09/08/22 - Rio De Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

alfierose

4 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

shit I would be excited if it was 1991, 92 or '93

Poor concert goers seeing Wichita lineman and other covers from the setlist, basically same setlist since 2016 again

To be honest, I really like Wichita. I'd be more than glad to hear it live. A lot more than the other NITL covers.

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Whatever they done for Rock In Rio III, they got the mix perfect (to my ears).

2 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Bass was loud as fuck, but they messed a lot in the guitars mix during solos. 
you can’t hear Buckethead during SCOM, for example.

Yeah, the guitars are awfully mixed in that one. Just compare how the whole band sounded in Vegas to RIR3 - and Vegas isn't really that great TBH. 

Even though Tommy bass was really loud, it still wasn't punchy, the low frequencies were just not there. Everything sounds like the instruments were recorded with a very weak microphones and straight to the video editing board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Bass was loud as fuck, but they messed a lot in the guitars mix during solos. 
you can’t hear Buckethead during SCOM, for example.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

To be honest, I really like Wichita. I'd be more than glad to hear it live. A lot more than the other NITL covers.

Yeah, the guitars are awfully mixed in that one. Just compare how the whole band sounded in Vegas to RIR3 - and Vegas isn't really that great TBH. 

Even though Tommy bass was really loud, it still wasn't punchy, the low frequencies were just not there. Everything sounds like the instruments were recorded with a very weak microphones and straight to the video editing board.

I think as a cohesive recording, it sounds a lot better than many of the SBD recordings that followed in 2002 as those just sound too polished to my ears. Rio was nuts both in the crowd and on stage and you get the best of both in that recording to my ears. I'm probably biased though as it was my first time hearing a few of those Chinese songs and that show is still in my rotation in the car now and again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinese stew said:

MetallicA puts out pro shot songs after every gig and the mix is just amazing. Loud but crisp. 

You just can't compare Metallica and GNR. It's the total opposite end of the spectrum. Metallica are the kings, GNR are pretenders to the throne. I think GNR probably think they are equals, but in reality Metallica embarrasses GNR on every level. Better live, better fan interaction, better at releasing content, better at releasing albums (slowly but they get there)... I could go on. Metallica have their weak points too, but it's almost never as bad as GNR. Metallica also have a new album in the works, and the music wasn't written 20yrs ago AND I'd bet safely enough that Metallica's next album is released before GNRs (that's going along with the idea GNR have an intention to release an album).

GNR are great too, they just have no clue how to get out of their own way. They think they he less is more approach gives them mystique, to a point it did! not no more though. Still selling lots of tickets, but their stock has gone down considerably.... not that they could have maintained that level of excitement from 2016/2017. Only thing that saves this band at this point is a brilliant album, top to bottom killer. I don't think it's on the cards, especially after the singles they released (quality control has been switched off) though.

RIR... hopefully it's as good as 2017 (low bar), hoping it's better. Would love for this band to be somewhat exciting again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Not that, but they just suck. 

So does Lars to be fair, but at least his social media persona isn't as cringy as those leeches

Lars would be the coolest thing about GNR if he was attached to it these days.

He has a bad rep from that 1995-2005 period of snottiness (tbf how does anyone deal with that kind of fame/wealth), but I actually think he's become quite likeable these days. 

As for TB, yeah as managers they just don't have it. I would love to hear some of their ideas though, I mean it's possible they are suggesting gold standard shit and Axl is stonewalling it.... 'possible'😄. Judging by how Fernando handled the GNR selects project, I currently have very little faith in them/him. 

• Like 1