the fast passages of Breakdown. Plus the banjo. Another masterpiece. 
- Izzy’s sitar in Pretty Tied Up and the whole beginning. 
- The synth (?) effects behind the soloing at the end of Prostitute, which are more prominent in the Village sessions. 
- The beginning of Oh My God, in its entirety. 

• Like 3

Bucket's guitar work at the end of the chorus to Better transitioning into the next verse along with Pitman's synth on the verses.

Finck's playing along with Axl's vocal on the second verse of There Was A Time along with the acoustic guitars during the solo, but the whole album is a treasure trove of hidden gems along with featuring some of the greatest work Axl Rose has ever recorded to my ears.

The really subtle 'Too Hard Skool" heard buried underneath the lead vocal on the outro of Hard Skool.

The mix of Shadow of Your Love is tremendous. Slash sounds incredible on it and I'd have loved for Hard Skool to have similar treatment.

Axl's distorted vocals on Oh My God, particularly the outro.

The middle section of Coma. Need I say more? What a masterpiece.

• Like 1

The middle section of coma with the people talking I love which is weird because I hate the taking on KOHD because it sounds really stupid and out of place. The single drum strike at the end of coma which when I first heard it caught me off guard a bit.

I just love the entire acoustic version of you’re crazy. I’m sure I’ve heard the acoustic guitar on think about you but when people were saying it, I drew a blank. 

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Easily the best thing about the released version.

Well you instantly know it’s duff which is a good sign.

• Like 1