The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

Yeah but they can't consistently do this. They can't even fill up arenas in the States.

Sometimes. On the other hand, in 3 1/2 years of existence, they have multiple biggest and second biggest gates for multiple arenas and even nationwide since 1999. MLW has been running the ECW Arena for like the past year of shows.

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Who cares about sounding dated? lol I never understood that criticism. All music can be identified by the time period it was created. What does that even mean? lol it doesn't make OMG any better or worse of a song. 

Not all music is dated. Some music has a kind of timeless quality. But OMG is so 1999 it might as well have frosted tips and a puka shell necklace on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Not all music is dated. Some music has a kind of timeless quality. But OMG is so 1999 it might as well have frosted tips and a puka shell necklace on. 

Timeless is subjective. When you listen to Appetite, it screams 80s. OMG sounding like it's from 1999 means nothing. If you like the song you like it regardless of how much it reminds you of a time. So many young people only listen to music that's from the past year or current year because of thinking like that. Once a few years has past those songs are relegated to the past. Shitty way to regard art. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wadernation said:

I’m a big fan of OMG. Love Axl’s vocals and lyrics 👍🏻

Totally agree. I absolutely love his vocals. And the lyrics are really interesting.  Really catchy chorus.

I love the music. I love everything about OMG. It's probably in my top 20 GnR songs.  Maybe top 25.  I loved it in 99 and I still love it today. I never saw reason for a rerelease.  I wish the whole album sounded like OMG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Timeless is subjective. When you listen to Appetite, it screams 80s. OMG sounding like it's from 1999 means nothing. If you like the song you like it regardless of how much it reminds you of a time. So many young people only listen to music that's from the past year or current year because of thinking like that. Once a few years has past those songs are relegated to the past. Shitty way to regard art. 

I absolutely agree with you.

It just made me think of appetite V the illusions.

I honestly feel like the illusion albums sound more 'dated' than appetite.

But I love them both anyway.

I like OMG, and think it is a really cool vibe.  I truly think the only reason why Axl said it was a demo was because he wasn't pleased with the initial reception, because technically every Chinese Democracy track was probably a demo even on November 22nd 2008 until the day it was released and unable to be tinkered with

That said as much as I like OMG, I hope it never takes the slot of a new album or EP in a reworked version - it was released officially and that's that.  I would much rather see a new or different song instead of it popping up again

• Like 3

IIRC, Axl was tinkering with OMG only hours before its release. It was the same with the Illusions. FFS, the only reason we got Chinese was because the industry giant Azoff practically wrenched the album out of his hands.

Its clear as day. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

Literally WWE has been packed and setting records weekly on TV and house shows.

I think that’s clever work by the way they set up, given Clash At The Castle was giving away tickets in Cardiff, they’re known to do it too in the US, as well as only showing you the hard camera side which is set up for the razzle dazzle. I’m not favouriting one or the other, it’s all bad.

The only selling out stadium artist nowadays are pretty much your Taylor Swifts and the like.

2 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Not much great music has a timeless quality. It’s liked over a long period of time and by different generations but most music is “of it’s time” rather than timeless. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I’m not favouriting one or the other

Not favouring anyone either, but the difference is the other one is profiting the other one is paying more than it's earning. btw you should see wrestletix on twitter, it'll show you the ticket sales of both company

Original version released as a bonus track. 

Final reworked version. 

It's not that uncommon. Megadeth reworked 4 songs for Thirteen album that were previously already released either as a soundtrack song, Japanese bonus track or early demo version. Here's Black Swan as what they felt wasn't finished properly.

• Like 1

Axl and Guns fans in general overthink music way too much. 

Guns were a great hard rock band. They never needed to be more modern, grungy, Nu Metal, Industrial or anything else. 

Not all music needs to be epic or even well received. This approach to music has led to 1 album in 30 years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Axl and Guns fans in general overthinks music way too much. 

It's all on him. After all, people seem to enjoy even stuff like Absurd, so I'd say the overthinking only stems from a single source. 

It's understandable, he's a legend and has a legacy to preserve, but as you say, if this is the result, then... jeez. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think OMG is a pretty cool song, the mix does have a demo sound... but listen to some of the albums that came out in the late 90s early 00s, mixes were weird back then. I just listened to the Murderdolls album again for the first time in years, it's the most bizarre mix i've ever heard. 

OMG vs Absurd... not even a question. Would love to hear the updated OMG with Bumble

BTW... They also rehearsed OMG several times, but never played it... Hopefully it's gonna be different with perhaps... 🙈

On a bit of Chinese binge today. Why oh why did they drop the shaker from Riad! It gave a groovy vibe.

Tommy's bass in the early mixes is heartbreaking to hear, the final cut lost all the bass heavy parts. 

In fact back in 2019 when the tracks started to leak, the title track especially, I just remember a post saying "wow, Tommy really got fucked over". Yup. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I dunno, the drums were very strange on it. The whole thing just seemed really low quality. 

The Bumble version we gave with the new Brain drums is far preferable. 

That’s called ‘a bad mix’. For further information please listen to ‘…And Justice for All’ by Metallica, ‘Van Halen III’ by VH or ‘Be Here Now’ by Oasis. 

a bad mix is not synonymous with a ‘demo’. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I guess OMG didn't represent what Axl wanted it to be artistically after he released it, maybe thought it needed more work. He did write an open letter about it so it seems like it was an important track and Axl had to know it was going to be released in the state of completion it was at the time. 

47 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

That’s called ‘a bad mix’. For further information please listen to ‘…And Justice for All’ by Metallica, ‘Van Halen III’ by VH or ‘Be Here Now’ by Oasis. 

I've always liked the everything and kitchen sink approach on Be Here Now haha. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

OMG kinda sounds like a project bounce to me, not a song that properly went through a mixing and mastering process. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

OMG kinda sounds like a project bounce to me, not a song that properly went through a mixing and mastering process. 

A project bounce is technically still just a mix?

if I open a pro tools project, record, balance the tracks and export it with zero plug ins or compression or anything, that is still technically A mix. A shit one, but a mix nonetheless. 

it would’ve been mastered for a soundtrack. Mastering is the treatment to optimise for use across sound systems, which would’ve been necessary for use in a film and CD. 

what is the version we are all listening to? I’m referring to the one on the EOD soundtrack on YouTube? 

For a band that’s released 2 songs in 15 years, let’s please not resort to rereleasing a song that had its moment. Yes, the mix was mediocre and the song does deserve better, but because we barely get anything from this band I think rereleasing a song is a total waste of time and disappointment for the fans. If a full album was on the way, then by all means go for it, until then, let’s leave it in the past.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

I've always liked the everything and kitchen sink approach on Be Here Now haha. 

The 'Kitchen Sink' approach only works if care is taken to place all the instrumental and vocal parts carefully in the mix, and record them properly and even write good parts in the first place (examples of where this worked - Chinese Democracy, early Queen albums, 70s Todd Rundgren albums). 

In the case of Be Here Now, Oasis seemed to have just slapped a load of guitar parts and orchestras on top of eachother, and then fucked off down the pub. 

And yet I still like it!

• Like 2