Do you think Axl will ever sound as good as 2016?

Do you think Axl will ever sound as good as 2016?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Axl will ever sound as good as 2016?

• Yes, Axl will sound good as 2016 again.
    • No, Axl will never sound as good as 2016 again.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2022 at 12:00 PM

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2016 still had plenty of Mickey, but the seemingly effortless rasp on stuff like WTTJ or OTGM was pretty much gone by 2017 and it's continued downhill since then.

He sang clean but definitely not Mickey, for the most part, there is a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangoSkank said:

I just listened to two Jungle performances - Pittsburgh 2016 and Hollywood, FL 2020 and I do see what people are saying now. Kind of a shame but it is what it is.

It is what it is until he decides it isn't. He can reverse some of the decline and get some of his range back... it's like Bon Jovi, people say retire but really it should be mark off 3 months and work with a vocal coach who whips you into shape, when you hit the road take the coach with you. Invest in your long term singing ability, don't just take it for granted! I'm sure he's quite aware that he's having more difficulties now than he used to... the only question is whether he's decided in his head "ah this is just age" or "I should probably do something about this"... I think it's probably the former. I thought he sounded reasonable with Carrie Underwood (not great) so there is a hint of hope that he sings well this year and isn't a total mess like the start of last years tour.

It’s got to the point where even his most ardent supporters can’t justify his performances. Some of the NITL selects are atrocious, and they are supposed to be the best performances?? 

if I was him I would feel bad about charging fans that much to hear such garbage vocal performances.

he was ok in 2016, bar acdc still not great. In terms of post 90s break up, 2006 and 2010 he was an absolute beast, utterly incredible. 2012 was the start of the irreversible decline. he's 60. people say train it up. It's beyond that now. It's degraded too much and he's almost a pensioner. no rock singers sound great in their 60s. actually i take that back, maybe steven tyler. he still obviously doesn't sound prime, but he does sound 'Fn' good

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Axl deliberately chooses to sing the mickey way, that's a fact, people tend to forget this. I don't think he blew his voice in ACDC. AXLDC surprised everyone. I'm sure he could sing with more rasp if he chose to but the reality is, for how long? He's getting old, it takes a toll/is more demanding singing the raspy way and a lot of the time he chooses to sing the mickey way. He's probably constantly trying to prioritize preserving his voice so that he doesn't blow his voice so he can keep touring and touring and touring.

If he does another stint with ACDC or wants rasp for recording he'll probably bring his A game.

I'm an optimistic realist. Personally, I think he should stop running around while singing, should drop certain songs, should make the show shorter but sweeter, should change his approach and sing lower more often. Looks like he's been dieting and exercising so hopefully he's training his vocals too.

I agree.

Also, there is a way to pull off the drive in a healthy way, even though this is not what Axl did in 2009/10 and 2016 with AC/DC. But he always managed to sing just fine when he really cared and wanted. The drive itself could actually be easier to pull it off with  low notes, but the mixed voice may be trickier, so I guess he's after the less stressful thing to do, which is singing with more headvoice where he can. 

Alfie is right, people never even considered Axl could sing "good" (meaning, with power and drive) again since 2000. It all changed when Better leaked in 2005 and he started the 2006 tour. By the beginning of 2016, everyone also doubted Axl could do justice to the AC/DC songs. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

he was ok in 2016, bar acdc still not great. 

Even the AC/DC performances weren't great all around.  I thought he sounded great on the Brian Johnson stuff.  Some of those performances were jaw dropping..  The Bon Scott stuff not so much.. Lot's of Mickey...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3rd Wheel said:

I saw them twice in 2016. If what we're hoping for from Axl is his "2016 voice", then things aren't looking good.

Axl's 2016 GN'R voice was the best since 2010, and Axl's 2016 AC/DC voice was the best since the 90s. I could only wish he'd get back to the 2016 version now. 

Everything would be cool if he just finds a way to eliminate Mickey. Different tunings, different vocal approach. Just use the natural singing voice whenever possible, that alone would sound way, way cooler on YCBM, November Rain, even Paradise City. 

9 hours ago, jamillos said:

Axl's 2016 GN'R voice was the best since 2010, and Axl's 2016 AC/DC voice was the best since the 90s. I could only wish he'd get back to the 2016 version now. 

I don't agree at all.

In the end of 2011 tour or the last 3 shows from 2014, in the last Vegas Residence, his voice was much better than 2016, regarding GN'R songs (i am not including Axl/DC in this comparison)

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, Tom2112 said:

You call Hetfield talking about mental health falling apart? this is moronic and immature on so many levels. I'll break it down for you though, Axl didn't even pass the first hurdle, he was a mental health advocate on stage from the early 90s and he fell apart spectacularly all the way through the 90s 00s and has only just got his shit together... right at the same time his voice is going because he's too proud to do the work or change a few keys.

