The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

37 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Anyone else really loving The General still?

Say what you like about this band, I've genuinely loved all four of the standalone singles they've put from ABSURD to The General.

Haven't listened to it again since the day it was officially released. I also don't listen to Absurd, Hardskool or Perhaps at all. When I am in the mood to hear Hardskool, I will listen to the old leak. I will never on purpose listen to the official version, and that goes for Absurd as well. 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Say what you like about this band, I've genuinely loved all four of the standalone singles they've put from ABSURD to The General.

Yes I do, still think the releases apart from Absurd, is all great. Also Monsters.

Hoping for a new single this year

• Like 2

75% of CD is really strong and I listen to those songs all the time.

Of the 4 CD Leftovers, I rank them in this order:

Perhaps

Hard Skool

Absurd

The General

..and I think Absurd is a horrible track but compared to The General, it might as well be November Rain.

The General is that unlistenable. It literally hurts my ears to listen to that pile of crap.

Edited by Illusion1987
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I like it. Ironically, as “wtf” as the music video is, it actually fits the vibe. The music video was weakly planned, and doesn’t make sense. It fits the song perfectly in the same sense that a multi platinum record selling band would release a song with clipping! It doesn’t make sense! 

all jokes aside, I like the song. Not the kind of thing I’d ever put on with other people. Not bc it’s bad, but bc it’s too intimate/introspective for casually listening. It’s not Axl’s fault it’s been overhyped for years and bound to fail 

Out of the singles, perhaps and hardskool are the only two songs that could be put on in the background at a hang 😂

• Like 1

Guns songs I listen to the most:

Bad Apples, Pretty Tied Up, Dust N Bones, So Fine, 14 Years, Civil War, etc.

Songs I hardly listen to:

Absurd, The General, Perhaps, etc :shrugs:

To Axl: please release something that ROCKS and doesn't take itself too seriously. Enough with the overly dramatic stuff please. Make it fun again.

Bring Izzy back as a songwriter.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

I find it strange how The General has illicited such strong reactions from the GNR hardcores. To me, it's easily better than at least 6-7 tracks from Chinese. 

Least we have some newer songs to talk of and discuss

...hoping 5 years from now we've had a fair few more and best case scenario, an album, be it a complication of these kinda tracks, a covers record TSI2 style or (less likely) a ground up Nu-Old-Guns LP...or perhaps hybrid (slightly more likely) 🤞

I'll take just about anything as a positive...as activity is better than deathly silence...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

It’s not Axl’s fault it’s been overhyped for years and bound to fail

I don't think that's why people are disappointed with it. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's very repetitive, soaked in effects, it's just not a great song. :shrugs:

After The General, Soul Monster was absolutely the next most hyped song, and most people here think it's the best 'leftover' we've heard. It seems to have actually lived up to the hype. So I don't think The General was bound to fail because it had become mythical, it failed because it's boring.

I find it strange how The General has illicited such strong reactions from the GNR hardcores. To me, it's easily better than at least 6-7 tracks from Chinese. 

I'd say Monsters is the only song we've heard that could've replaced anything on CD... and maybe Hardschool if they'd kept it similar to the Village version.

I'd love to hear the Bucket/Robin versions of these songs, but I still don't think The General would've been strong enough to replace anything on CD.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

My ranking:

Monsters-Great song through and through. Prefer the solo in the cell clip to Slash's bluesy take

Hard Skool-Great song, final version suffers from horrid echo effect on the vocals, but has superior guitar work to the demo.

The General-Good song ruined by too many effects and a weak melody from Brain/Xtract

Absurd-Shit song. Abrasive riffing contrasts poorly with the punk vocals, Silkworms was much better

Perhaps-Outside of the main piano melody, this song is just pure vomit. Worst song from the CD era. Fucking awful in every respect. Demo is more listenable but both versions are awful

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think that's why people are disappointed with it. It doesn't really go anywhere, it's very repetitive, soaked in effects, it's just not a great song. :shrugs:

After The General, Soul Monster was absolutely the next most hyped song, and most people here think it's the best 'leftover' we've heard. It seems to have actually lived up to the hype. So I don't think The General was bound to fail because it had become mythical, it failed because it's boring.

I'd say Monsters is the only song we've heard that could've replaced anything on CD... and maybe Hardschool if they'd kept it similar to the Village version.

I'd love to hear the Bucket/Robin versions of these songs, but I still don't think The General would've been strong enough to replace anything on CD.

Atlas or even SoG could have replaced Scraped and the likes easily, come on.

Edited by jamillos

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I still don't think The General would've been strong enough to replace anything on CD.

You seriously think Scraped and If The World are better songs than The General? They're really really not.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Riad is the weakest song on CD and a 'Rocker' so Harsdschool could have easily been in it's place on the album, and maybe been track number 2 to really give the album the hard rock punch before going into the epic stuff. Monsters would easily be a top 5 track on CD. I'm upset Atlas never made it, that was an obvious radio song from the album. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Perhaps-Outside of the main piano melody, this song is just pure vomit. Worst song from the CD era. Fucking awful in every respect. Demo is more listenable but both versions are awful

Perhaps is the closest to UYI song. It's catchy, good but not great and classic sounding. The weakest part of the song is the second verse is the same as 1st verse. it sounds like half a song just doubled to full length, which seems lazy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Perhaps is the closest to UYI song. It's catchy, good but not great and classic sounding. The weakest part of the song is the second verse is the same as 1st verse. it sounds like half a song just doubled to full length, which seems lazy

It is lazy. After the solo, you've heard everything the song has to offer. :/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Towelie said:

Hard Skool is probably my least favorite (boring song), but I've enjoyed all of the rest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

I really love the General. In my heas all the time !!!

I still listen.  Just got my Japanese CD as well.  Absurd is embarrassing to me as an older GnR fan. IMO monsters is the best of what hasn't been officially released followed by AS.  Looking forward to what comes this year