More importantly Hetfield can confidently sing every song in the Metallica set and he sounds like James Hetfield, Axl can not do the same with GNR. 

im not talking about moral, im talking about being a show star and doing the rockstar perf being an old man  

1 hour ago, darkside259 said:

im not talking about moral, im talking about being a show star and doing the rockstar perf being an old man  

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I believe you're objection is that someone in a band is onstage and not just doing the "how are you tonight" shtick. I'd rather hear these people on stage talking like real people and saying sincere things that are said in the moment rather than the same rockstar performance stage speak said at every show at the same spot each night. 

Like what you want at the end of the day. I just don't see what is so offensive to you about what he said. 

36 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Nah, he's not gonna put the effort in for his voice to improve beyond the point it's currently at. 

More than likely, but it would be incredible if he did prove us wrong

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I believe you're objection is that someone in a band is onstage and not just doing the "how are you tonight" shtick. I'd rather hear these people on stage talking like real people and saying sincere things that are said in the moment rather than the same rockstar performance stage speak said at every show at the same spot each night. 

Like what you want at the end of the day. I just don't see what is so offensive to you about what he said. 

More than likely, but it would be incredible if he did prove us wrong

im not talking about if he s right or wrong for talking about his issue im speaking about how axl still being able to do a full guns n roses  show of 2 hours and doing all the classics and running and singing around being 60s and don t fall apart for age/psicological/addiction/heath issues, is like a tyson comeback at his age, nobody says he s still faster or strong like his young is about still doing the thing. 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, Nintari said:

No he doesn't lol. Go watch Metallica perform Master of Puppets live in Seattle in 1989... then go watch that group-hug nonsense back to back and tell me James still sounds like James. It's just tragic how far that band has fallen. If James has mental health issues that he can't reel in on stage, he should retire, go deal with them, heal and be happy. This is not Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. This is metal. It's suppose to be done a certain way. And watching a sixty-year-old-man cry it out on stage while his band mates console him is not the right way.

I know that sounds callus and blunt, but it's true. If I want to watch that sort of thing on stage, I'll start liking Harry Styles.

Wow. You're a sad individual

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Does anyone think that AcDC (Angus) forced Axl to use and practice with a vocal coach prior to and during their time touring?  He was just so strong vocally during that time and went right back to normal after it was done.

my guess is the motivation to put in the effort was Axl's. Seems like he took the job seriously cause it was a dream come true for him so maybe he didn't want to fuck it up so he did everything in his power to nail the vocals.

• Like 1

Probably not, but with Axl it's impossible to say for sure..

I think he gave it his all in 2016 and is suffering the consequences. On top of which his long serving vocal coach, who coached him for ACDC, has passed away. And of course the sands of time only move one way...

However his energy and showmanship at that Carrie Underwood concert was fantastic and for that reason I'd still go see Guns again.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, darkside259 said:

im not talking about if he s right or wrong for talking about his issue im speaking about how axl still being able to do a full guns n roses  show of 2 hours and doing all the classics and running and singing around being 60s and don t fall apart for age/psicological/addiction/heath issues, is like a tyson comeback at his age, nobody says he s still faster or strong like his young is about still doing the thing. 

This is really ironic considering how open Axl has been about his mental health both onstage and off. Axl has taken years off his career dealing with mental health issues. James Hetfield being open about mental health issues is metal as hell and breaks down a lot of the stigma and machismo behind burying such issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

This is really ironic considering how open Axl has been about his mental health both onstage and off. Axl has taken years off his career dealing with mental health issues. James Hetfield being open about mental health issues is metal as hell and breaks down a lot of the stigma and machismo behind burying such issues.

im not saying that, maybe im poorly explain myself if that the case im sorry, just trying to say that axl being 60 and still perf the rockstar act is something not every musician of his era has acomplish and that is a very dificult thing to do all in mind, kudos to james to speak his problem in the stage and leave behind his macho bullshit behind years ago, also drinking arg "mate" :)   

13 hours ago, darkside259 said:

im not saying that, maybe im poorly explain myself if that the case im sorry, just trying to say that axl being 60 and still perf the rockstar act is something not every musician of his era has acomplish and that is a very dificult thing to do all in mind, kudos to james to speak his problem in the stage and leave behind his macho bullshit behind years ago, also drinking arg "mate" :)   

Yes but Axl has had numerous meltdowns on stage in the past and has taken long gaps between performing. Its easier to do that than Metallica who've played shows pretty much every year with the exception of 2001. There's a bunch of bands from his generation still performing and some even older so its not that unique. I think Guns N' Roses fans are happy because we've been through the long droughts of nothing.